996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Should I panic and trade in the 996?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 10:50 PM
JJB236
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I panic and trade in the 996?

I don't work on the car period. I have no time. I always wanted to learn to work on cars, but it takes up too much time, even washing it. The warranty on my 996 with 28K miles has expired... Am I gambling by keeping the 996? To those who know how to work on cars is ok, but for me... I don't know. In spite of how reliable Porsches are, is it a bad idea to keep it?

And so the following
Dilemma:

1) Keep my 01 C2 coupe 996 tiptronic 28k miles out-of-warranty then get a BMW 650i. Had 996 for over 5+ years. I own another 4-door sedan DD.

2) Trade in the out-of-warranty 996 to a brand new 2008 black/black 997 C2 S, which will lower the lease payment substantially

3) Trade in the out-of-warranty 996 to a BMW M6

4) Trade in the out-of-warranty 996 to a BMW 650 and save money for 997

Having owned the 996 all these time, I sorta lost the excitement on the 996. Is it just me? I think there was a post on this topic. But... the 997 test drive changed my mind. The new 997 was totally different, but at 6'2", there is still the issue of size no matter how stunning 997 looks. I want a bigger car that will look good on me proportionately. I think I will miss the 911 (996 or 997) once I trade it in for either the 650 or M6. And so thought about keeping the 996, but the darn thing is out of warranty. How reliable is 996? Is it okay to keep it or am I gambling by keeping a out-of-warranty 996? If so, then I am definitely trading it in for 997 or BMW.

Help me decide... 1, 2, 3, or 4?
Old 03-06-2008, 11:13 PM
exlondoner
Racer

Originally Posted by JJB236
I don't work on the car period. I have no time. I always wanted to learn to work on cars, but it takes up too much time, even washing it. The warranty on my 996 with 28K miles has expired... Am I gambling by keeping the 996? To those who know how to work on cars is ok, but for me... I don't know. In spite of how reliable Porsches are, is it a bad idea to keep it?

And so the following
Dilemma:

1) Keep my 01 C2 coupe 996 tiptronic 28k miles out-of-warranty then get a BMW 650i. Had 996 for over 5+ years. I own another 4-door sedan DD.

2) Trade in the out-of-warranty 996 to a brand new 2008 black/black 997 C2 S, which will lower the lease payment substantially

Having owned the 996 all these time, I sorta lost the excitement on the 996. Is it just me? I think there was a post on this topic. But... the 997 test drive changed my mind. The new 997 was totally different, but at 6'2", there is still the issue of size no matter how stunning 997 looks. I want a bigger car that will look good on me proportionately. I think I will miss the 911 (996 or 997) once I trade it in for either the 650 or M6. And so thought about keeping the 996, but the darn thing is out of warranty. How reliable is 996? Is it okay to keep it or am I gambling by keeping a out-of-warranty 996? If so, then I am definitely trading it in for 997 or BMW.

Well that's a hell of a lot of scenarios there to spin my head around .....

Your saying that you don't have any exp on in working on cars so I suppose that could be con right there, but seriously it doesn't mean you need to hop into a new car, or should you as you seem bored of your 996?

I'll let someone who has perhaps been down the same path jump in with some advice, but on a personal note I LOVE my 996 and would honestly never swap it with anything as of now due to all the time and mods to come.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:21 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And so the following
Dilemma:

What up, dog?

650 is out. It's a fuqin boat of a car that's boring to drive. It's got all the nice luxury/convenience items, but that's about it. Save it for all the OC wifeys who hit up the salon all day.

So if in your shoes, it's the M6 or 997S. I personally like the M6 and M cars in general. The hs nerds who tuck in their t-shirts into their jeans and think sandals go great with sox will b!tch about its weight and size and go rah rah 911. For me, I understand that the M6 offers things the 911 will never give you which is size, comfort and luxury. Vice versa, the M6 will never have the lithe handling and timeless character of the 911.

What do you want? The M6 is Breitling and the 911 is the Rolex. The Breitling is big, brash and an eye catcher. The 911 is a classic that's smaller w/ quality in and out. I could totally see myself being happy with an ACS-kitted M6 slammed on 21s just as I could be happy in a factory aerokitted 997S slammed on 20s.

Both are siq cars. Let us know what you decide. Definitely ditch the automatic 996. Lame.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:59 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm always surprised that these decisions seem so hard that advice has to be sought from others.

