Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 04:52 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plenum dyno wars..

Did you guys see this?

WEST COAST PLENUM DYNO DAY”

The time has come. Although the IPD plenum has been widely received with great praise and customer satisfaction, there are a few individuals who have embarked on personal anti-marketing campaigns against the IPD plenum. Many dyno tests have been performed (both by us, our dealers and our customers) and have yielding results that substantiate our manufacturer’s claims. We here at RSS and IPD say it’s time to settle this IPD plenum debate once and for all.

RSS and IPD will host a “West Coast Plenum Dyno Day” in the Southern California area. We are looking for 4 cars; 997S, 997, 996 and 987S. All participants will receive preferential IPD plenum pricing, free plenum installation, free dyno testing and free lunch. We are looking for well respected board members who are active and share unbiased reports and data within their respective forum communities. All results will be posted on-line for everyone to view. We welcome any non-participant spectators as well as any “Dyno Police” to attend all the dyno testing and to ensure that proper dyno protocol is strictly followed during all tests. Obviously we prefer cars with few to zero mods installed in order to obtain the most accurate horsepower and torque gains provided by the IPD plenum.

The “West Coast Plenum Dyno Day” will be held in Orange County on Saturday, May 31st (2008), details to be announced later this week.

Don’t worry East Coast guys, you won’t be left out. We’re taking this Plenum Show on the road. “East Coast Plenum Dyno Day” is coming soon.

Any interested parties please contact us directly by e-mail at sales@roadsportsupply.com
Old 05-08-2008, 05:42 PM
DanJK
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be truly accurate, the East Coast Day is a must.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:16 PM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Of course to really, truly accurate, it needs to take place in the DC area.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:02 PM
pszikla
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't have the plenum mod yet but I was really close to buying one and then saw the recent post on
6speed that showed no gains on the 997.
Perhaps as some have speculated the 997 has been evolved much more and the older engines may find some benefit after all.
This will hopefully be a good test for all to see!
Pete
Old 05-08-2008, 07:14 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

And for us in the midwest, one in the Chicago area would provide the final proof.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:18 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by deckman
Boston is really the most plenum friendly place
Old 05-08-2008, 07:20 PM
Irksome
Racer

I was involved in some dyno testing of a competing product concept, which also included 1 car with the IPD plenum. Bottom line: power loss or power curve redistribution across all cars, no gains. Repeatable, multiple days, multiple dynos, two different dyno technologies. The alternative product was never brought to market. I still have a prototype in my car (keep not finding time to get it out!!!), and I noticed literally nothing different from my butt dyno, not even the 'better throttle response'. Now, this is NOT the IPD plenum, but it is the same concept implemented differently. But the car with the IPD plenum in it did not demonstrate HP gains as expected (though the comparison was done to a dyno from a different day, so that conclusion is iffy, at best).

I am looking forward to the results of this dyno day, hopefully it will put to rest permanently whether the IPD plenum does or does not do anything. If it does, and comes even close to the 30hp claim, it is well worth the money. And if it tests out with all these people watching and across all these cars I might even believe the claims! =)
Old 05-08-2008, 07:23 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

*high fiving* My man!

Originally Posted by deckman
Old 05-08-2008, 07:26 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I look forward to the results
Old 05-08-2008, 07:33 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Ehh, I believe it brings ~7-9 hp to the wheels with other bolt on's.

Originally Posted by Irksome
I was involved in some dyno testing of a competing product concept, which also included 1 car with the IPD plenum. Bottom line: power loss or power curve redistribution across all cars, no gains. Repeatable, multiple days, multiple dynos, two different dyno technologies. The alternative product was never brought to market. I still have a prototype in my car (keep not finding time to get it out!!!), and I noticed literally nothing different from my butt dyno, not even the 'better throttle response'. Now, this is NOT the IPD plenum, but it is the same concept implemented differently. But the car with the IPD plenum in it did not demonstrate HP gains as expected (though the comparison was done to a dyno from a different day, so that conclusion is iffy, at best).

I am looking forward to the results of this dyno day, hopefully it will put to rest permanently whether the IPD plenum does or does not do anything. If it does, and comes even close to the 30hp claim, it is well worth the money. And if it tests out with all these people watching and across all these cars I might even believe the claims! =)
Old 05-08-2008, 07:46 PM
Irksome
Racer

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
Ehh, I believe it brings ~7-9 hp to the wheels with other bolt on's.
I believe nothing. I've seen dyno charts with increases, and dyno charts with decreases. IPD claims higher numbers with the earlier 996 generation (3.4l engines) than later 996s (3.6l engines), and I haven't followed the claims for the 997. In any case, with the AWE results vs. the IPD results, I think this event they are planning is a great idea and hopefully will sort it all out. =)
Old 05-08-2008, 07:53 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

I think most of us following this have seen the increases and decreases, right now the increases are winning. I'd certainly like to see the 3.4l dyno runs, and if the location is close enough to DC I will have my car dyno'd again.

It really should be in the DC area, I mean we are the creators of PCA, right? Also, lots of dyno shops even some AWD shops. I've been to most.

I believe nothing. I've seen dyno charts with increases, and dyno charts with decreases. IPD claims higher numbers with the earlier 996 generation (3.4l engines) than later 996s (3.6l engines), and I haven't followed the claims for the 997. In any case, with the AWE results vs. the IPD results, I think this event they are planning is a great idea and hopefully will sort it all out. =)
Old 05-08-2008, 08:24 PM
gofor28off
Racer

I too am happy to see this response from IPD, and I look forward to the results.
I have the plenum, and although I will agree that the 24hp claimed gain is optimistic but I thought I felt the car pulled better with it.
After I had a problem in for a while, I did the throttle body cleaning service and sprayed an off-the-shelf throttle body cleaner into the throttle body. Well, the cleaner dissolved the orange liner of the IPD plenum. Made a bit of a mess so I pulled it out, thoroughly cleaned the TB and intake tubes and then re-installed the original plastic plenum.
I was a bit pissed at this as I could have easily removed the TB before using a cleaner but I had no reason to think the lining would dissolve and run. I was disappointed and contacted RSS through the dealer I bought it from and they replaced it, so I feel they came through for me. Thanks to Pfaff Tuning and RSS.
Anyway, after putting the original stock plenum back in I definitely felt that the car was not as strong, especially in the upper revs; felt kind of "flat", so I think there is an improvement in how it runs with the IPD, if not an actual peak gain.
Regardless I look forward to these dyno results and to those of you that have the IPD plenum DO NOT SPRAY TB CLEANER INTO IT!!! Easy to remove TB before cleaning.
Cheers, Paul.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:27 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

997 3.6 claim is same as 996 3.6: 24/22
I don't see a dyno chart for 997 3.6 though, ad the chart for 997S says Cargraphic exhaust on the top
Greater NYC might be a nice central place for an east coast dyno session.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:51 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry guys but hasn't this plenum been proven to not show any gains? There are several posts on the 997 forum where a member gave his car to AWE Tuning, they tested, found no gains, asked RSS for another one and tested again and at the end of the day it made next to no additional power. ?????

Quick Reply: Plenum dyno wars..