Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Alcantara steering wheel with graphite grey airbag, and other steering wheel issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 01:27 AM
ericpike
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alcantara steering wheel with graphite grey airbag, and other steering wheel issues

I'm considering replacing my cracked carbon fiber steering wheel. I bought a standard 3 spoke leather wheel, but I'm not crazy about the look of the textured leather, plus it feels thinner than the CF wheel (or is this just my imagination?)

Does anyone know if an Alcantara steering wheel looks ok with a graphite grey leather airbag cover? Does anyone have pics of this combo? Also, is the Alcantara wheel any thicker than the base 3 spoke leather wheel?

I've also considered having my CF wheel wrapped in leather (either with or without additional padding), but I'm nervous that I might be less than happy with the end results.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Eric
Old 04-02-2008, 01:43 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get the thick option oem wheel
Old 04-02-2008, 07:20 PM
ericpike
Track Day

Thanks Ben. But I think the thick oem only comes in black leather. I would need gray
Old 04-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Here is another option.
Attached Images  
Old 04-03-2008, 11:36 AM
aron in toronto
Pro

Try Dallas steering wheel restorations. They car refinish you wheel in alcantara or leather and can also do a thicker wrap.
www.dallassteeringwheel.com
Old 04-03-2008, 10:15 PM
ericpike
Track Day

Mark - that looks amazing. But I'd probably need an airbag

Aron - thanks for the link. I dropped them an email. Have you had any dealings with this company?

Thanks,
Eric
Old 08-14-2008, 11:45 PM
ericpike
Track Day

Thanks to Aron for suggesting Dallas Steering Wheel Restorations. I ended up having them wrap my wheel in Alcantara. I tend to have pretty high expectations, and this company has really impressed me. They sent pics of fabric samples, asked me to send my gear shift for color matching, and even asked about my choice of thread color and the stitch pattern. The quality of their workmanship was really impressive, and they had a fast turn around. The price was reasonable. I don't have any affiliation with them, I just thought that others could benefit from my experience.

As for the alcantara look on gray leather, I'm not entirely convinced I made the right decision (gray leather may have looked better), but that's no fault of Dallas Steering. Here are some pics...
Attached Images      
Old 08-15-2008, 12:23 AM
vwrado
Instructor

What kind of price would one be expecting to do this?
Old 08-15-2008, 12:56 AM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

That looks great!!

Im having Dallas Steeringwheel re-do my wheel exactly the same way... as well as a few other interior pieces.

I thought about the lighter gray too -- even had Gulf fabrics send me all of their gray alcantara swatches... but i think the color you chose matches the shifter better - and will show less dirt / sweat. Don is awesome to work with and has endured tons of email questions from me. Im glad you had a good experience.

First, how do you like the feel?

Second, any tips on the install?
Old 08-15-2008, 02:08 AM
NOBY
Pro

I wanna know the price!
Old 08-15-2008, 08:34 AM
Glenn
Racer

Yeah price range please/
Old 08-15-2008, 10:21 AM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Check out Dallassteeringwheel.com and send them an email. They usually respond the same day - and get a quote they will stick to.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:26 AM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

I found my parts via the internet and EBay. The steering wheel is available from Gemballa and Suncoast Motorsports on EBay. The matching airbag assembly is available from Suncoast Motorsports and DP-Motorsports on EBay. The matching shifter and boot is available from Suncoast, Gemballa, and DP-Motorsports. Suncoast is a Porsche dealer and can order stitching to match your color desires.
Using all three of these resources I was able to get the Steering wheel, Airbag assembly, and matching 6-speed shifter and boot for a total of $1400. Brumos Porsche charged 1 hour labor to install the steering wheel and the airbag assembly for me so that I didn't explode anything trying it myself. The shifter/boot is 45 seconds installation time in your driveway.
Do not order the matching E-brake assembly from Suncoast. They only had one left and I can't afford it until next month.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:11 PM
ericpike
Track Day

I paid $316 including return shipping. Don asks the right questions so he knows exactly what you want. The alcantara has a great feel. I think the carbon fiber wheel is thicker than a base leather wheel, and Don added a think layer of padding, so my wheel is pretty thick. But I have big hands, so it is perfect for me. I had a shop install it.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:14 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Good price!
Unfortunately, I started with a bone stock '99 4-spoke steering wheel and airbag assembly that originally came on my car. None of that could be transferred to the 3-spoke, thicker sport wheel that I wanted. Fortunately, the igniter assembly was reuseable, which saved me a bunch of cash by not having to purchase that as well. The leather-faced (w/gold Porsche crest) airbag assembly from Porsche was a perfect fit. All of the new parts were a perfect match for my '99's original all black full-leather interior with all red stictching everywhere.
The shifter on my car was the standard leather, and the shift pattern was not painted. The new shifter has matching fabric and thread to the steering wheel, just like yours.
I had zip down-time since I coordinated the swap at the same time as my annual service.
I sent an e-mail to Dallas Steering Wheel last Friday afternoon to see what can be done about my E-brake handle to continue the alcantara with red stitching theme.

Quick Reply: Alcantara steering wheel with graphite grey airbag, and other steering wheel issues