Sponsored by:

Tiptronic transmission service questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 04:28 PM
bmartini
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiptronic transmission service questions

hi guys, last week i put in a new motor in my tiptronic. i lost all the fluid in the torque converter when i separated the engine from the tranny. the fluid was black with no signs of pink, so i assumed it was dirty hydraulic oil. specs say ATF.

anyways, because of the low fluid, it was slipping here and there in the upper gears. i just did a tranny service with Mobil One synthentic ATF. the fluid was low to begin with, but now is even lower because i removed about a gallon of fluid, yet could only put back 2.5 quarts.

i read the DIY in renntech but my question is, how do i get the rest of the oil in there? i think my slipping is a low pressure problem.

i was thinking to wait for the car to cool, start it, and immedietly begin pumping in new ATF before it gets hot. am i missing something? does this car actually take hydraulic oil in the tranny?
Old 04-06-2008, 07:27 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The fluid from the converter is impossible to drain out completely unless you cut the converter open on a lathe.

The pan holds around 3.5 quarts. Total is around 9 with converter filled I believe.

The trans has to be cold, around 85-115 degrees when you check the fluid level.

There are 2 openings, one is a drain (small allen) and the other is the "stovepipe" hole (large allen).

**I buy a new gear oil hand pump from an auto parts store every time to avoid contamination. I buy the clear ones too, to see what is going on while pumping. I use the gear oil ones because they are made to move large amounts of thick fluid quickly.**

To check:

1. Idling in park or neutral on level ground, open up stovepipe plug.
2. Add fluid in stovepipe hole and stop once it starts to run out.
3. Close plug and shift through the gears a few times.
4. Reopen stovepipe and check level.
5. Add fluid if low or let run out if over serviced.
6. Reinstall plug.

It is not hydraulic oil, it would be too thick and the clutches would slip instantly. Pump pressure would be higher than what the seals could probably handle internally. ATF is like 10 weight.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:56 PM
bmartini
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks tippy. job done, shift fine now. i misread the DIY article and didn't let the car idle as i filled it (duh!) cheers!

Quick Reply: Tiptronic transmission service questions