SmartTop RemoteTop Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 11:01 AM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts
Default SmartTop RemoteTop Problem

I just installed Smart Top and Remote Top in my 99 996 Cab. Both units seems to work well, except for one thing.

When I want to just unlock the car when the alarm is on, the remotetop is opening the top. I just press the remote for less than a second. The top opened in 2 out of 3 times.

I think if I needed to use the remote to open the top, that I would need to hold the remote for a second or two. That does work also.

The only thing that I think that could cause this, is that I needed to change the battery in the car last week. I am not sure if that had something to do with this. I only installed the smarttop and remotetop for about 2 weeks now, so I do not have a lot of experience in using it.

Also, my front windows roll up after the top opens, is this normal too?
Old 04-07-2008, 11:27 AM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the Smart Top so I can address the last question. If the windows are up before you hit the button they return to that position. If the widows are down they stay down. That's what mine do anyway.
BTW, did you break that little white/gray locking tab on the module when you took it out? I couldn't get mine out any other way!
Old 04-07-2008, 12:10 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gaspasser19
I have the Smart Top so I can address the last question. If the windows are up before you hit the button they return to that position. If the widows are down they stay down. That's what mine do anyway.
BTW, did you break that little white/gray locking tab on the module when you took it out? I couldn't get mine out any other way!
Hello,

Thanks. That makes sense, but I am not sure if it consistently does this (as far as rolling the front windows back up). As a matter of fact, the remotetop instructions, it says that for 2001 and newer 996's the windows can roll up, and there is a procedure for disabling it.

As far as the white/gray tab, I was able to press on the top, to open it without breaking. It is a "safety" locking clip, that when you press a certain way, it opens.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:39 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

I found out from the makers of the RemoteTop how to fix the issue of it opening today.

For some cars, the horn notification when arming and disarming the alarm (function 5), needs to be OFF, or set to only lock. With some 996, like mine, the unlock setting causes issues.

Quick Reply: SmartTop RemoteTop Problem