Sponsored by:

Do you have a remanufactured engine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 06:01 PM
wrljet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by perryinva
Is there any easy way to tell if you have the original engine?
The motor number is on the side of the bottom of the motor, near
the oil pan mating surface, towards the front of the motor, visible
with a flashing looking in from the driver side behind the wheel.

If you have a 2002 car, the original motor number would start with 662.
(according to the factory doc the numbers start with 66200501 and run
up from there, but mine is 6620382)

A remanufactured motor probably has an X or AT in the number.

Bill
Old 04-30-2008, 02:08 AM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jury_ca
^^Yet you can't help but comment on it? Go ahead and interpret the anecdotal data any way you see fit...those of us with scientific credentials know which part of this thread is crap.

And spare me your sanctimony...I earned the right to name-call when I bought a Porsche and was immediately labelled an *******. Boo-effing-hoo!
I normally stay out of these exchanges but based on your idiotic comments I have to post. Your opinion and that's all it is, is wrong. A Porsche factory reman is every bit as good as the "new" ones you think you are referring to because you obviously don't have a clue about the inner workings of Porsche. Anything they replace under warranty meets or exceeds the tolerances of the failed part(s) that came off the car and those goiing to paying customers receive nothing less themselves.

Need more info? Go here http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...facturedparts/

What do I know? I was a partner in a Porsche exclusive motorsports facility that dealt directly with Porsche Motorsports (also our engine source) we replaced a lot of 996 motors, built our own, and also transplanted them (996 motors) in to Boxsters - not to mention stuffing a factory X-51 997 3.8L in to a Cayman S chassis. It was a reman BTW.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:02 AM
jury_ca
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat-6 Performance
I normally stay out of these exchanges but based on your idiotic comments I have to post. Your opinion and that's all it is, is wrong. A Porsche factory reman is every bit as good as the "new" ones you think you are referring to because you obviously don't have a clue about the inner workings of Porsche. Anything they replace under warranty meets or exceeds the tolerances of the failed part(s) that came off the car and those goiing to paying customers receive nothing less themselves.

Need more info? Go here http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...facturedparts/

What do I know? I was a partner in a Porsche exclusive motorsports facility that dealt directly with Porsche Motorsports (also our engine source) we replaced a lot of 996 motors, built our own, and also transplanted them (996 motors) in to Boxsters - not to mention stuffing a factory X-51 997 3.8L in to a Cayman S chassis. It was a reman BTW.
Hahah. Don't be so naive as to believe marketing materials. Porsche has a clear incentive to tell you that a remanufactured part is equivalent/better than a new part. Rest assured, it is NOT, otherwise, why not swap remanufactured parts into the assembly line for new cars? They would never, never do that.

While the statement, "a remanufactured part has to meet or exceed the standard for new parts" can be technically true it does not mean that the whole sub-assembly meets the same standard as a new subassy. If a subassy is made of part X,Y,Z and only part X is remanufactured, part x could meet the original standard but parts Y, and Z are not even tested beyond assumed guidelines. When new, all parts go through multiple quality processes at each machining/assembly step, which will not be repeated in the reman process. Further "exceed" the spec is a misnomer because every mfg process has inherent natural statistical variation. New parts exceed the spec too! They did not say they made the spec more stringent for reman parts, now did they?

Next, we will talk about the concept of "betterment." I'll give you 2 extreme examples to illustrate:

If your original 1999 engine had 55K miles and was replaced by a remanufactured engine 3 years later, yes you are better off! If they offered a new engine - bonus!

If you have a 2003 3.6L that failed after 5K miles in the first 3 mts of ownership and Porsche offers you a reman engine, you are NOT better off and you should insist on getting a new motor.

P.S. Your experience is anecdotal..it does not make you more credible than my "idiotic opinions."
Old 04-30-2008, 05:35 AM
jury_ca
Pro

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
Facts are facts. You drive a super low mileage C4S on its original engine. You're going to stick up for your own and that's cute/predictable. Your engine doesn't have the updates/improvements that most if not all the owners have received with their remanufactured engines here in this thread. You have never attempted to ask Porsche for a new engine (name one instance where someone received a new - not remanufactured - engine under factory warranty).
My C4S is a late build 2003. You received your remanufactured engine in 2003. Do you really think that your remanufactured motor is superior to my new motor assuming they are built during the same time-period?

The question of whether anyone gets new engines is a good one. Consider the Math. There is an inherent fall out ratio for cores that cannot be used. Assuming they are not refurbing cores for cars that have been written-off in accidents, they HAVE to build some new engines to compensate. If the fallout ratio is 10%, then 10% of customers get new engines. Now if you were Porsche, who would you give those new engines to? You give it to your best / newest customers. The guy that had an engine fail at 3K miles. Of course they are not going to publicize this or everyone will want new engines too.

