Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

C4S SOLD!!! Forgive me, but I TOLD YOU SO!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 12:42 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Well, this is another example that helps assert that Rennlisters know squat about market pricing for Porsches.

Many have talked about this before and the habit of this board undervaluing cars.

There's a lot to be said about not posting your car for sale here.
W- I agree, but I would bet that prices vary with geographic location. Fortunately, I have no plans to sell my 4S. I'm still on track to drive it - BTW, any update on the 4/19 run?
Old 03-08-2008, 12:59 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
W- I agree, but I would bet that prices vary with geographic location. Fortunately, I have no plans to sell my 4S. I'm still on track to drive it - BTW, any update on the 4/19 run?

Agreed, prices do vary by geography and economic conditions.

Regardless, I've now seen too many threads where cars have been advertised at a price and everyone has screamed about it being too expensive, when in fact the car has sold above the price where some pegged it.

As for the 4/19 run - all is still going ahead as planned. No change. I'll bounce the threads when I get back from Europe at the end of the week.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:03 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

If I was looking for a 996, I'd buy from a Rennlister in a heartbeat. If I was selling one, Porsche people are the last place I'd look for pricing advice. Forums like this ALWAYS undervalue their cars.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:07 PM
Ms.Greta
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Congratulations on the sale! Can you post your selling price for the car??
Well I probably shouldn't out of respect to the new owner, but if we just keep this to ourselves, it sold for $63,995 (2004 with 55k miles, fully loaded, original sticker was $100k, and included CPO). The dealer up here said he is actually buying up cars from around the country at those low prices and bringing them up here because he has a shortage of cars! If anyone wants a contact name, pm me. I am quite pleased. I'll be back to visit and show you pics of my new Turbo. Meanwhile, don't sell out too low guys!
Old 03-08-2008, 01:22 PM
Bucket_hat_Loren
Instructor

Yes - kudos for sure. I was also skeptical...but pleased that at least somewhere these cars are holding some value. I am keeping the faith! Good for you.

Now, if you could get them to make better coffee at Starbucks it would be a true win/win. Btw, please let me know when/if they decide to test the Clover on the East Coast. As I have about 4 Starbucks within 100 yards of my office (who doesn't) I would even bring in my own roasted / ground coffee for them to use. I am currently grooving on a special Sumatra Lintong roasted to a Full City +. Oh yeah...
Old 03-08-2008, 01:32 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Congratulations on the sale.
2. Congratulations on getting closer to your TT.
3. Now if the new buyer of your 996 shows-up here, we are of course going to tell them they paid too much
4. To the buyer - what were you thinking (must also work at Starbucks, or Microsoft, or Boeing)
Old 03-08-2008, 01:40 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by BruceP
If I was looking for a 996, I'd buy from a Rennlister in a heartbeat. If I was selling one, Porsche people are the last place I'd look for pricing advice. Forums like this ALWAYS undervalue their cars.
+1 that's the way to do it.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:05 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ms.Greta
Well I probably shouldn't out of respect to the new owner, but if we just keep this to ourselves, it sold for $63,995 (2004 with 55k miles, fully loaded, original sticker was $100k, and included CPO). The dealer up here said he is actually buying up cars from around the country at those low prices and bringing them up here because he has a shortage of cars! If anyone wants a contact name, pm me. I am quite pleased. I'll be back to visit and show you pics of my new Turbo. Meanwhile, don't sell out too low guys!
Greta,

Based on what the asking/selling prices for 4S's have been, that's an incredibly great price for your car. I really think it's unrealistic for us on the East Coast to expect that kind of return, but Congratulations in any event!! and enjoy the new TT - please post pics when you get it. You've done very well.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Even state to state within the same geography can cause large variations in price. I've bought my two most recent cars in NJ because similar cars were overpriced in PA.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:29 PM
ls911
Pro

Originally Posted by TheSpeedDemon
1. Congratulations on the sale.
2. Congratulations on getting closer to your TT.
3. Now if the new buyer of your 996 shows-up here, we are of course going to tell them they paid too much
4. To the buyer - what were you thinking (must also work at Starbucks, or Microsoft, or Boeing)

It is nice to see things selling on the high end for a change
Old 03-08-2008, 07:05 PM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the sale.....you are very very lucky and remind me never to buy a car in that area of the USA...
It would never ever happen here in the SE USA anytime soon, the mkt is below flat and the auction price is very close to selling price here, great for buyers, terrible for sellers.....and that is why I am saving $$$ for a very low mileage used TT in the 50k range or less. There are many many here available.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:12 PM
uberskier
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Maybe when I pick up my '02 C4S in Kentucky in another week or two I should drive it to the northwest (instead of driving it home to NY), flip it and get an even better car???
Old 03-08-2008, 09:01 PM
Ms.Greta
Instructor

Originally Posted by uberskier
Maybe when I pick up my '02 C4S in Kentucky in another week or two I should drive it to the northwest (instead of driving it home to NY), flip it and get an even better car???
Good idea! It took me 57 days to sell. January was a bust - horrible weather up here but things are hopping up here now.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:05 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ms.Greta
Good idea! It took me 57 days to sell. January was a bust - horrible weather up here but things are hopping up here now.
YOUV'E had horrible weather?? Bahahahahahha!
Old 03-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Ms.Greta
Instructor

Originally Posted by dresler
YOUV'E had horrible weather?? Bahahahahahha!
You are right, I should put that in perspective to other parts of the country- huh? It is a beautiful 60 degree sunny day today - perfect for a drive (too bad I don't have a Pcar now!)

Quick Reply: C4S SOLD!!! Forgive me, but I TOLD YOU SO!!!