996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Need Help Passing Inspection in NC...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Serenity Now
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Passing Inspection in NC...

Actually everything passed except for the window tint. I didn't have it installed, previous owner did. It's a nice job and is on both sides and back glass. The inspector said it would not pass unless both sides AND back window had tint removed. I think it registered a 20% level and 15 was the legal % (or something similar)?

Does anyone know of a place/inspection station in Wake or Johnston County that would allow me to pass? (feel free to PM me instead of posting if you'd rather)

Also, why does it matter if the back glass is tinted? My truck has a tinted back glass that is much darker than my porsche and it passed fine. The inspector said it was a rule that applied to cars, not SUV's & trucks... which I think is BS.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:41 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Have you tried European Performance in Raleigh on Hillsborough? Where did you get your car inspected anyway?
Old 05-09-2008, 08:28 PM
RoadWarrior19
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Here you go:

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle_ser...n/tinting.html
Old 05-09-2008, 11:02 PM
Serenity Now
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swrd911
Thanks, I read that earlier today. I looked at my inspection report when I got home. It says 32% minimum and mine read 18%. So..... I'm screwed unless I want to have it ripped out, inspected, and reapplied. I think a ticket will cost me less than that.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:46 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

A ticket? Do you understand that there are MORE ramifications than that? You will NOT be permitted to renew your plate registration as well. Then, your insurance company would need their explanation and the list keeps growing. Not to mention the fees and civil penalties that you will be assessed until fixed.

Personally, I would get a "friendly" shop to do the inspection or better yet, get the tint removed. After all, it is ILLEGAL. Have you talked to European like I said? Head on down there and ask them if the tint is going to be a problem. It would help if you had a relationship with them already as most places aren't going to overlook things if there is nothing for them to gain. Good luck with your search but remember that if you DO happen to get a friendly shop and get pulled over for window tint and they see that your car was inspected, they will then go after the shop as well.

Long story short? Remove the tint or if you like having the windows tinted get it redone.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:44 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
A ticket? Do you understand that there are MORE ramifications than that? You will NOT be permitted to renew your plate registration as well. Then, your insurance company would need their explanation and the list keeps growing. Not to mention the fees and civil penalties that you will be assessed until fixed.

Personally, I would get a "friendly" shop to do the inspection or better yet, get the tint removed. After all, it is ILLEGAL. Have you talked to European like I said? Head on down there and ask them if the tint is going to be a problem. It would help if you had a relationship with them already as most places aren't going to overlook things if there is nothing for them to gain. Good luck with your search but remember that if you DO happen to get a friendly shop and get pulled over for window tint and they see that your car was inspected, they will then go after the shop as well.

Long story short? Remove the tint or if you like having the windows tinted get it redone.
Good advice Dell.

Quick Reply: Need Help Passing Inspection in NC...