Sponsored by:

99-00 996 VS 2004 S2000

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 05:23 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BruceP
Yup. Which is why bench racing is so silly.
I like Magazine Racing better.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:27 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ArneeA
I like Magazine Racing better.
Far too dangerous. What with the paper cuts and all.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:42 PM
lfe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM
Actually, in post #70 you misspelled making, and in this post you misspelled accurately.....
Yesterday I couldnt even spell engineir today I are one
Old 04-23-2008, 06:22 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 04-23-2008, 06:27 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Ben, it's a good idea, and good "webiquette" when on a forum to act as if you were in a formal group discussion in person and try not to offend, and be courteous. That's NOT to say your opinions shouldn't be strong and independant, just not so offensive personally or towards anyones pride and joy.

I can tell you, SO many comments you make here would get you into fist fights if they were in person. You and I have context, only because of so many derogatory remarks you make, but they are offensive to me, and I've actually even been offended for others and embarrased that they are made by a Rennlist member (you). The context is, we get into "it" and I end up taking the good, and leaving the BS comments as just that.

It's one thing to joke and mess around with a Renn friend and break some *****, but to outright belittle my opinions by saying things such as "This is the last guy I'd go to for car wisdom especially along this front." and "He's kinda weird like that - you just gotta accept him for who he is on here. He seems to think because he drives a $60K 2001 Turbo (supercar he says) somehow he's in a diff club. Pls. WHAHAHA" when I did nothing to provoke you, or anyone else. It is completely inappropriate, offensive and disrespectful to say the least. It IS bully tactics. And NO ONE likes to be have their remarks and reputation dismissed that way.

Over and over, when you don't agree with someone, or they don't have what you perceive to be nice, or hot, you belittle them by dissing their car, or even their wife. This often is done very subtly on your part. All I've ever said regarding my car is that I went to my Turbo from a C4S and it was a good move for me and I recommend it, and you immediately jump in and say all the things that you think suck about my car i.e ugly duck-tail, bad turbo lag, lack of options on my car and a lot of other stuff. If even 1/10'th of the people here treated me that way, i'd certainly leave and not come back.

Fact is, most people here are nice to you and compliment the great job you've done on your car, but you 're esteem seems to be so low, that you constantly make childish, belittling and insulting remarks towards people you don't even know. It's not cool man.

I think people have just gotten used to you and have come to expect it. However, all that said, you do have a TON of wealthy knowledge and good taste. I can speak for myself when I say, your opinions are valued and respected. Just tone down the negatives bro, act as if you are in a group setting with a few friends, but mostly strangers. Try and act like an adult and be more respectful. I can certainly take my own advice in certain situations, too.

Oh, and last thing, no way you should leave this forum, I don't think anyone is proposing that. You are right, you have a right to be here and no ones opinions should be stifled, no matter what. This is a free and open forum, as long as you're not threatining or hurting anyone, I agree with you, it's ALL fair game and so are retorts. Moderators have no business getting involved, IMO.

Last edited by arr0gant; 04-23-2008 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:41 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've said what I've said in response to the tired and oft repeated "I'm a victim" story and I'm not going to go through it yet again.

Bullying? Physical threats? C'mon, man. You gonna try to slap me now?

In the name of trying to make progress, I will retire from this thread. My conscience is clear... I've provided valuable/relevant/honest feedback to the author of this thread.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:35 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

BChoi, you're the Simon Cowell of Rennlist. I do hope you at least wear collar shirts once in a while, though.

Back to the topic, for $20k, I'd definitely suggest the newer S2000 over the '99 996. Although the S2000 is relatively lethargic down-low, it's not where the fun is or what it's about. As others have said, it's a high-strung, screaming go-kart that's purposeful, fits like a glove, and low maintenance to boot. Not to mention it's also blessed with the typical Japanese-made workmanship, with an exterior styling that's quite easy on the eyes. My sister used to have a red '01, and I'd drive it every chance I got. It was quite a change from the Boxster I had at the time. The Boxster felt more balanced and reassuring, but the S2000 seemed tighter and sharper when pushed hard. Or maybe I just didn't know how to properly drive a mid-engined car...