If you're worried/concerned about your Porsche being out of warranty, then sell/trade it simply for the peace of mind it will bring you.

As for what to buy, why is so difficult to decide what to purchase? Decide what's important to you, then compare the candidates and choose the one that most closely meets your needs and/or your desires.

Good luck, and whatever you do, enjoy the journey!

P.S. The title of your post is very telling: "Should I panic....?" The answer is that there's really no need to panic. And if you can't stave off feelings of panic, don't make a decision until the panic subsides. You'll make better decisions that way.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:06 AM
smankow
Pro

what about option #5 - purchase an extended warranty

not that I'm necessarily a fan of these, but it's certainly a much less expensive option than the first 4 choices.

Steve
Old 03-07-2008, 12:11 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by VGM911
I'm always surprised that these decisions seem so hard that advice has to be sought from others.

If you're worried/concerned about your Porsche being out of warranty, then sell/trade it simply for the peace of mind it will bring you.

As for what to buy, why is so difficult to decide what to purchase? Decide what's important to you, then compare the candidates and choose the one that most closely meets your needs and/or your desires.

P.S. The title of your post is very telling: "Should I panic....?" The answer is that there's really no need to panic. And if you can't stave off feelings of panic, don't make a decision until the panic subsides. You'll make better decisions that way.
I think it's totally cool JBiggie would come to us and ask for advice. I'm pretty sure he ain't panicking, but within this context, he's playing it more tongue in cheek. I think you actually gotta take it easy and not assume this guy's waking up in a cold sweat at nights anticipating the point at which he must make this oh so very important life decision.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:16 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What I really think he should do is insert a full-size picture of his avatar into his profile. I feel cheated by only being able to see such a small image of that woman.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:19 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

LOL!
Old 03-07-2008, 12:20 AM
JJB236
Racer

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
What up, dog?

650 is out. It's a fuqin boat of a car that's boring to drive. It's got all the nice luxury/convenience items, but that's about it. Save it for all the OC wifeys who hit up the salon all day.

So if in your shoes, it's the M6 or 997S. I personally like the M6 and M cars in general. The hs nerds who tuck in their t-shirts into their jeans and think sandals go great with sox will b!tch about its weight and size and go rah rah 911. For me, I understand that the M6 offers things the 911 will never give you which is size, comfort and luxury. Vice versa, the M6 will never have the lithe handling and timeless character of the 911.

What do you want? The M6 is Breitling and the 911 is the Rolex. The Breitling is big, brash and an eye catcher. The 911 is a classic that's smaller w/ quality in and out. I could totally see myself being happy with an ACS-kitted M6 slammed on 21s just as I could be happy in a factory aerokitted 997S slammed on 20s.

Both are siq cars. Let us know what you decide. Definitely ditch the automatic 996. Lame.
Hey, what up? New avatar after all these posts? Who's that girl on the far right... with the long legs. Do you have a bigger pic? Hmmm I wonder what the title of the pic is...

Hey, is your car under warranty? So how reliable are our cars? My 198K mile Benz has been pretty reliable ove the 16 years with average repair being $300 to $1,000, but what about those with 996 with higher mileage? Up until 28K miles, all that I had to ever put in was the cost of the two rear tires and $600 major service at 15k miles. So far so good, but are there any major repairs to look out for on a 01?

I hear ya. So rather than having both blah 650 and tip 996, get the beast, M6. I think it's a little poserly and an overkill, but I'm still considering. In the Forbes showdown on 997 Turbo vs M6, guess who won. Approx 60% votes went to the 997 Turbo. But then again, votes are probably from those who are just looking at the pictures, and not real buyers.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:34 AM
JJB236
Racer

Originally Posted by VGM911

Alright, so I hear the similar comments from my siblings too. Get what you want, etc, etc. But there are unknown variables here which is the core question of this post.

Don't interpret everything at its face value. We are all car fanatics, and we're having fun talking about cars. The word "panic" got you to read this post, didn't it. Believe me, I'm sipping Single malt Scotch whiskey with a Cuban cigar as I write this and going out to dinner in 5. Dudes in this forum who can afford to buy 911 will hardly panic with a few thousand repair bill, and I certainly ain't one of em.

Appreciate your concern though

Cheers.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:36 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Did I win?