You, jury, have little motivation or reason to explore the remanufactured engine program at Porsche as you have no stake in the game as it's wholly clear you are supremely confident in your original engine and have never had a need to explore this path. Lucky you. As for those of us who have had issues, lucky us to get a remanufactured engine and based on my research, this is a good/better thing.
Whatever helps you get through your day, Benjy.

Fuqin nerd. WHAHAHAHA
Name-calling again? Didn't we cover this before? A superior opponent 1= nerd.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:12 AM
rleeq
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1999 996 C2 with 3.4 engine non e-gas
69,000 miles when struck with the intermix mystery January 07
I put about 20,000 since
I have the standard Porsche warranty: 2 years unlimited miles which expires in January
No issues
I would love to know what improvement/changes my remanufactured engine has from the original
Old 04-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

rleeq, read Streather's book. It'll tell you what the updates have been to the M96. IIRC, the latest update was done in 2005 which would include the same IM shaft and other parts that they're shoving into the 997 3.6s.

Check it out. His book's a good resource and pretty much the only guy I know on Rennlist who has taken the time (a lot of it) to filter out the BS (jury's posts, et al) from the real RS (real ****) which leaves you with just RS.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:51 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by jury_ca
My C4S is a late build 2003. You received your remanufactured engine in 2003. Do you really think that your remanufactured motor is superior to my new motor assuming they are built during the same time-period?

The question of whether anyone gets new engines is a good one. Consider the Math. There is an inherent fall out ratio for cores that cannot be used. Assuming they are not refurbing cores for cars that have been written-off in accidents, they HAVE to build some new engines to compensate. If the fallout ratio is 10%, then 10% of customers get new engines. Now if you were Porsche, who would you give those new engines to? You give it to your best / newest customers. The guy that had an engine fail at 3K miles. Of course they are not going to publicize this or everyone will want new engines too.

Whatever helps you get through your day, Benjy.

Name-calling again? Didn't we cover this before? A superior opponent 1= nerd.

Real convenient for you to switch up your story now. You go from your nerd equation:

"Original/NEW Engines > Reman Engines"

To now comparing an original engine (your engine) to a reman engine (my engine) built around the same period.

I'll keep it real instead of keeping it BS (your style) by taking out the conjecture/hot air that you're full of and say we will never know which one is better: your engine or mine. How the hell are you going to even begin to prove that or anyone else? What we all have is anecdotal evidence, bits and pieces of it, with some people understanding the context or the story behind it more so than others. I attempted to reach out to some of these people to learn myself and try and begin to piece together what's going on.

Surely not scientific, but with an intent to get at something to understand the reman program and what Porsche is doing. You? You got NOTHING and it's obvious with your nerd equation above, but due to MY/our ability to be patient and deal with you in a thread where I've repeatedly asked you to stay on topic or start another thread to which you the ignoramous refuse to honor, you've now come to accept the fact that your equation is an astonishingly bad one.

-There is no NEW engine v. REMAN engine. Do you get it? Porsche does not give any of us this option. In fact, you can't buy a new 3.4 with all the nice updates off the shelf today. We must buy reman.

-Even with that, the question is, would I want a reman v. new/original? Let's say your engine blows tomorrow, you know what you're going to do? You're going to read up on Rennlist and at the end of the day, you are going to feel just fine and dandy sitting up there in North Vancouver or wherever you may be that you're getting a reman engine. We all know this, but we also know you'd never admit it because your pride/equation is on the line.

-This thread is to hear some stories about reman engines blowing up like the original/new engines that were fitted into our lovely cars. That's it. Must I state this again to you? So far, so good, but so far for you, so very bad. Again, good luck with your original engine. Seriously.

This is too funny, man. Keep digging. And again, I request that you start your own thread on this subject matter as it surely is generating a lot of interest. Otherwise, to the rest of you, please continue to respond.

TIA,
Ben
Old 04-30-2008, 11:57 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

There is no NEW engine v. REMAN engine. Do you get it? Porsche does not give any of us this option. In fact, you can't buy a new 3.4 with all the nice updates off the shelf today. We must buy reman.
Right. Which makes the whole debate a ridiculous waste of bandwidth. We may as well be arguing about whether we'd prefer a remanufactured motor or a flux capacitor.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:09 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

LOOOLOLOLOLOLOLOL fuqin Bruce hits it outta the park again w/ but a few words
Old 04-30-2008, 12:42 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=jury_ca;5364822]My C4S is a late build 2003. You received your remanufactured engine in 2003. Do you really think that your remanufactured motor is superior to my new motor assuming they are built during the same time-period?