The 911 is a completely different comparison for all the reasons others have already stated. If you haven't been dreaming about owning a 911 since childhood, then the '04 S2000 is definitely the value winner. I, however, am a hopeless 911 romantic, so I'd likely opt for the older 996 and all its potential troubles.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:35 PM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Not to get off topic...

but I have a 2005 S2000, and have spent much seat time in the 996 (hopefully a lot more, permanent time, soon) and can tell you that the S2000 is a hell of a car. So is the 996, but they are very very different. Costs (minus tires, esp auto-x ones) are the only real expense with the S2000 unless you try to mod it... then you will pay beaucoup $$ for very little weight loss / power gain. I looked at a 996 when I bought the Honda, and for me, once I drove the Honda I knew it was what I wanted - a car that was unrefined and raw (and had a trunk).

One piece of advice though - if you buy the S, and people ask you what you drive... just say "s2000" because as soon as you say "Honda....no, the sports car" they think you mean lowered Civic.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:39 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

s2000 is one of the best bangs for the buck out there!! sings right out of the box... no mods needed...
Old 04-23-2008, 10:50 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Ucube
I, however, am a hopeless 911 romantic...
My hat is off to you, sir.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:27 AM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by arr0gant
Ben, it's a good idea, and good "webiquette" when on a forum to act as if you were in a formal group discussion in person and try not to offend, and be courteous. That's NOT to say your opinions shouldn't be strong and independant, just not so offensive personally or towards anyones pride and joy.

I can tell you, SO many comments you make here would get you into fist fights if they were in person. You and I have context, only because of so many derogatory remarks you make, but they are offensive to me, and I've actually even been offended for others and embarrased that they are made by a Rennlist member (you). The context is, we get into "it" and I end up taking the good, and leaving the BS comments as just that.

It's one thing to joke and mess around with a Renn friend and break some *****, but to outright belittle my opinions by saying things such as "This is the last guy I'd go to for car wisdom especially along this front." and "He's kinda weird like that - you just gotta accept him for who he is on here. He seems to think because he drives a $60K 2001 Turbo (supercar he says) somehow he's in a diff club. Pls. WHAHAHA" when I did nothing to provoke you, or anyone else. It is completely inappropriate, offensive and disrespectful to say the least. It IS bully tactics. And NO ONE likes to be have their remarks and reputation dismissed that way.

Over and over, when you don't agree with someone, or they don't have what you perceive to be nice, or hot, you belittle them by dissing their car, or even their wife. This often is done very subtly on your part. All I've ever said regarding my car is that I went to my Turbo from a C4S and it was a good move for me and I recommend it, and you immediately jump in and say all the things that you think suck about my car i.e ugly duck-tail, bad turbo lag, lack of options on my car and a lot of other stuff. If even 1/10'th of the people here treated me that way, i'd certainly leave and not come back.

Fact is, most people here are nice to you and compliment the great job you've done on your car, but you 're esteem seems to be so low, that you constantly make childish, belittling and insulting remarks towards people you don't even know. It's not cool man.

I think people have just gotten used to you and have come to expect it. However, all that said, you do have a TON of wealthy knowledge and good taste. I can speak for myself when I say, your opinions are valued and respected. Just tone down the negatives bro, act as if you are in a group setting with a few friends, but mostly strangers. Try and act like an adult and be more respectful. I can certainly take my own advice in certain situations, too.

Oh, and last thing, no way you should leave this forum, I don't think anyone is proposing that. You are right, you have a right to be here and no ones opinions should be stifled, no matter what. This is a free and open forum, as long as you're not threatining or hurting anyone, I agree with you, it's ALL fair game and so are retorts. Moderators have no business getting involved, IMO.
Not knowing the history between the two posters, I do agree with your thoughts on "webiquette".....
Old 04-24-2008, 10:19 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by arr0gant

+1...all of it.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:36 AM
caribbeantech
Intermediate

I had an S2000 for six months. Brand new 2006!! Loved it! Lot's of Fun....
Got jacked three times...and they took the wheels, seats, shifter, steering wheel, etc...after ripping the roof with a knife...($14 - $15 k, every time)
I don't care for that sort of fun...
Sold it with 1500 miles....

I don't believe that you'd ever have that with a Porsche.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:44 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by caribbeantech
I had an S2000 for six months. Brand new 2006!! Loved it! Lot's of Fun....
Got jacked three times...and they took the wheels, seats, shifter, steering wheel, etc...after ripping the roof with a knife...($14 - $15 k, every time)
I don't care for that sort of fun...
Sold it with 1500 miles....

I don't believe that you'd ever have that with a Porsche.
That stinks. Its like the B4? Audi S4s (the first gen) They get stolen so quickly here that the cars are loaded into containers in NJ and out of the country before they are reported stolen....

Quick Reply: 99-00 996 VS 2004 S2000