Sponsored by:

Got my baby back.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 04:18 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Got my baby back.

Sorry I don't have a pic, but I'm just slammed at the moment. Will add one as soon as I can.

Just got the car back: Had the wheels refinished, replaced damaged brake cooling ducts from the winter, seasonal service, replaced a worn check strap on the driver door (closes like new now!), new spark plug tubes (source of the leak I noticed last week) and had the REVO flash done. But for the money, the best mod was the addition of the GT3 Cup front splitter. $118, looks very subtle and stock (which is my thing... sorry, Ben!), and hopefully will settle the car a bit at speed. Anybody with a non-aero Mk1 car should order one immediately. A total no-brainer. Stay tuned for a pic... but I just had to share. Happy guy, here.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:38 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

.......and a new PCA sticker.....on the right way
Old 04-17-2008, 05:06 PM
ls911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was the REVO flash worth the $$ to you Bruce?

Stop sticking things were they don't belong
Old 04-17-2008, 10:44 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Bruce... impressions on the Revo when you have time
Old 04-17-2008, 10:48 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by ls911
Was the REVO flash worth the $$ to you Bruce?
Different? Yes. Better? Yes. Worth the money? Oh, probably not. But that would describe many of the things I've done to my car.

I'd say, if $1,000 or so is a lot of money to you, don't bother with the ECU flash. It's not going to change your life. But if it's not, I think it's worth doing. I got two things out of it: Sharper throttle response, especially off idle and when I blip the throttle for downshifts. And it pulls noticeably harder above 4,000 rpm or so.

Between that and the sound of my intake and exhaust, it feels like the fastest car in the whole wide world now.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:11 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to challenge Almighty Bruce here for a second. We meet again along this front.

Sharper throttle response. Since when has the stock throttle response made you feel it wasn't sharp enough? This is the most inane improvement I hear people type up after a mod. Makes me laugh.

I have the GIAC flash coupled with the EVOMS intake. I ran with the stock mapping for a day or two. I noticed zero difference and GIAC is a respected flash gordon company.

I really liked a post made by Loren of Renntech re: vendors testing their **** and backing up their HP!/TQ! claims. What's the testing procedure Revos has done to prove their gains? First of all, what is their claim?

Bruce, of all people, I know you won't take my challenge above personally. It's like I need to type like Strawberry Shortcake to not ruffle feathers because so many dudes make their cars THEM.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:47 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Unlike a lot of people who hang out on automotive message boards, I... a) Know exactly what throttle response is, and b) Don't have any ego invested in my mods. I would also point out that I said nothing about horsepower or torque gains. Not a word.

Throttle response is a pretty easy thing to reprogram in a drive-by-wire car. In the old days, they'd make a throttle more responsive by putting a little cam in line with the throttle cable. The result is the same either way: The engine responds to proportionally less movement of your right foot. Throttle response is not power. Throttle response is not torque. Throttle response is not acceleration. It's just how much foot movement equals how much throttle opening. It's fun, and for some people, helps with things like smooth heel-and-toe shifting, which I happen to enjoy despite there being no real need for it on my daily commute.

It's not inane at all. Car companies make a conscious decision to program throttle response so that the car feels fast enough, but isn't too twitchy for the mall crawlers. On my Rover, there's even a different map for cruise control because the stock throttle response is deliberately lazy... a twitchy throttle is not what you want off-road. Ever asked someone what BMW's Sport Mode really is? It ain't more power, my friend. It's radically increased throttle response. Throttle response is, in some respects, a 'marketing' decision, made to please most of the people most of the time.

I also never said that I thought it wasn't sharp enough on my Porsche. But, by the same token, I actually prefer it a little jumpier than stock. For me, it's more fun. Like playing my Hardtail Strat versus my archback Guild dreadnaught.

For me - to my taste - throttle response is 'improved' with the REVO flash.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:00 AM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Throttle response is an easy thing to program these days (see sl65 vs s600 et al). This basically nominalizes the differences between just on throttle, part throttle, and WOT. If I personally were in the market for better throttle response through and through, I'd likely move to lighter flywheel, but then it would likely be a matter of time until I flashed for the same effect! That flywheel's calling you Bruce, it's only a matter of time! (just kidding)

118 bucks for an oem lip sounds like deal! any analogous upgrades like that or the facelift MKII cars?
Old 04-18-2008, 03:01 AM
ls911
Pro

Originally Posted by BruceP
Different? Yes. Better? Yes. Worth the money? Oh, probably not. But that would describe many of the things I've done to my car.

I'd say, if $1,000 or so is a lot of money to you, don't bother with the ECU flash. It's not going to change your life. But if it's not, I think it's worth doing. I got two things out of it: Sharper throttle response, especially off idle and when I blip the throttle for downshifts. And it pulls noticeably harder above 4,000 rpm or so.

Between that and the sound of my intake and exhaust, it feels like the fastest car in the whole wide world now.
Thanks for the break down. Feeling goes a long ways
It is always exciting when a new mod is done, know that feeling well

Now all you gots to do is take that sticker off and you'll be good to go
Old 04-18-2008, 08:38 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by htny
If I personally were in the market for better throttle response through and through, I'd likely move to lighter flywheel, but then it would likely be a matter of time until I flashed for the same effect! That flywheel's calling you Bruce, it's only a matter of time! (just kidding)
I like my civilized, quiet dual mass flywheel. For now. I think.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:04 AM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Bruce
I'm looking forward to seeing the picture of the GT-3 Cup front splitter. I have a 2001 non-aero 996 cab and have thought about a tasteful modification to the front end for years. My only concern is front end clearance as my garage fronts on a Cabbagetown (Toronto) laneway with a reasonable steep angle of approach. Would you mind posting the comparative clearances between stock and splitter please?
Thanks very much
Ian
Old 04-18-2008, 09:09 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by htny
118 bucks for an oem lip sounds like deal! any analogous upgrades like that or the facelift MKII cars?
There's one for the Mk2 cars, too, though it looks a bit different... it's more of a splitter.

I hope it's not against the rules to post a link to another forum, but here's a thread that shows both types. The kind I got is shown on page 4 of the thread:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...ght=lip&page=1
Old 04-18-2008, 09:13 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by rideau
Bruce
I'm looking forward to seeing the picture of the GT-3 Cup front splitter. I have a 2001 non-aero 996 cab and have thought about a tasteful modification to the front end for years. My only concern is front end clearance as my garage fronts on a Cabbagetown (Toronto) laneway with a reasonable steep angle of approach. Would you mind posting the comparative clearances between stock and splitter please?
Thanks very much
Ian
Check the thread cited above, especially the Mk1 photos, and I think you'll be comforted. Besides, at that price, you could replace them every year! I'm not going to have a chance to take a picture of mine until next week, but I wouldn't hesitate if I were you. It's a very subtle mod, and doesn't really decrease your usable ground clearance that much.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:17 AM
Glenn
Racer

Hey Bruce - who did you have do the work? I just got a set of BBS Classic Sport II's that I need to have refinished. I've dealt with Steve at Collision Networks on the 73 Fuchs - but I'm not going to be as picky with these as they'll be DD summer boots for the girl.

Also interested to see the splitter when you have a sec to post up some shots on your car.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:18 AM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Bruce
Thanks and I will do this. Could you confirm the following please:

1 @ 996.505.986.90 - GT3 Cup Front Splitter for 99-01 996
12 @ Stainless Steel Self Tapping Screws
1-2 @ Your favorite adult beverage

Where did you purchase it?
Thanks
Ian