Sponsored by:

please help, can't figure out misfire.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 10:20 AM
9NINE6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bmartini
no warranty. engine was nearly $6k. doing the labor myself.
seems, sort of steep, 3k w/2yr warranty ....sunset Porsche
Old 03-25-2008, 10:29 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Why do all these motors crap out?
Old 03-25-2008, 10:40 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C4CRNA
Why do all these motors crap out?
is this the Twilight Zone?
Old 03-25-2008, 11:34 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

no, bought it at a porsche salvage yard 80 miles from my house. seller says it's just been rebuilt with a warranty. i haven't picked it up yet, he wants my core first. i hope to get the old motor out by wenesday and the new one in by the end of the week.

no warranty. engine was nearly $6k. doing the labor myself.

i figure i'll change the tranny fluid while i'm at it, does anyone know what exact fluid i need to buy for a tiptronic?

OT: also curious about a good place to buy the updated rear lights, dealer wants almost 800 bucks.
Did you verify that it is rebuilt? I had someone say it was rebuilt then asked for the eng ser # that will tell you if it was done from Porsche, turns out it was not and he said really! For couple more grand you can get it rebuilt from Porsche with 2 year warrenty. If you already paid them then I hope your Karma is good.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:50 AM
bmartini
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mother
Did you verify that it is rebuilt? I had someone say it was rebuilt then asked for the eng ser # that will tell you if it was done from Porsche, turns out it was not and he said really! For couple more grand you can get it rebuilt from Porsche with 2 year warrenty. If you already paid them then I hope your Karma is good.
hah, thanks mother, my karma is awesome and i haven't shed any serious money yet. what is suspicious is that the dealer says no one can rebuild these except the factory, but the guy i am buying the new one from says he rebuilds them.

PLUS, today, my tech said it doesn't sound that serious because the car drives and doesn't even idle rough. so i am putting the replacement engine on hold and i am gonna pop open my left valve cover and see whats up. we both have a feeling that the bracket holding the valve (spring) broke or got loose. i have my fingers crossed.

also, i will check out sunset porsche later on this week, (thanks).

p.s. no offense to 996 fanatics but these '99 3.4 engines are pieces of ****. i have owned dozens of different makes and models and this is the first well maintained car to take a dump this serious on me at 70k miles. like i said in previous posts, i miss the freakin 993s but it's too bad they look so outdated.... (IMHO)
Old 03-26-2008, 09:26 AM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

PLUS, today, my tech said it doesn't sound that serious because the car drives and doesn't even idle rough. so i am putting the replacement engine on hold and i am gonna pop open my left valve cover and see whats up. we both have a feeling that the bracket holding the valve (spring) broke or got loose. i have my fingers crossed.
It seems that compression and leak down tests would be done before removing the valve cover, which isn't exactly a simple process because the cams must be supported before the cover can come off.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:17 PM
bmartini
Instructor

does anyone have the contact info for Sunset Porsche? i googled and keep getting a dealership in Oregon.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:33 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

does anyone have the contact info for Sunset Porsche? i googled and keep getting a dealership in Oregon.
That's them as far as I know. I called a few weeks ago and the engines where around $8200 exchange. Let us know what they quoted you maybe we can do group buy.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:56 PM
bmartini
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mother
That's them as far as I know. I called a few weeks ago and the engines where around $8200 exchange. Let us know what they quoted you maybe we can do group buy.
yeah, i got the same price. the one i am buying is about $7k with a 6 month warranty. they are giving me back $1500 for my core so net cost is $5500.

today i drained and disconnected all the fluids, hoses, wires, etc... tomorrow i hope to drop the drivetrain...
Old 03-27-2008, 01:43 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes...Sunset is in Oregon....a great guy to deal with for the Porsche stuff is Jeff Clark....he puts it together and if he can save you some money he will speak up and offer a suggestion. I buy almost all my parts from them. You can contact him directly at JeffClark@Sunsetimports.com.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:18 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 100 Posts

Maybe I missed it, but did you determine what was actually wrong with the engine? It sounds like you had a misfire and then decided you need a new engine. Was there some diagnosis between those points that led you to this conclusion? If not, I'm with Doug. Perform a leakdown test and try to get some answers before you shell out for a reman engine.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:11 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

yeah, i got the same price. the one i am buying is about $7k with a 6 month warranty. they are giving me back $1500 for my core so net cost is $5500.

today i drained and disconnected all the fluids, hoses, wires, etc... tomorrow i hope to drop the drivetrain...
Hope it works for ya that's the main thing, but is the engine been rebuilt by them with receipts or did they just say that? Einmalig in cal has the same offer but in my opinion they just did not make me feel rosey like they just wanted to get rid of the engine with a sales pitch. Sounds like you are making good progress.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:15 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Yes...Sunset is in Oregon....a great guy to deal with for the Porsche stuff is Jeff Clark....he puts it together and if he can save you some money he will speak up and offer a suggestion. I buy almost all my parts from them. You can contact him directly at JeffClark@Sunsetimports.com.
+10000

except i work thru philcoy@sunsetimports.com. very responsive.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:05 PM
bmartini
Instructor

whew! new engine is in. minor setbacks like different wire harnesses and intakes set me back about a day. anyways the car won't crank. two ideas: first, something with the alarm, and second, starter isn't working.

i'm exhausted so i plan to test the starter tomorrow, but do these cars have any special tricks to the alarms? i closed everthing and locked the door with the key. then unlocked, opened the door, and turned the ignition. getting full power, just no crank.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:56 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Wow, I have no clue how to help I just wanted to let you know that what you did was impressive as hell.

When I was a kid my friend's Supra engine imploded. He ordered a new engine and we spent 14 hours ripping out the old one and installing the new block. Car wouldn't turn over.. next day we check and the timing belt was off... a quick adjustment and it fired right up.

Good luck dude!

Last edited by Riad; 03-29-2008 at 08:01 PM.

Quick Reply: please help, can't figure out misfire.