Sponsored by:

Got my baby back.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 04:06 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
I like my civilized, quiet dual mass flywheel. For now. I think.
haha only a matter of time!

There's one for the Mk2 cars, too, though it looks a bit different... it's more of a splitter.

I hope it's not against the rules to post a link to another forum, but here's a thread that shows both types. The kind I got is shown on page 4 of the thread:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...ght=lip&page=1
Thanks for the link. Now that I shipped the car back to NYC, I was thinking of buying a rubber strip or metal plate or something else to place underneath the front bumper, but was leaning toward something rubber to more gracefully absorb the damage and get replaced every year or two. I've had it up to about 150 and haven't noticed much walk or lift, but that's just never possible back east so I'm not as worried about perfect aerodynamic match.

It seems that both the GT3 Street and the GT3 Cup parts for MKII's are rubber, which I think will look fine on black (at least fewer worries about scratches). I'm not huge on using all those metal washers and screws the 6speeder did (don't want the lip to tear off the bumper if something major happens) but I really like it. I just ordered some bits from Sunset which won't ship until Thursday of next week, so maybe I can stuff this into my order.

I just want to see a true side profile shot of a car with this mod, at 1.5" high I wouldn't want it to look like the front was dramatically lower than the sides.

Did you wind up using the plastic rivet things to attach?

Last edited by htny; 04-19-2008 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:38 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I'll get you a side shot, no problem, but you won't be worried. It's not deep at all, really very subtle.

To be honest, I don't actually know what they used to attach it. I'll have a peek when I'm back in the city.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:33 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nycebo
The trade-off is that I'm essentially obligated to use 93 octane all the time now. Porsche definitely detunes, electronically, the engine to accomodate crap regular fuel around the country. Again, it harks back to the conversation in the N-rated tires thread whereby we all agreed that Porsche makes some compromises in order to provide enhanced driveability to the widest portion of consumers. Those changes would include quiet, fuel efficiency, emissions, etc. I have no use for any of those.
I agree RE: the detuning. I definitely felt the car's performance decline marginally yet quickly after my first few tanks of California blend, however after about 1000 miles I guess either I couldn't feel it anymore or it started to even out, who knows. I can't wait to get a full tank of 93 and some BG-44K in it now that it's back (especially since my last tank of adulterated 91 in LA cost 4.20-something a gallon). I just haven't been able to drive it much since it came back, still have half a tank of 91 in there. Next week for sure.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:38 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

I'll get you a side shot, no problem, but you won't be worried. It's not deep at all, really very subtle.

To be honest, I don't actually know what they used to attach it. I'll have a peek when I'm back in the city.
Much appreciated Bruce. Do you think that rubber will take paint? Either that, or I'm going to see about throwing some of the stone chip film over it. I HATE cleaning rubber!

Looks like the "Cup" lip for MkII is half the price of the Street and Aerokit parts. (Cup P/N comes up in system as GT3RS "splitter" according to a friend I just called on this), but Cup part on MkII doesn't blend into the bumpers like the GT3 street part on the 6speeder's car, it's way more pronounced. Ahhh decisions decisions.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:41 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Here are some crappy pictures of my dusty car grabbed on the commute home, for those who wanted to see what the splitter looks like. As you'll observe, it's very subtle. In terms of effectiveness, I feel a distinct difference over 140kph or so. YMMV.

CAUTION TO BENJAMIN CHOI: Narrow body, no visible aero, factory wheels, standard suspension, cell phone quality pictures. Looking at this car might be like, I don't know, kryptonite for you or something like that. Look away. We don't want you sterilized or turned into a pillar of salt or whatever.

Last edited by BruceP; 09-29-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:19 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are some crappy pictures of my dusty car grabbed on the commute home, for those who wanted to see what the splitter looks like. As you'll observe, it's very subtle. In terms of effectiveness, I feel a distinct difference over 140kph or so. YMMV.

CAUTION TO BENJAMIN CHOI: Narrow body, no visible aero, factory wheels, standard suspension, cell phone quality pictures. Looking at this car might be like, I don't know, kryptonite for you or something like that. Look away. We don't want you sterilized or turned into a pillar of salt or whatever.
LOL I would've been a bag of salt a LONG TIME AGO if I was that not into stock 911s. 95% of them of the road are bone stock.

They still catch my eye.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:29 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Bruce, looking good. I just ordered the MkII GT3RS Street splitter part number 996-505-986-92-01 about $220 (the cup part is surprisingly a little cheaper, but it isn't being stocked in the US or Germany according to Sunset, and it's a little more pronounced as well)

I should have it some time next week and will post pics (he one below is of the same part on another black MkII car)

Last edited by htny; 03-07-2009 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:33 PM
ls911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You did remove the pumpkins and gave it a nice tint, that alone is HUGE

I like the look, except the dust thing. I'm not right when it comes to that so this means little to most.

A few pics ago, if I remember correctly, your car needed a wash in a bad way

Just saying....
Old 04-22-2008, 12:23 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by ls911
You did remove the pumpkins and gave it a nice tint, that alone is HUGE

I like the look, except the dust thing. I'm not right when it comes to that so this means little to most.

A few pics ago, if I remember correctly, your car needed a wash in a bad way

Just saying....
Back in the day, my cars were always better than showroom clean. No driveway now, and no time. Honestly, it looks better than it does in the pictures. People turn their heads. But my concours days are in hiatus at the moment.

Another shot from further back, and an interior for no helpful reason.

Last edited by BruceP; 09-29-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:44 AM
ls911
Pro

Back in the day, my cars were always better than showroom clean. No driveway now, and no time. Honestly, it looks better than it does in the pictures. People turn their heads. But my concours days are in hiatus at the moment.
Ha

It should turn heads.
No driveway no time is tough to manage, esp dark colors

For the most part giving you a little crap, though looking way cleaner than those "other" winter pics
Old 04-23-2008, 07:25 PM
Rickker
Racer

Default Chin spoiler lip..

Somehow, I missed this thread until now.

Bruce, the pics look great. I am keen to do the same thing.

One question: Does this mod fit on a '99 C4? If not, why not? I thought the front end of the 3.4 liter 996s were all the same?

Thanks.

...Rickker
Old 04-23-2008, 08:32 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rickker
Somehow, I missed this thread until now.

Bruce, the pics look great. I am keen to do the same thing.

One question: Does this mod fit on a '99 C4? If not, why not? I thought the front end of the 3.4 liter 996s were all the same?

Thanks.

...Rickker
Thanks!

I'd rather not guess on whether your front end is the same as mine, but I'm sure there are some folks here who know for sure.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:06 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

just got my lip, now to find some mounting hardware
Old 05-01-2008, 11:53 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by htny
just got my lip, now to find some mounting hardware
I would use those expansion rivits that porsche uses under the front bumper. They will hold the splitter at high speed and will come of when you bottom out really hard. If you use screws (or self tappers) you can damage the bumper when bottoming out.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:42 AM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by redridge
I would use those expansion rivits that porsche uses under the front bumper. They will hold the splitter at high speed and will come of when you bottom out really hard. If you use screws (or self tappers) you can damage the bumper when bottoming out.
i'm on the fence with this, so many opinions either way. I personally would be more comfortable with the plastic porsche parts if I knew how to yank them more easily (it doesn't seem you can really back them out)

Quick Reply: Got my baby back.