Sponsored by:

Bridgestone RE050A Runflats

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 06:49 AM
LFogelson
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bridgestone RE050A Runflats

Does anyone know if these tires (bridgestone potenza RE050a runflats) are ok?? Brought a 2002 996 Cabriolet for a PPI and the mechanic says they are not a "porsche" tire and not built for the toe-in and camber on a 996. He is not sure the run flat is even safe on 18in rims. The pole position are listed as proper on tire rack but not the run flat. The run flat info on tire rack says for oe replacement only. Also not on the list as a tire for the 996 on the bridgestone website. Are they going to be safe? He said if I buy the car I should toss the tires in the garbage. Opinions? Also has plane re040a on the back, not the pole position. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:49 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm sure others will say you're 'fine', but since you asked for opinions... I would do as the mechanic says, for a few reasons:

One, I'm just not that confident about run-flats on rims not designed for them.

Two, I don't like the ride run-flats give you. We have them on the Mini and, honestly, it's so buckboard-like that I'd have to believe a car company would need to tune the suspension to accommodate that and still get great compliance over little pavement irregularities. My .02.

Three, I'm in the 'N-spec' tire camp. This is a divisive issue here, but that's where my vote is.

And four, I wouldn't mix tires front to rear, if that's what your last comment means. I know it's 'okay' sometimes, and I know that money matters. It's just my fussy style, but I want the same rubber on both axles so that I'm getting what the suspension gives me without any static. Handling is half the reason you buy a Porsche.

You should get lots of good comments on this, and not all will agree with me I'm sure, but there's a start. I'd get the chequebook out and put fresh N-spec tires on the car. You'll love the results.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:08 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

^^^ What he said. I'd go with the Porsche-recommended N-spec tires, matching all around. It's an expensive, high-performance vehicle--I don't plan on cutting any corners, especially on the rubber.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:45 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do the run flat have pressure monitoring? that's not an option on 996. if the tires are flat, you wouldn't know with a TPMS. donno why anyone would install run flat without TPMS.

given this said, what do you plan to do with the car? i'd not track it w these tires. if you just run on the street and don't crazy, you can use it up and just get new ones OR sell these used for cheap. it's a waste to throw away if they are still good. just my 2 cents. re050a are excellent tires, esp for the price. i doubt the lack of n spec rating would cause any harm as long as car has TPMS for the run flat. if not, i'd change the tires soon.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:43 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

I had those on my 335i. They are OK, but weigh more, and are generally a "harder" tire. So you may get unexpected ride issues.

If you have a spare, IMHO, there is no need to go to a runflat. Also, if you get a nail in the tire, they are not fixable. I know this from experience.

Quick Reply: Bridgestone RE050A Runflats