Driving in hard rain

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 02:26 PM
nazhat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving in hard rain

All,

I was driving home today in really hard rain and the check engine light came on for a second and turned off and drive to ship memo came on as well and turned off. During that time, the car kinda hesitated, as if it was running out of gas. Is that normal under heavy rain???
Old 03-18-2008, 03:44 PM
rmillnj
Racer

I had the same thing on my car a week ago. Left it outside in a very heavy rainfall with heavy wind. I had the car parked where it was really exposed to the wind, normally when it is outside it is in close to the house and protected from the wind.. When I went to drive it I immediately got the flashing light and it was obvious it was only running on 5 cylinders. The codes were P0305 and P1317 - basically not firing on cylinder #5. I started it the next day when the sun came back out and it ran fine. Cleared the codes and it has been running fine ever since.

Talked to the service manager and he thinks some water got to where it doesn't belong on the ignition coil or else a loose wire. He recomended not to worry about it as long as it doesn't come back. The car has been and is still running very strong other than that one little episode.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:02 PM
JonesnSince78
Advanced

The coil packs are prone to developing hairline cracks over time. While dry it's not usually a problem, but if moisture seeps into the cracks from driving in a heavy rain (or just very humid air), it will cause misfires. I had similar symptoms and replaced the coils when it was time for new plugs and it made a big difference.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:43 PM
Miller_arch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I ran through a lake of water on the freeway at 65MPH. Hydroplaned big time. While I was focused on the road I did see a red light come on and then go off in the blink of eye out of the corner of my eye. Must have been the CEL light too. At first I thought it might be the PSM system but that is a yellow light I believe. The car handled wonderfully BTW… I was on my way to the shop for an alignment after putting ROW M030’s on my car.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:48 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got a check engine code one time after I washed the car. Must have sprayed some water somewhere I shouldn't have. Cleared the code, and it never returned.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:09 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JonesnSince78
The coil packs are prone to developing hairline cracks over time. While dry it's not usually a problem, but if moisture seeps into the cracks from driving in a heavy rain (or just very humid air), it will cause misfires. I had similar symptoms and replaced the coils when it was time for new plugs and it made a big difference.
What's the part # for this or where can I find it for a 2002 C4S? Maybe considering doing some preventative maintenance for the next time I"m in the shop. Pretty laborious exchange?
Old 03-20-2008, 03:18 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

http://www.autopartsworld.com/2002_p...oil_parts.html
Old 03-20-2008, 04:45 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Ben
The coil part number is 997-602-104-00 the price is $41.19 ea. X six total price $247.14 . I would have to order them e.t.a. is
three to five days to us.
Thanks

SunsetPhil

Any of you guys do this as preventative maint? should i do it?
Old 03-20-2008, 07:23 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

Perhaps on a 60K or 5 - 6 years old major tuneup where the plugs are being replaced. It can't hurt and plastics around heat becomes brittle overtime.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:25 PM
Rickker
Racer

The first (and only) time I took my '99 C4 through an automatic car wash, I had a similar experience. This was the kind of brushless car wash where the car is stationary, and the spray nozzles move back and forth. I had turned off the engine, while the car was being washed. When the wash cycle was finished, the engine would not start. Finally, after a couple of stressful minutes (there were cars behind, waiting for me to exit the car wash), it did start, but seemed to be running on only 4 or 5 cylinders. I drove it for several miles, but it wouldn't clear. After about 10 miles of driving, it was getting worse, not better. When I was turning around to go home, the engine stalled. Oh sh*t, what am I going to do now? To my amazement, the engine started up, and was running again on all six. All was well!

It seems that a lot of water had entered the intake through the grill on the rear deck lid, and perhaps affected the MAP sensor? Anyway, the action of re-starting the engine seemed to correct the problem, as if the system had re-initiallized itself. In any case, I have stayed away from such car washes ever since.

....Rickker
Old 03-20-2008, 10:46 PM
wxseed
Instructor

I had a similar problem as rickker after going through a touchless car wash and posted it a few weeks ago on renntech. My car didn't quit in the wash but the CEL came on, I had code 1128 and 1130 pending. I think it happened when i opened the engine lid to wipe it down after going through the wash. Lots of water seems to run into the air box. I cleaned the MAF and reset the code and everything is good. i have 2001 C4 with 115,000 km on it .. i think the MAF doesn't like high humidity ...

Quick Reply: Driving in hard rain