Sponsored by:

PSM - How important do you think it is?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 10:50 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have it on my 996, don't have it on my 986.

I would not call it a "must have" but it is a nice safety blanket in very inclement weather.

As a side note I find it amusing how many people are afraid to turn it off or drive on the street or track without it. I often turn it off on my 996.

These cars demand respect, but they are certainly in no way dangerous without PSM.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:20 PM
estsn.com
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay - Would you consider PSM a "must have" if you have no intention of ever driving the 996 in any amount of snow? Mine will be going into storage when the first snowfall hits. I do plan to drive it in the rain but I don't need it to get to work or anything, so if there's even a half-inch of snow I'm not going to drive it.

The reason I ask is that I'm looking at buying a 996 C2 which does not have PSM, but the price is amazing.

Honestly, my first choice was a C4, and I wasn't even really considering a C2, but then I found an amazing deal on a 2003 C2 and thought "Hey, with the exception of the TT every car I've ever owned has been RWD."
Old 04-15-2008, 09:46 AM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

PSM is MUCH less intrusive than DSC or ASC by BMW. I've driven both at the Performance Center and I am really impressed with PSM. It would be a deal breaker for me, as ASC & DSC have saved my butt WAY too many times in normal driving (heavy rain, wet leaves, black ice, sand..)
Old 04-15-2008, 11:09 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by estsn.com
Okay - Would you consider PSM a "must have" if you have no intention of ever driving the 996 in any amount of snow?
I would not consider it a "must have" in that situation. Keep in mind Porsche chose not to even offer PSM on the much more powerful 996 GT3.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:13 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
I would not consider it a "must have" in that situation. Keep in mind Porsche chose not to even offer PSM on the much more powerful 996 GT3.
Must be a reason they added it on the 997 GT3s
Old 04-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
Must be a reason they added it on the 997 GT3s
My guess.....lawyers. Do you think it's a "must have" Robin?
Old 04-15-2008, 01:15 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

After living with my daily beater (c4) for the past 3 years. I would have say it is a "must" feature for the 911 cars, at least for me.

The Porsche PSM is one of the best handling help aid I have ever experienced in any car that I have driven. The BMW and ferrari's traction control on the F360 is way too retarded (pun intended) compare to the Porsche's PSM system. Not sure about the new F430 system.

I do tend to push my cars fairly hard, if it wasn't the occasional PSM icon flashes I would assume it was "me" that was skillful. At no time did I ever felt it was the PSM doing it's work, it is very fast reacting and very unintrusive system.

Again, at least for me it would be a must feature that I would want on all of my 911s.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:19 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

Originally Posted by Ray S
I believe the PSM was not compatible with the LSD settings in the 996 GT3.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:09 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The redneck side of me says PSM is actually an acronym for Phenomenally Stupid Move! If you’re recklessly enough or untalented enough to get a car as capable as a 996 out of sorts on a dry street the system should save your *** and then take away your keys. Snow is a different story.

The practical side of me says it’s an amazing system that may save your life or the life of someone else so get it if you can.

The racer side of me says learn to drive your car on the track so you know your car's limits and your own limits. Knowing how to get yourself out of trouble when things go bad is a great skill to have no matter what you're driving. And it's fun!
Jim
Old 04-15-2008, 02:15 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by JimB
The racer side of me says learn to drive your car on the track so you know your car's limits and your own limits. Knowing how to get yourself out of trouble when things go bad is a great skill to have no matter what you're driving. And it's fun!
Jim
Jim,

I agree with everything you said about the track and learning the behavior and limitation of the car.

Here is what I see as the real value of the PSM, on the track the road surface condition is fairly predictable and consistent. On public roads the road condition changes all the time, sometimes drivers can get caught off guard. That's where the PSM can be a big help in life saving.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:26 PM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I did order PSM with my 01 996. I've never had it go on when on public roads, however, I do drive carefully. On the track is another story. I have tracked the car extensively and it frequently came on in my novice years and occasionally as I became more experienced. The only time I have ever turned it off was during skid schools.
I consider it as "insurance".
Old 04-15-2008, 02:47 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't have it. I rationalize that no early "real" 911 had it, so I am in good company! I do wish I had it, if for nothing more than insurance in case I do something stupid!
Old 04-15-2008, 02:50 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
Jim,

I agree with everything you said about the track and learning the behavior and limitation of the car.

Here is what I see as the real value of the PSM, on the track the road surface condition is fairly predictable and consistent. On public roads the road condition changes all the time, sometimes drivers can get caught off guard. That's where the PSM can be a big help in life saving.
As always, I agree with Robin. Well except for the 993 thing but we don't want to go there now.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:10 PM
estsn.com
Advanced

So the consensus seems to be that PSM is a great feature to have and pretty much everyone agrees that given the choice they would prefer to have it. A smaller percentage consider it a deal breaker.

Given that:
  • I'm not inclined to excessively spirited driving on public roads,
  • I won't be driving it in the winter at all
  • I've driven sports car my whole life
  • I've taken advanced driving courses
  • I intend to take more in the Porsche
PSM probably shouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

Thanks, as always, for all of the awesome input guys. I love this forum (just moved up to "addict" last night )
Old 04-15-2008, 03:12 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
I believe the PSM was not compatible with the LSD settings in the 996 GT3.
Porsche made PSM work with the LSD on the 40th anniversary models, so it can be done.

Quick Reply: PSM - How important do you think it is?