Sponsored by:

OEM MK1 Aero Kit Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 02:54 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
Default OEM MK1 Aero Kit Questions

Hi Guys. I'm getting ready to have my aerokit painted, so I can install it. Are their any parts that I need other than the front bumper, side skirts with hardware, and the bare taco tail. I bought the gt3 front lip already. I need a gurney lip? Wiring? and something to ram air down the vents, just in front of the taco tail. Thanks for the help.
Attached Images  
Old 04-02-2008, 08:24 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Gurney flap is about it. IIRC it was Black on GT3's and body color on Aero kit 996's.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:51 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Gurney flap is about it. IIRC it was Black on GT3's and body color on Aero kit 996's.
+1 including the front lip.

C.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:33 AM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Beautiful Blue and excellent car!
Old 04-02-2008, 12:45 PM
wlee69
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have the OEM spoiler that goes up and down based on your speed, you need a different wiring harness that will make it so that the spoiler light on your dash doesn't stay on all the time. If you do a search, there is partnumbers listed for the wiring harness.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:53 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Mark,

Can't wait until its all done for you. It will be a better looking car than the pic you posted.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:29 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

yes... some to consider, will you put the gt-rears, will you paint the gurney flap... also bumperplugs and door plugs, hell while your at it, what about painting the rear wiper delete plug... I think that should be it. Your choice... Its gonna look killer!
Old 04-02-2008, 08:59 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the info Guys. I really appreciate it. Audi & Chad, I'l keep the front lip and Gurney flap in black to match the wheels.
Thanks Bella.
Wlee, thanks for the wiring harness info. I'll give Sunset a call.
Chsu, thank you.
Red, I like the look of your's without the rear GT parts. I will probably fill in the bumper holes for the plate. No wiper delete plug. This car came without the rear wiper option (different panel). Thanks.

Is there anything that covers the two air induction holes that are in front of the taco tail (like a screen)? Where do I buy the Gurney flap? Thanks again, Mark.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:01 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get the whole kit including the rear strakes
Old 04-02-2008, 09:13 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Ben, I love the look of Chsu's car with the GT tail skirts. On the other hand, I love the look of Redridge's without. I have a scratch on my lower rear bumper on the passenger side. The GT tail skirts would cover it up perfectly. I have the other OEM peices. Does anybody know where I can get a decent price on the GT tail skirts?
I'm having the hood repainted when I have everything else done. It has a few rock chips and I want the paint to look perfect. Thanks for the reminder Ben. I either have to repaint the rear bumper, to get it right, or get the skirts. Buying the skirts and having them painted with the other parts, will probably cost the same as having the rear bumper repainted.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Big6Dad
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great timing...I am installing an aero kit II for my 2004 C2. Anyone have a picture of the gurney flap? I did a search but did not find anything. TIA
Old 04-02-2008, 10:08 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Mark... I bought the gt-skirt and had them painted when I installed my aerokit... one day when I get weak Im gonna put them on. I love both looks so its there already painted when I need them. You can get a pair of oem from dps for about $450 and knock off for about $150 on ebay... youll see them once in a while in ebay. The gurney lip is hard to come by and need to get them from a dealer (sunset/suncoast is a good bet). As far as a screen for the wing... they never came with one. I dont think it will do anything anyway since the airflow wont alow any debris to fall in their. FVD sells a scoop for the intake area, but It doesnt look factory anymore... GL with the hunt.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:57 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Redridge, you have the nicest 996 ever and you are an encyclopedia of information. Thanks. I think I'm going to have the scratches fixed. I don't want to add on the skirts, just to cover up a scratch. I love the clean look of your car without the rear skirts. They look nice from the side, but I don't like the look from the back.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:03 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mfletch
Ben, I love the look of Chsu's car with the GT tail skirts. On the other hand, I love the look of Redridge's without. I have a scratch on my lower rear bumper on the passenger side. The GT tail skirts would cover it up perfectly. I have the other OEM peices. Does anybody know where I can get a decent price on the GT tail skirts?
I'm having the hood repainted when I have everything else done. It has a few rock chips and I want the paint to look perfect. Thanks for the reminder Ben. I either have to repaint the rear bumper, to get it right, or get the skirts. Buying the skirts and having them painted with the other parts, will probably cost the same as having the rear bumper repainted.

aside from the functional aspect of the rear skirts (major hairsplittage), i think it gives it the proper width that the narrowbody mk1 sorely needs. having the complete kit is just... that... complete. i love it and while it's teh least important visual piece, it's like finishing off a suit with a matching pocket square. not necessary but makes an impact. good luck im excited for u!
Old 04-03-2008, 12:13 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Ben. I looked at a bunch of pictures featuring aerokit cars here. These two pictures really illustrate my favorite angle for the spats and my least favorite angle.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: OEM MK1 Aero Kit Questions