Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Who has upgraded from ROW M030 to PSS9/10?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 03:35 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Who has upgraded from ROW M030 to PSS9/10?

I've been running the M030 suspension for a while, and have been toying with the idea of upgrading to PSS9/10. I've done a load of research, but there is very limited follow up to those that upgrade - and what they like / dislike about the change. My real inquiry relates to the return on cost between the two in terms of performance. If the change is 10% "better" [to the owner] on the road/track, then I wouldn't be as interested as if there is a 50% improvement in various categories. I understand that it would be hard to quantify unless you have track data, but "seat of the pants" impressions still have value to me.

In short, if you have upgraded to PSS9/10 could you please post some thoughts about the change. If you go to the track, it would be great if you had some overall impressions on the change and maybe event some data.

Thanks!

-td
Old 04-19-2008, 06:57 PM
gofor28off
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious what your motivation for the switch is. Are you not happy with RoW M030? This is the Euro sport suspension; no? What improvemment are you looking to get from the coilovers?
The reason why I ask is I am thinking of going to Euro M030 from my stock suspension. I'm looking for a modest drop, better handling and I have been told that my cab will noticably benefit from the 030 sway bars. I don't track the cab, just looking to improve the handling and look and 030 seems like a good choice.
Please expand on your reasons for wanting to move off 030.
Thanks.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:20 AM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gofor28off
Curious what your motivation for the switch is. Are you not happy with RoW M030? This is the Euro sport suspension; no? What improvemment are you looking to get from the coilovers?
The reason why I ask is I am thinking of going to Euro M030 from my stock suspension. I'm looking for a modest drop, better handling and I have been told that my cab will noticably benefit from the 030 sway bars. I don't track the cab, just looking to improve the handling and look and 030 seems like a good choice.
Please expand on your reasons for wanting to move off 030.
Thanks.
I can't answer the pss9 change over, but stock compared to M030 is a significant change and well worth the conversion. I feel the stock suspension is like a Mercedes and the M030 is what a Porsche should be.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:58 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

As a fellow cab owner who recently upgraded to the RoW M030 suspension, I can wholeheartedly encourgage you to take the plunge. The car is substantially more planted now, floatiness at high speeds is eliminated, fast sweeping corners don't feel rubbery anymore, and hard tight corners are more easily taken with aplomb. Frankly, though it rides a little 'harder/firmer' than stock, the new suspension actually seems to handle bumps and indentions much more smoothly and comfortably. Also, give it about a month to settle in and you'll really be pleased with the feel AND the look.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:15 AM
gofor28off
Racer

Thank you Edward. The results you have described sounds EXACTLY what I am looking for. My main complaint with the stock is the "floatiness".
For me a coilover set seems like overkill and the M030 appears to be very good value.
How long have you had your's on and where did you order it from?
Regards,

Last edited by gofor28off; 04-20-2008 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:52 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Thank you Edward. The results you have described sounds EXACTLY what I am looking for. My main complaint with the stock is the "floatiness" you described.
For me a coilover set seems like overkill and the M030 appears to be very good value.
Regards,
It's not that I'm not happy with the M030. It's a great improvment over stock. The big issue is that you only one form - "sport mode." That is, it's always on, always stiffer than stock and not adjustable. It's definitely better than stock, but so is PSS9/10. My question is whether PSS9/10 is really worth $1500+ (just in parts) more than M030. And, after having the M030 for more than a year, and looking back, I feel like I should have saved my pennies and got the PSS9. I would have a better suspension overall, and the ability to change ride height. The great part about not upgrading to PSS9 last year, is that he PSS10 is now circulating

I was hoping that those that went step wise (stock - M030 - PSS9) would have a little input as to their thoughts for upgrading and their impressions afterwards. I know that lots of folks have done one or the other, but there has to be someone that did both...

In any event, I am seriously contemplating moving from the ROW M030 to the PSS10 with GT3 sway bars. If so, my MO30 will be up for sale in the near future.

[and FYI - the drop is not that significant, even after the suspension settles in]

-td
Old 04-20-2008, 10:20 PM
Stefan Richter
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I am interested in your ROW M030 when you are ready.

Stefan
Old 04-21-2008, 12:58 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

just do it. you won't regret it.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:43 AM
911Spdstr
Advanced

Interested in your ROW M30 setup if you choose to upgrade... I'm looking for a mild drop with better handling...

Let me know,
Jonathan
Old 04-21-2008, 09:06 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

About 2 months. Ordered it from Sunset and had it installed at my dealer.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:10 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by himself
The big issue is that you only one form - "sport mode." That is, it's always on, always stiffer than stock and not adjustable.

[and FYI - the drop is not that significant, even after the suspension settles in]
First, I agree that it's not adjustable and always in sport mode, but in my buddy's adjustable 997 C2S, he's always riding in sport mode also, finding the comfort mode just way to floaty. Also, unless it's adjustable by a button inside the car, it's more of a hassle.

Second, 20mm is more than enough drop for me. Frankly, I feel that my car looks perfectly balance now around the wheel well. Car just got washed so I'll try to post some photos this week.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:48 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
It's not that I'm not happy with the M030. It's a great improvment over stock. The big issue is that you only one form - "sport mode." That is, it's always on, always stiffer than stock and not adjustable. It's definitely better than stock, but so is PSS9/10. My question is whether PSS9/10 is really worth $1500+ (just in parts) more than M030. And, after having the M030 for more than a year, and looking back, I feel like I should have saved my pennies and got the PSS9. I would have a better suspension overall, and the ability to change ride height. The great part about not upgrading to PSS9 last year, is that he PSS10 is now circulating
I went from M030 to X73, so I can't offer a personal response. But, my impression talking to other guys and reading in this forum is that the PSS9 is better than the M030 only in that the PSS9 is adjustable. However, most of my friends who went the PSS9 route find a setting they like and leave it there.

In your post above, you seem to be asking whether it is worth the bucks to be able to switch between stiffest/lowest to street comfortable rather than just the always sport mode of the M030. Sorta like the PASM in the 997 series. Maybe the better question to ask is if any of the PSS9/10 boys regularly switch/adjust their setting, how easy is it, and how often do they do it. You may get more answers that will help you decide if it's worth the switch.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:45 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Once I got it height adjusted (key) and corner balanced (not so necessary), I've never messed with the settings. It's set in the middle stiffness setting.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:52 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

How often are you planning to track? I think that should factor into your upgrade question.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:52 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
In your post above, you seem to be asking whether it is worth the bucks to be able to switch between stiffest/lowest to street comfortable rather than just the always sport mode of the M030. Sorta like the PASM in the 997 series. Maybe the better question to ask is if any of the PSS9/10 boys regularly switch/adjust their setting, how easy is it, and how often do they do it. You may get more answers that will help you decide if it's worth the switch.
I regulary switch settings on my pss9 (I have a lift so its easy for me)... I rotate my wheels 2-3 times a year. I currently ride on 19's and find with the lower profile I find it a harsh ride and rely on the pss9 adjustment to compensate for it. I also do 3-4 DE events and adjust to the stiffest on a set of track wheels that I use. I also have a set of 18" sport designs that I love its performance on the street, so I set the Pss9 stiffer than the 19" street. As for track duty, I set it at stiffest and I am happy with them... I had US m030 and it is night and day with pss9's. I also use H&R sways and I love the flexibility and handling of my setup.

Quick Reply: Who has upgraded from ROW M030 to PSS9/10?