The question of whether anyone gets new engines is a good one. Consider the Math. There is an inherent fall out ratio for cores that cannot be used. Assuming they are not refurbing cores for cars that have been written-off in accidents, they HAVE to build some new engines to compensate. If the fallout ratio is 10%, then 10% of customers get new engines. Now if you were Porsche, who would you give those new engines to? You give it to your best / newest customers. The guy that had an engine fail at 3K miles. Of course they are not going to publicize this or everyone will want new engines too.quote]
Again, your high school level quasi scientific analysis based solely on an opinion and not 1st hand experience or fact is nothing short of comical. Reman engines do not have any used parts. Your position is absolutley false and baseless as well. As for my 1st hand experience with this process, to dismiss it clearly shows your delusions are just that, delusional. There are no "new" motors as you a are describing. You are also pulling stats of out thin air (10%...?). Where do get this #?

You're one guy, a customer at that. No experience and or relationship with Porsche. You own one, but you don't build engines or have a clue about how Porsche's engine program works nor have you ever seen the reman programs guidelines or processes 1st hand. Yet, you attempt to make a completely baseless agrument because you've "figured out" that everyone else is an idiot and Porsche is not pulling a fast one on you. Wow. I'm going to post the next invite to a Porsche tech event in Vancouver so you can come down and explain your theory live to a few Porsche mechanics, a rep from PCNA, and those with Motorsports relationships (tell them their race to race engine rebuilds are never going to be as good as the 1st one) and see what happens. Bring your crayons so you can graph it out with all your scientiic formluas each based on your educated guesses.

Do you have any Motorsports experience or have you figured that program out to be short changing their world wide customers (us included) also?

And for the record, Porsche doesn't distinguish between customer "A" as being "best" and/or customer "b" as being 2nd class. They don't have or care to have that level of visibility. Everyone gets an engine that's a reman. When your engine "core" goes back, it's put through the same process. New engine and Reman engines are the same. Legally - when they replace an engine under warranty, they can't put a used engine in that same car. Their "reman" engines are considered new. How many time do you have to be told that?

Last edited by Analog Theory; 04-30-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:51 PM
ls911
Pro

Well flat-6, meet Mr. "A". Pleased to meet you.

For the rest of you "B" beeeotches deal with your weak *** 2nd class reman engines, sucks to be you, yup I know.

As some here know, I pack an all original superior 3.4l engine.
Wendelin, Mr. Wiedeking to the rest of you chumps, has assured me that it if I'd ever need replacement it would be with the better than brand new 3.4l-A engine.

So listen up, a little advice for you all.

If I were in the "B" class I'd keep my mouth shut, stop pretending it's all good and make the best out of the reman **** card you've been dealt.

That's just life, you can't win so move on
Old 04-30-2008, 03:57 PM
mickey6
Instructor

Can someone post a picture of exactly where this is? I would like to check too. This is great information to have (and to know)

Originally Posted by wrljet
The motor number is on the side of the bottom of the motor, near
the oil pan mating surface, towards the front of the motor, visible
with a flashing looking in from the driver side behind the wheel.

If you have a 2002 car, the original motor number would start with 662.
(according to the factory doc the numbers start with 66200501 and run
up from there, but mine is 6620382)

A remanufactured motor probably has an X or AT in the number.

Bill
Old 04-30-2008, 04:04 PM
wrljet
Racer

Originally Posted by mickey6
Can someone post a picture of exactly where this is? I would like to check too. This is great information to have (and to know)
Try this link:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...e=post&id=9437

Note, the number on mine doesn't match the information in the Porsche parts
counter catalog, but it's close. And numbers I've seen other people post don't come close.

Bill
Old 05-01-2008, 02:05 AM
jury_ca
Pro

Check it out. His book's a good resource and pretty much the only guy I know on Rennlist who has taken the time (a lot of it) to filter out the BS (jury's posts, et al) from the real RS (real ****) which leaves you with just RS.
Please point out any inconsistencies between my posts and Adrian's book before you call my posts out as "b.s."
Old 05-01-2008, 02:05 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

-Engine size - 2.5 (Boxster)
-What mileage/date was it replaced? (9k miles/1998)
-How many miles on the remanufactured engine? (30k Then sold)
-Covered by factory warranty or sourced on your dime? (Warranty)
-Any problems? (None)

-Engine size - 2.5 (Boxster)
-What mileage/date was it replaced? (2.5k miles/1999)
-How many miles on the remanufactured engine? (80k)
-Covered by factory warranty or sourced on your dime? (Warranty)
-Any problems? (None)

-Engine size - 3.6 (996)
-What mileage/date was it replaced? (not-yet)
-How many miles on the remanufactured engine? ()
-Covered by factory warranty or sourced on your dime? ()
-Any problems? (None)

You want me to include my buddy's 98 and my other buddy's 01 engine failures?

Quick Reply: Do you have a remanufactured engine?