Sponsored by:

dumb CPO question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 07:57 PM
speedyjp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dumb CPO question...

My new to me 03 996 is covered by a CPO warranty. A 'dealer' is telling me I am required to have all of my service/maintenance performed by them to keep my warranty valid.

Any truth to this? I haven't found anything like this in writing.

Also, anybody have any recommendations on mechanics in the Long Beach/North/Northwest OC area?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-20-2008, 08:43 PM
shustermeister
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

If you have a true Porsche Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) warranty, any Porsche dealer should perform work under the warranty. There should be nothing in the paperwork that requires you to have service performed by that particular dealer.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:51 PM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only thing you need to do is go to a different dealer. You can get oil changes, etc. wherever you would like. I did mine at indy and never asked about it during a warranty visit.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:53 PM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh, and pics are mandatory around here...
Old 03-20-2008, 08:55 PM
uberskier
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

I can't speak 100% for whether all maintenance has to be done at a Porsche dealer, but I certainly know that I'm not going to have any work done on my CPO'd car at the dealer I'm buying it from.

Not that I don't like the dealer, but I've got a flight in less than 12 hours to go to Kentucky to pick up my car. So I'm certainly not driving 11 hours to get any work done there!

With my Audi that was CPO'd, having regular maintenance done at an independent shop had no effect on my CPO warranty.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:06 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

I believe that it's actually illegal for a dealer to say that it's mandatory to have service conducted there to maintain the warranty.... it's a federal consumer protection law, but I don't have time to search for it right now... if someone can help me out and post it that would be great - if not I'll try to find it later... after Lost.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:27 AM
speedyjp
Instructor

Thx all. Will look for a local independent when I need one. Didn't think I was being told the truth. My CPO warranty is good till Feb. 2009. Hope if anything is going to happen, that it happens before then. haha
Old 03-21-2008, 07:46 AM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Like you, I have a CPO '03 and I have been taking it to the dealer for oil changes, etc. Could I do my own oil changes? Sure. But I think it would be a hard practice to defend if I had a catastrophic failure that the dealer tried to attribute to a poor maintenance history.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:31 AM
rmillnj
Racer

The CPO warranty will be honored by any Porsche dealer regardless of where the service was done. Technically service can be done by anybody, including independents. When you have all of the service done as scheduled by a Porsche dealer there will never be any issues should something major break. If you have had all of your work done by an independent and don't have complete records, you have now given them wiggle room to question things.

My opinion is that you are safer using Porsche dealers to do the normally scheduled maintenance while under warranty. They will automatically replace or repair any covered items. With an independent you are going to have to fight to get Porsche to reimburse you and they might question the reliability of the independent work.

I have also heard stories that if you have a problem just out of warranty that Porsche is much more inclined to be helpful on cars that can show a full service history by Porsche dealers.

Quick Reply: dumb CPO question...