Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Big decision: Supercharge the 996 C4 Cabrio or buy a 996 Turbo Coupe....

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 01:18 AM
Raisedina911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not a combustion, compression, lag, psi, displacement, induction, etc etc expert. What I take from the dyno chart is that at about 4500 rpms, you get a noticabe kick in both power and torque that I have to think would be felt and it continues up to when you should be shifting.

Compared to othe mods such as headers, cats, mufflers, chips, intakes, etc., the SC seems to give a much bigger power upgrade. I personally am not excited about spending 7-10k for a 20 hp gain when a SC can give you 2-3 times the power for a few grand more. I also agree that after an SC installation, if the origingal engine lasts for 40k additional miles, that is fine for me because I am a weekend warrior who likes to have a few blast off sessions over each weekend. 40k miles is probably 5-7 years. It all depends on what your program is.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:29 AM
bmartini
Instructor

forgive me for being PRACTICAL AND REALISTIC but if porsche could supercharge the water cooled 3.4 properly they would have done it. but VW -ahhhemmm, i mean porsche couldn't do it. once again, the block which is air cooled on the TTs is done so for a reason.

i've done more than a few R&Rs (see my past posts) and in my experience, you are looking at a whole of computer issues, your dash lighting up like a christmas tree, and some shiity *** resale.

scrap up the cash, get a TT, and enjoy life.

no offense, but the 3.4 is **** in my opinion. worth the (used car) money for the speed and flash but it ain't quality.

just my $.02.....
Old 04-16-2008, 01:35 AM
Raisedina911
Intermediate

I would take your oppinion seriously if you had more experience with Porsches - Jeeeeeeze you have had some nice cars(my favorite was the 84 cab - ours was red and was an upgrade from a '74 911s)

What about in a 3.6l? What about tiptonic?
Old 04-16-2008, 10:39 AM
yasuro
Pro

Originally Posted by Jackel

Thanks everyone. I have to wait for some money coming in and bills going bye-bye, but this will happen. I am concerned about the engine difference (my biggest concern actually) as I'm planning on keeping the car, for good, either way. So, how it holds up over the next 10yrs/120,000 miles is critical. However, I also saw some had as much as 60,000 miles on an SC without an engine blowing up. I've heard a turbo engine is $20,000 vs. $10,000 for a n/a 996 engine. Between those two costs I could still replace my engine twice for the cost of one turbo engine (including the cost to "upgrade" to a TT coupe). Please correct me if my math is way off. Plus, it sounds like the SC is quicker on the power and holds its own vs a stock TT, especially at lower speeds (where I drive it most the time) like 0-60. I really appreciate the input, I'll be talking to Orin at Eurosports Ltd here in the next few days (a very reputable installer
well, with your criterion, it seems an SC is the way to go.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:44 PM
Jackel
Instructor

I just talked with the speed shop. Great guy. Seemed to say the same things as most on this site have. It sounds like its back to the "speed=money" as always!
If I SC I should have a quicker initial acceleration at any speed and when the stock TT goes on boost it will catch up a little and be pretty much up to the drivers at that point.
Sounds good to me. Besides, if I'm itching to blow 15 grand on this, I can only imagine what will happen after I buy the Turbo! Money isn't limitless for me and there is an upper limit for a street daily driver for me. If I need sub 11 1/4 mile times, I'll have to get a bike again (Wife is hoping I avoid that, and this upgrade may help) Thanks again all. I'll keep trolling rennlist and keep an open mind to both options. Both are great cars, no doubt the TT is sturdier, that's why its so much more $$$.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:10 AM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when are you making this move? if immediately then I'd say do what you feel is right, but if you can hold out, TTs have been falling off a cliff lately, enjoy the summer cruising in the cab, wait it out until winter and I'll bet the pricing gap will narrow quite a bit

Quick Reply: Big decision: Supercharge the 996 C4 Cabrio or buy a 996 Turbo Coupe....