996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Parrot CK3000 Evolution vs Motorola IHF1000

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008 | 07:55 PM
Bruce AJ
Intermediate

Default Parrot CK3000 Evolution vs Motorola IHF1000

I'm going to install a bluetooth kit in my '99, and I'm not sure which one of these models to get please give me your opinions. I'm primarily interested in tech plusses or minuses and not so much aesthetics. For example if you have any info regarding voice recognition, mic performance, Becker compatibility, ease of install etc.

Bruce
Old 02-28-2008 | 09:02 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

I'm very happy with the Moto HF1000. Great voice recognition, audible caller ID, integration into the Becker CDR23 radio. I placed the mic on the ceiling near the sunroof button and it works great and looks almost factory. Install took about 1hr, but I had to order the $17 cable from becker to be able to use the car's speaker for the phone. I also found it for $69 (new in box) online from a clearance center...so look around. I think the Parrot is more sophisticated, but for the price I paid, you can't beat the value.
Click on my signature to go to my renntech page with more photos and details.
Attached Images   
Old 02-28-2008 | 09:09 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

I have the CK3000 in my ML430 and the CK3100 (w/ display for caller ID, etc) in my C4S. Both have been great units. They're clear and sound clear on the speakers.

One thing to note if you're installing yourself: Mic placement is important. In our SUV, I moved the mic from the top of the steering column to the A-pillar and the difference was very noticeable.

I put my CK3100's control unit same as where pongobaz put his, on the "batwing." I put the mic on my C4S's steering column.
Old 02-28-2008 | 09:13 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

+1 on putting the mic on the A-pillar/roof area. That's where I've had the best luck.
Old 02-29-2008 | 08:59 PM
krisd
Instructor

I have the HF1000 with almost the exact set up as above except I have a convertible. With the top up it works great. With the top down you can get a lot of wind noise on the other end of the call so I just switch to the phone for those calls. I have had mine installed for about 3 years now and am very happy with it. I also use the speakers in the car along with the aux input for my iPod.

I don't see a need for a display like the Parrott systems have since the caller ID will announce incoming calls on the audio system (ie. "Call from 415-555-1234" or "Call from Jim Jones" if the number is saved in speed dial).

I generally just use the speed dial on my phone when dialing and it will automatically switch to the Bluetooth connection once the phone dials.

Kris
Old 03-01-2008 | 07:55 AM
Bruce AJ
Intermediate

Thanks for the responses. I was planning to buy a tip steering wheel and use the switches to make and end calls with one of them. I was leaning toward the using the motorola module, mainly because the IHF has the spoken caller ID.

I had a lead on a 3 spoke tip wheel for $250 so I was going to head down that route then the $250 turned into $900 so I'm probably going to bag that approach and use the IHF and their keypad. I like Phil's install even if the IHF finish is chrome, with a bright blue light, which makes it look like an add on.

I'm going to check with the dealer on Monday to see what they get for a steering wheel and airbag before I make my decision and go for it.

Thanks,
Bruce
Old 03-01-2008 | 12:33 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bruce AJ
I like Phil's install even if the IHF finish is chrome, with a bright blue light, which makes it look like an add on.
I'm actually thinking of painting the chrome part to match the black plastic. I have another control unit from a Motorola HF850 that I had previously that I can use as a guinea pig to try that out.
Old 03-01-2008 | 01:41 PM
Bruce AJ
Intermediate

let me know how the painting works, I'm thinking of doing the same
Old 03-09-2008 | 11:22 AM
Bruce AJ
Intermediate

I bought the Motorola kit and have two questions(so far) for anyone that has installed one:

1. Where did you mount the blue control unit( I've removed the stereo and lower storage bins but nothing obvious yet, next the passenger footwell underside cover)
2. How does the roof console plastic come off (I'm going to mount the mic up there)

Thanks in Advance,
Bruce
Old 03-09-2008 | 01:18 PM
mrgroove
Advanced

Here's a link to a pic of a CK3000 Parrot which I mounted to look as factory as possible. The Black and Grey of the device actually blended in really well with the console. I just removed one of the blank switches and moulded the mounting plate of the CK3000 to a tight fit and pushed it in place - voila! Had some sound quality issues with caller hearing me me but after moving the mic to the roof by the rear view mirror improved it somewhat!
Check it out:
http://picasaweb.google.com/karlgrove/CK3000Bluetooth
Old 03-09-2008 | 01:28 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bruce AJ
I bought the Motorola kit and have two questions(so far) for anyone that has installed one:

1. Where did you mount the blue control unit( I've removed the stereo and lower storage bins but nothing obvious yet, next the passenger footwell underside cover)
2. How does the roof console plastic come off (I'm going to mount the mic up there)

Thanks in Advance,
Bruce
1. I put mine behind the glovebox. Just remove the passenger footwell upper cover (3 plastic screws, I think) and you'll find plenty of room.

2. No need to remove it. I was able to snake the mic wire around the a-pillar and to the front of the headliner without removing a thing. Just use a trim awl (blunt the tip, though) and you can press the wire behind all the trim. I then used some velcro to fasten the mic in place). Make sure you orient it correctly (as per the directions) or else your callers will find you sounding very distant.
Old 03-09-2008 | 01:50 PM
Bruce AJ
Intermediate

thanks for the replies,

I've got a '99 (no glove box) but I removed the cover on the bottom and found a nook I think I can use. I may even attach it to the vent system( I think that's what it is), silicone the mounting screws well and cover it up using the original cover. I think the extra space for the glove box partly came out of the ventilation system. It's packed there too.

Was figuring I'd have to remove all of the panels, glad to hear you can just push the wires behind them.

Bruce
Old 03-09-2008 | 09:58 PM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

I had mine installed a couple of years ago and it would not "marry" my fourth consecutive device. Parrot was not helpful nor was the phone manufacturer.
Turned out, after the memory was full and neaded purging. (Press both left and right buttons for a few seconds.)
Old 03-10-2008 | 03:38 PM
Bruce AJ
Intermediate

The phone kit I got from Becker instructs me to use pin3 of Socket A for the Telephone Mute. I was assuning it would be empty like the phone inputs I'm using.

My car has a yellow wire already there, does anyone know what it is?

Bruce
Old 03-11-2008 | 07:26 PM
mrgroove
Advanced

Yep, it's the telephone mute... there are some wiring diagrams around. DAS on here and Renntech. However, don't even bother removing it. The Parrot device I fitted didn't even use the end of the Becker kit!!! I installed it and spent an hour trying to remove the stock pin (yellow/Blk wire) so I could put the becker one in it's place!! Don't use it. The Parrot CK3000 I installed doesn't use it and all of the necessary wiring changes are taken care of using the ISO connectors in the Bluetooth kit!
http://picasaweb.google.com/karlgrove/CK3000Bluetooth

Quick Reply: Parrot CK3000 Evolution vs Motorola IHF1000