996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

PSM - How important do you think it is?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 05:49 PM
estsn.com
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSM - How important do you think it is?

How important do you think it is to get the PSM option on C2 996s?
Old 04-14-2008, 06:15 PM
Irksome
Racer

Stunning piece of technology. I didn't have it on my 'must have' list when I bought my car, but the car I chose had it. Then I went to a driving school and deliberately pushed the car beyond its limits on the skid pad with and without and was amazed. I also have run an autocross in the rain, and tried it with and without PSM. It's like the hand of god waiting to catch you when things go to hell.

While I don't use it for autocrossing, I am very very happy to have it, and would consider it a 'must have' for any future purchase.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:19 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Irksome
Stunning piece of technology. I didn't have it on my 'must have' list when I bought my car, but the car I chose had it. Then I went to a driving school and deliberately pushed the car beyond its limits on the skid pad with and without and was amazed. I also have run an autocross in the rain, and tried it with and without PSM. It's like the hand of god waiting to catch you when things go to hell.

While I don't use it for autocrossing, I am very very happy to have it, and would consider it a 'must have' for any future purchase.
Indeed. I ran with it on at my last track day just to see how far I could go till it kicked on. The car was sideways before it "fixed" the situation. Quite impressive as most other stability / control aids kick on much, much earlier.

PS, I usually drive with it in the "off" position.

C.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:27 PM
Irksome
Racer

Originally Posted by Chads996
Indeed. I ran with it on at my last track day just to see how far I could go till it kicked on. The car was sideways before it "fixed" the situation. Quite impressive as most other stability / control aids kick on much, much earlier.

PS, I usually drive with it in the "off" position.

C.
I would never turn it off for street driving. Ever.

I turn it off for autocrosses.

If I ever get to a big track, I'll keep it on, as I'm more concerned about health and property preservation than 10ths of seconds...

Interesting side note, the Porsche Driving Experience cars all have it, and have disabled the ability to disable it. So I heard from someone who took the course, not from personal experience.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:33 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts

+1+1. I turned it off while in very slippery snowy conditions because I couldn't generate a power slide w/ it on. Yep, I was able to power slide OK w/ it off, all the way across my neighbor's yard. Thank GOD there wasn't a tree planted in the middle of it. Lesson learned for this P-car driver.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:44 PM
Patrick E
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Certainly better to have it than not to. You can always turn it off in circumstances where you don't think you'll need it. Agree with the comments above - system is far less intrusive than others I've experienced. I also leave it on when I'm on track, since as Irksome said, I like having that safety net in exchange for some tenths on track. BTW, I can't think of a reason to turn it off while driving around town.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:49 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't think much of it until I bought a c4 that came with it. Now, I would never consider getting another 911 without PSM.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:10 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

Irk,
Question for you. When autocrossing with it off, does the PSM still act as a LSD to direct power to the wheel with traction? Or do you just get a lot of spinning from the inside tire and little power to the outside.

I am assuming you don't have a mechanical LSD.

Thanks!
Andy
Old 04-14-2008, 07:35 PM
Irksome
Racer

If PSM is off, it does literally NOTHING unless you use the brakes. It watches all, but laughs at you until you ask for help (it considers using the brakes a cry for help).

I do not have LSD. I also do not have enough power to lose rear wheel traction unless I'm in off-camber situations or big sweepers. And I've never noticed unequal spinning, the few times I've actually got my wheels spinning.

I HAVE lost traction on a wheel in street driving, like when turning and encountering sand or water. In that case, with PSM on, it immediately responds, and it never lasts long enough for me to determine if I had a single wheel spinning like mad. It is super fast, and will make corrections at the throttle and all 4 brakes independently.

My favorite was in autocrossing in the rain, I started losing it (rotating 4-wheel drift that was going to be a spin), and the damned thing applied the inside rear brake and like a slingshot bullet I was through the corner.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:47 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

If PSM is off, it does literally NOTHING unless you use the brakes. It watches all, but laughs at you until you ask for help (it considers using the brakes a cry for help).
That's funny.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:50 PM
GNR996
Race Car

I think the manual says when PSM is off it will remain off unless turned back on or the antilock in the braking system is invoked.

If Jasper is around.. he has a story about a guy ( me ) whom he turned off the PSM in the wet and spun his car. Bent a rim and some other things.

These cars will snap around with PSM off very quickly on a rookie if your are not careful.

Geoff

And I am laughing about it all now...
Old 04-14-2008, 08:53 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

If I lived in So Cal I wouldn't get it.

But around these parts (it comes standard on the C4 and C4s anyway) it really makes a huge difference.

I did some tests with about 1" of snow in a large parking lot... on and I could barely get the rear end to give out, off and I could do 360's.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:58 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996
This isn't my experience...I've found that the PSM kicks in WAY faster than the VDC (same thing) on my Infiniti. I can get the back end of the FX out several feet before it kicks in. On the 996, I'll bet it doesn't go six inches before it reacts HEAVILY.

Originally Posted by riad
I did some tests with about 1" of snow in a large parking lot... on and I could barely get the rear end to give out, off and I could do 360's.
This is how mine seems to work as well.

Is the system any different between the four-wheel and two-wheel drive cars?
Old 04-14-2008, 09:20 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tooloud10
This isn't my experience...I've found that the PSM kicks in WAY faster than the VDC (same thing) on my Infiniti. I can get the back end of the FX out several feet before it kicks in. On the 996, I'll bet it doesn't go six inches before it reacts HEAVILY.

This is how mine seems to work as well.

Is the system any different between the four-wheel and two-wheel drive cars?
Odd, my G35 stability control would kick in waaaay earlier than Please Save Me.

Last edited by dresler; 04-14-2008 at 09:22 PM. Reason: cAPs lOCK
Old 04-14-2008, 09:45 PM
mickey6
Instructor

Is the PSM similar to the DSC on the BMWs?
I guess I still have to experience the "PSM" as I am still not pushing it in turns and still do not really have the feel of "what the limits are"

Quick Reply: PSM - How important do you think it is?