Sponsored by:

Proper way to measure non stock suspension ride height

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 06:00 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts
Default Proper way to measure non stock suspension ride height

I am getting PSS9s and GT3 sways installed this week and, while searching, was surprised that there is no information on ride height of X74, ROW 030 or GT3 readily available. Maybe I am just not searching with the correct keywords.

Can someone who better at searches than I get the information quicker? In addition, what is the correct way to measure ride height. Tire wear, I assume, also changes how high you are sitting when checking to see if your adjustable coilovers are slipping. How do you compensate for that?

TIA
Old 03-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

u should know that ride heights vary even in the "set" factory pieces you mentioned. that's why there's even a bushing part with diff widths to compensate for the inexact heights of the factory coilovers .

best way to measure ride height is to go from the center of the wheel to the fender not from the floor to the fender. and try to find a flat spot.

it's not an exact science type thing. just get it as close u can and be done with it. lean on the expertise of the installer/alignment guy and some of the experienced rennlist guys here.

corner balancing is a waste of money especially since the factory cars don't come corner balanced, but i did do it cuz i'm irrational with my $ when it comes to the p-car.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

You could measure actual tire circumference and adjust from new based on the tire manufacturer's specs (if you can find and/or trust them). Not sure many people will go to that extent (note the +/- on the adjustments). Getting the corner balance and alignment dead on would be much higher priority to me.

Height specs follow:
Attached Images   
Old 03-11-2008, 06:25 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Thank you Doug. This is exactly what I am looking for.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:56 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

FWIW (realizing your car is a MKI)...MKII GT3 specs were slightly different from MKI cars and have similar rates to the PSS9's you're looking to put on your car.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ht=ride+height
Old 03-11-2008, 08:04 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

Not on that wonderful list are the X74 specs. X74 lowers the C2 40 mm in the front and 30 mm in the rear.

With some math, that means the ride height of an X74 equipped C2 is similar to the GT3.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:53 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
i did do it cuz i'm irrational with my $ when it comes to the p-car.
Aren't we all? Hello everybody. My name is Chao and I have a problem. I think my wallet has a hole.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by chsu74
Aren't we all? Hello everybody. My name is Chao and I have a problem. I think my wallet has a hole.
i don't think so. i see more stock cars here than modified cars.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:10 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

That may be true. However, sometimes people do not advertise their mods. Most of their mods may be internal/mechanical. Porsche options are considered as mods. PSE, Litronics, ROW and X74 suspensions or GT3 sways are great examples.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:03 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

corner balancing is a waste of money especially since the factory cars don't come corner balanced, but i did do it cuz i'm irrational with my $ when it comes to the p-car.
I'm on record as disagreeing.

(with everything but the irrational part)
Old 03-17-2008, 02:11 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Well,

Picked up the car friday night and drove the car around. And boy was it stiff with setting 6F and 4R. On Sat, the ride got softer and took it for a 2 hr ride up Rt 7 to Kent ,my old boarding school, on Sunday.

There is a nice road that runs up the mountain there called Skiff Mountain Road which connected the old girls campus with the boys testing out GT3 sways and the new suspension.

Feedback: Just like everyone has said before. It drives like a new car. Everything is so precise where by you can point and shoot the car with confidence. The car does not exhibit any lift in the front end on a uphill with a flat turn that its just amazing. Worth every penny.

Now I am letting the springs settle and then go for the final drop and alignment. Rear gap measured is currently approx 1 7/8" according to Euro stock height(thanks to Doug as a baseline above). I am thinking about dropping it 3/4" all around.
Attached Images  
Old 03-17-2008, 02:55 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

a lil more drop wouldn't hurt, but def don't drop as much like u had 19s. a little gap on the 18s is perfect.

did you go to Choate? i had some friends at Andover in MA.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:13 PM
ls911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
Well,

Picked up the car friday night and drove the car around. And boy was it stiff with setting 6F and 4R. On Sat, the ride got softer and took it for a 2 hr ride up Rt 7 to Kent ,my old boarding school, on Sunday.

There is a nice road that runs up the mountain there called Skiff Mountain Road which connected the old girls campus with the boys testing out GT3 sways and the new suspension.

Feedback: Just like everyone has said before. It drives like a new car. Everything is so precise where by you can point and shoot the car with confidence. The car does not exhibit any lift in the front end on a uphill with a flat turn that its just amazing. Worth every penny.

Now I am letting the springs settle and then go for the final drop and alignment. Rear gap measured is currently approx 1 7/8" according to Euro stock height(thanks to Doug as a baseline above). I am thinking about dropping it 3/4" all around.

Excellent Chao!

I've been looking forward in reading about your latest move. Glad it was all of that for you.
Your Aero is looking sweeeet . Love to see a couple of other pics from other angles..if possible.
Side mirror good now?

Enjoy your new p-car
Old 03-17-2008, 04:20 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

a lil more drop wouldn't hurt, but def don't drop as much like u had 19s. a little gap on the 18s is perfect.

did you go to Choate? i had some friends at Andover in MA.
Ben,

Gotcha on the little gap. I am thinking 1 inch to 1 3/8" gap.

I got shipped off to Kent for high school. Hotchkiss, Andover, Choate, Avon Old farms and among others were all part of the "Founders League."
Old 03-17-2008, 04:27 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ls911
Excellent Chao!

I've been looking forward in reading about your latest move. Glad it was all of that for you.
Your Aero is looking sweeeet . Love to see a couple of other pics from other angles..if possible.
Side mirror good now?

Enjoy your new p-car
Hi Ludwig,

Suspension and sways are all the right moves for handling mods when stock wears out. I was running 265s in the rear as winter treads. Summer treads are 285s and it fills the car much fuller than before.

I am leaving for SE Asia and Africa on business at then end of the week returning early April. I will share the final set up with multiple angles when it is all done also. Meantime, just ran out into the back office parking lot and it is what it looks like right now.
Attached Images   

Last edited by chsu74; 03-17-2008 at 05:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Proper way to measure non stock suspension ride height