-td
Old 03-07-2008, 12:37 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Hey, what up? New avatar after all these posts? Who's that girl on the far right... with the long legs. Do you have a bigger pic? Hmmm I wonder what the title of the pic is...

Hey, is your car under warranty? So how reliable are our cars? My 198K mile Benz has been pretty reliable ove the 16 years with average repair being $300 to $1,000, but what about those with 996 with higher mileage? Up until 28K miles, all that I had to ever put in was the cost of the two rear tires and $600 major service at 15k miles. So far so good, but are there any major repairs to look out for on a 01?

I hear ya. So rather than having both blah 650 and tip 996, get the beast, M6. I think it's a little poserly and an overkill, but I'm still considering. In the Forbes showdown on 997 Turbo vs M6, guess who won. Approx 60% votes went to the 997 Turbo. But then again, votes are probably from those who are just looking at the pictures, and not real buyers.
haha yea i got plenty o' pics on the laptop. that was taken in the cabana suite at Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel back in October. i took up the one right in the corner. perfect. Daddy Long legs is Emma.

Not sure why you're afraid of looking like a poser when you live in poser kingdom LA. if the m6 is posing, your auto 911 is .... I love that place, though. nothing but love for it. to live and die in LA. and yea i got that warranty up to 80K miles. i plan on keeping this one at least until then or 3 years from now.

go get at that LA tail, baby boy. you'll come out stronger and better after all this.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:53 AM
Duane993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With 28K on the clock, your 996 appears to out of the danger zone of something really radical going wrong with if you plan to buy out the lease at the end and keep it for a long period of time. However if you're leasing anyway, the whole idea is to get a new car every 4 or 5 years. Why not trade it in for a new 997S with lower lease payments, new up to date performance/looks and a new warranty. Bottom line sounds like you prefer a the latest and best with the least amount of hassle and are willing to take on a new lease payment commitment to get it. You're also in LA were only the great unwashed masses drive cars that are over 3 year old.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:10 AM
ls911
Pro

Alright, so I hear the similar comments from my siblings too. Get what you want, etc, etc. But there are unknown variables here which is the core question of this post.

Don't interpret everything at its face value. We are all car fanatics, and we're having fun talking about cars. The word "panic" got you to read this post, didn't it. Believe me, I'm sipping Single malt Scotch whiskey with a Cuban cigar as I write this and going out to dinner in 5. Dudes in this forum who can afford to buy 911 will hardly panic with a few thousand repair bill, and I certainly ain't one of em.

Appreciate your concern though

Cheers.

Aren't you that one financing high roller that's broke A$$ can't make up his mind asking the same thing all over again guy?

If so, I choose numero cinco

-Set the out-of-warranty 28K miles 996 on fire before she blows, collect the insurance. Bling out the 198k mile MB, get you some moe fine liquor and have another cuban cig on me.

Presto, finito
Old 03-07-2008, 05:00 AM
wa2go
Track Day

Talking

...But there are unknown variables here which is the core question of this post.
Hmmm... so the guy who sits in his car every day says there are unknown variables, and so he is asking all of those people who DON'T sit in his car every day to look into their crystal ***** and tell him what those unknown variables hold for the future of his car. What's wrong with this picture?

Methinks if the man in the mirror can't tell him, he should find a trusty and straightshooting mechanic and pay him to give the car a thorough inspection and provide an opinion based on fact and not guesswork or personal opinion.

Alternatively, when polling the list, a question that would provide a lot of good relevant info might go something like this: If you have the same car I have, and you drive it the same way I do, then please tell me how much money you spent on items other than routine maintenance between the time your odometer reached <my current odometer reading> and the time it reached <odometer reading at which I plan to sell the car no matter what>, and tell me what those non-routine maintenance items were and when they were needed.

That would at least give you some statistically relevant answers, although still subject to the variability that comes from the fact that no two cars, drivers, and car driving and maintenance histories are 100% identical.

If you need other people to tell you what you should buy, then please allow me to tell you to buy a lightly used F430 or a brand new 997 GT3 or a twin turbo, and then let me drive it once in a while in exchange for giving you the good advice. :-)

-wa2go - probable future GT3 owner trying to decide between 996 and 997, but deciding based on personal test drives not OPO (other people's opinions)

Quick Reply: Should I panic and trade in the 996?