Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

changed my brakes with hawk hps.. a few questions..

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 11:03 PM
jkb
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changed my brakes with hawk hps.. a few questions..

hi there,
so i spent my day today swapping out both front and rear worn out OEM pads with Hawk HPS pads. i do have a few questions though:
  1. I have decided not to install both rear and front vibration dampeners for now since i will want to swap to pagid track pads in a few weeks. Question: will not having both rear and front vibration dampeners affect brake performance or brake safety in any way? I am aware of possible "sound like a train" effect
  2. This is the final result. As you can see the brake sensor wire is missing. I decided not to drill the pad for the sensor and simply shortened the cable and tie-wrapped it:

Does it look right to you? (hi-res image)
  3. The front Hawk HPS pads are missing the little notch my finger is pointing at on both sides. Is this normal? It seems like that notch is where the spring clip pushes against:

thanks...
P.S. - What is a good caliper spreader to buy and where?
Old 05-09-2008, 08:05 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

1. No brake performance or safety issues whatsoever.

2. Yes it looks right.

3. Not needed. The cotter pin is what holds the pads down.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:12 AM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jkb
P.S. - What is a good caliper spreader to buy and where?
I have one of these, which will spread two opposing pistons at a time. I roll the pads out so that they're between the lower pistons and the brake disc, compress the upper pistons, remove the pads and compress the lower pistons. I believe I bought it a couple of years ago from Sir Tools:
Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2008, 09:20 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Just a $0.02 comment JKB.. I one time replaced my stock oem pads with the HPS and found out that the HPS were less in performance vs. the OEM stock pads.
The HPS started fading on me in the middle of the afternoon heat at a DE. So I put back the OEMs and was trouble free(fade free) in that last two days of the DE.

P.S. I did not go for the more agrresive track pads to learn how the car will really do in its street use.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:58 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carrera Mike
Just a $0.02 comment JKB.. I one time replaced my stock oem pads with the HPS and found out that the HPS were less in performance vs. the OEM stock pads.
The HPS started fading on me in the middle of the afternoon heat at a DE. So I put back the OEMs and was trouble free(fade free) in that last two days of the DE.

P.S. I did not go for the more agrresive track pads to learn how the car will really do in its street use.
That would make sense. The HPS pads are "only" sport street pads, not track pads. HP Plus are more track pads than the HPS.

I went with Pagid yellow front and black rears for the track. I hope this summer I'll feel how well the brakes are.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Donsbach
I have one of these, which will spread two opposing pistons at a time. I roll the pads out so that they're between the lower pistons and the brake disc, compress the upper pistons, remove the pads and compress the lower pistons. I believe I bought it a couple of years ago from Sir Tools:
I must be a cheap bastard, 'cuz I'm very content with my channel lock pliers.

Someone else recommended the HPS pads to me. I use OEM, I guess since I don't know any better. Let me know how you like 'em.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:44 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I use a set of pliers as well. I put a microfiber over the caliper (to protect the paint) and the squeeze the pad and caliper together and remove the pad.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:43 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Here's how I use my "magic" channel lock pliers. Easy as pie. Key is to exert constant pressure and wait until the pads are completely backed out. Photo courtesy of Loren at renntech.org.
Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2008, 08:34 PM
jkb
Racer

Originally Posted by LVDell
1. No brake performance or safety issues whatsoever.

2. Yes it looks right.

3. Not needed. The cotter pin is what holds the pads down.
thanks dell... am i the only one who thinks "wow, the only thing separating myself between braking and brick wall is a little tiny pin" after doing own brakes?
Old 05-09-2008, 08:34 PM
jkb
Racer

Originally Posted by Palting
Here's how I use my "magic" channel lock pliers. Easy as pie. Key is to exert constant pressure and wait until the pads are completely backed out. Photo courtesy of Loren at renntech.org.
yeah thats what i used, but some pistons pushed back out after pads were out -- had to use hands
Old 05-09-2008, 08:44 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jkb
thanks dell... am i the only one who thinks "wow, the only thing separating myself between braking and brick wall is a little tiny pin" after doing own brakes?
hehehehe. It's not going anywhere

The only difference between the brakes on my CAB (like yours) and my GT3 is that the GT3 brakes take that pin a step further.....it is beefier and instead of just snapping a pin clip into the cotter pin you actually SCREW it into the caliper.

Amazing though how simple the brakes are to do in these cars isn't it? Job well done my friend

Quick Reply: changed my brakes with hawk hps.. a few questions..