Sponsored by:

Vibration/buzzing coming from the dash

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 05:20 PM
gofor28off
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration/buzzing coming from the dash

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this, and more importantly corrected it.
I have an annoying buzzing/vibration which seems to be coming from the central dashboard. It is not there when the car is cold (for example in the morning just out of the garage) but does emerge once the heat has warmed the car up to normal and/or it has been out in the sun for a while.
It occurs between 3-4000 RPM and most loudest under harder acceleration.
I don't think it is the cup hoder as I have played with that and it does not seem to stop it. I also don't think it is the middle console. Seems to be in the dash.
Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:12 PM
springgeyser
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an annoying rattle form the dash also but I pinpointed where the noise is coming from. One is from the lefthand side gauge console area. The other is the 'plastic cover thingy' at the center dash right next to the windshield.

I haven't had the time to open it up and tighten everything down.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:21 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by gofor28off
I wonder if anyone else has experienced this, and more importantly corrected it.
I have an annoying buzzing/vibration which seems to be coming from the central dashboard. It is not there when the car is cold (for example in the morning just out of the garage) but does emerge once the heat has warmed the car up to normal and/or it has been out in the sun for a while.
It occurs between 3-4000 RPM and most loudest under harder acceleration.
I don't think it is the cup hoder as I have played with that and it does not seem to stop it. I also don't think it is the middle console. Seems to be in the dash.
Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks.
My aluminum guage rings were doing that. I had to re-install them with better sticky tape Fixed it for me.

Good luck!

-td
Old 04-08-2008, 08:31 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My alarm light does that in mine. Apparently, wedging some felt in there can do the trick.

J
Old 04-09-2008, 08:13 AM
gofor28off
Racer

wedging some felt in there can do the trick
Wedging where? Do you mean between the alarm light and the windshield? How do you get at it?
I haven't had the time to open it up and tighten everything down.
By opening it up do you mean removing the dash? Is it difficult to do? I will do a search here and see if I can find instructions.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:27 AM
ghostwriter11
Racer

I have the same (or a similar) buzzing coming from the **passenger side** dash area that's DRIVING ME ABSOLUTELY NUTS

I'm going to take apart the in-dash speaker cover this weekend and see if it's in there. Or possibly it's in the passenger-sdie airbag compartment?

Rattles and buzzes make me insane, especially in a car of this caliber.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:04 AM
fastbydrmike
Intermediate

My buzzing was coming from the aluminum shift ring around my gear shift at the bottom near the boot. I can put my hand on it and it quits.

Mike
Old 04-10-2008, 08:08 AM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

not sure on where to place the felt....I haven't attempted it yet...with warmer weather approaching, I'm hoping I won't have to deal with it till fall again. But, I was thinking of placing or wedging a small piece in the gap b/w the light housing and dash...in the rear portion. When I hold that light housing down, the squeak goes away..

J
Old 04-10-2008, 09:22 AM
gofor28off
Racer

I have the same (or a similar) buzzing coming from the **passenger side** dash area that's DRIVING ME ABSOLUTELY NUTS

I'm going to take apart the in-dash speaker cover this weekend and see if it's in there. Or possibly it's in the passenger-sdie airbag compartment?
This does sound similar to mine. It is more a buzzing/vibration than a squeak or rattle, and it does seem to be coming from the passenger side.
How do you get the speaker cover off, or get into the airbag compartment? do you have to remove the dash?
Please let me know how you make out.
Thanks,
Old 04-10-2008, 02:18 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

The speaker and cover come off with two torx style bolts. It is a five minute job to remove and you can reach down to the airbag area when the speaker is out. A small piece of 3M two sided tape gets rid of most rattles. Ask me how I know...
Attached Images    
Old 04-10-2008, 10:49 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Mark, maybe it's just me, but I think that first pic shows steps that are a little drastic just to get rid of a few dashboard rattles!
Old 04-11-2008, 02:09 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Tim, I couldn't help it....those rattles drove me nuts. You should see how much 3M tape I used.
After all that work, it turned out that the source of the buzz was the vibrator that Chuck hid back there.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:56 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Mfletch
Tim, I couldn't help it....those rattles drove me nuts. You should see how much 3M tape I used.
After all that work, it turned out that the source of the buzz was the vibrator that Chuck hid back there.
:roflmao pics or ban!!!.... ah no wait I dont want to see that!
Old 04-13-2008, 10:30 AM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

is it a quiet buzz? mine has developed this in the last maybe 6 months? it is quiet enought that i can drown it but it is annoying.

it is rpm related and is from the upper part of the dash around the window. i thought it might be my dash surround as i put a leather one in a year or more ago. the sound may be cold ambient temperature related but i really have not been able to see the pattern of occurance.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:05 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mfletch
LOL!!!! Hey, maybe THAT was the cause of the fire?

Quick Reply: Vibration/buzzing coming from the dash