996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

OK, I am now in Dallas!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008 | 05:26 PM
apterr
Racer

Hey Tim,
Best wishes for your continued success...this time in Texas. I drove through Charlotte on Friday. Didn't realize you were in Dallas already. Was thinking about checking to see if you were on-line but it was only 4 hours into our trip home and had to make some time. Glad to hear your trip went well. Having lived in Texas in the early 80's and then visiting a few times since be sure to take a trip to San Antonio when your wife joins you there. The riverwalk is one of the nicest places in all of Texas. Good luck,
Andy T

Last edited by apterr; 02-24-2008 at 05:30 PM. Reason: punctuation,
Old 02-24-2008 | 05:54 PM
omnipresent
Racer

Originally Posted by htny
austin is definitely in the lead for warm winters, and one of my good friends from back home owns a very nice nightclub there as well. Only thing that worries me is the summers, my blood's too thick for all those 100+ degree days.

Just do your exercizing before 10a or after 8p - really not that bad, and I don't like the heat!

I'd live in LA or San Diego near full time if it weren't for the time zone and the taxes, NY full time if I hadn't been there since 1980 and the weather wasn't so terrible (and the taxes).

Not to mention cost of living and the people!!! (sorry anyone from Cali.)

Texas seems ideal being in the middle physically (with cheap, shorter flights to either coast). Is there anyplace in Texas that's cosmopolitan and has good weather for 9+ months?
Austin really fits that bill..go to weather.com and type Austin, Texas in the search and scan the page till you find a link to median annual temps. The hills, the water, the women, the school, the overall demeanor of the whole city - really can't be beat (in Texas). FWIW, my other fave. cities in U.S. are San Fran, Chicago, Atlanta and Breckenridge - so, I'm not just being a Texas homer here!
Old 02-24-2008 | 06:03 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

+1 for the music scene in Austin!
Old 02-24-2008 | 08:13 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
Them Texans think BBQ is all about dark brown sauce with beef brisket swimming in it.
You want great BBQ, go to Memphis - best I've ever had! Never been to Texas in my life, so I wouldn't know.

On another note, notice that my S4 is headed out. It's a long story, but I've ordered a new Audi TT Roadster to replace it. The S4 doesn't even have as many miles as the Porsche does!
Old 02-24-2008 | 08:26 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Phil G.
You want great BBQ, go to Memphis - best I've ever had! Never been to Texas in my life, so I wouldn't know.

On another note, notice that my S4 is headed out. It's a long story, but I've ordered a new Audi TT Roadster to replace it. The S4 doesn't even have as many miles as the Porsche does!
Oh yes, I've got to agree that Texas BBQ is way better than the vinegar based Carolina BBQ. I was a little unimpressed when I got my BBQ pork in NC.
Old 02-25-2008 | 01:05 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by apterr
Hey Tim,
Best wishes for your continued success...this time in Texas. I drove through Charlotte on Friday. Didn't realize you were in Dallas already. Was thinking about checking to see if you were on-line but it was only 4 hours into our trip home and had to make some time. Glad to hear your trip went well. Having lived in Texas in the early 80's and then visiting a few times since be sure to take a trip to San Antonio when your wife joins you there. The riverwalk is one of the nicest places in all of Texas. Good luck,
Andy T
Andy,

Thanks for the best wishes.

Yes, the Riverwalk is very nice. We lived in San Antonio for over 25 years so we are very familiar with teh city. My wife and I both have family in SA.
Old 02-25-2008 | 05:41 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Tim you (as always) disappointed me!......NO speeding tickets???? WTF....cruise control??? And making fun of my tip eh! Well at least I got speeding tickets! LOL

Anyways...have a great time in Dallas...get a cowboy hat and a GUN (get a horse once you lease is up) and post images of your new home (I mean ofcourse the part where you P is parked)
Old 02-25-2008 | 09:17 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Hey Tim...Welcome to Big D! Will be in touch for lunch.
Old 02-25-2008 | 09:40 AM
Bucket_hat_Loren
Instructor

Good luck! I have an office in Irving. The 4 Seasons Las Colinas has a great gym and they just did a ton of work to their golf course, if you are looking to join a place...
Old 02-25-2008 | 05:59 PM
88911coupe
Racer

Welcome to Dallas...what general area are you in? Uptown in hard to beat but we are just north of there in an older part of town called the Park Cities. Lot's of older homes getting torn down at a frantic pace. There are also some VERY cool high rises like The W, Ritz Carlton, etc. Traffic can be horrendous, depending on which direction you are going at what time of day, in particular in/out of the outlying suburbs. You've noticed our aggressive drivers, eh? I have friends come here from LA and say WE scare THEM. Someone asked about cosmopolitan cities in Texas...Dallas is really working on it with more "in town", urban development and the food scene has taken off in the last 10-15 years, not that it was ever bad.
Also, you'll see a lot fewer cowboy hats that many would expect...usually worn by tourists! :-)).
Old 02-25-2008 | 06:44 PM
omnipresent
Racer

Cowboy hats!! HA!! I've got some property in Aubrey NW of Dallas about 45 miles and whats always funny to me is when I'm out there how drastically different demographics are compared to being "in the loop". I agree Dallas has really stepped up urban development and has had a recent influx of more "cosmo" oriented business
Old 02-25-2008 | 07:00 PM
88911coupe
Racer

Not a whole of of people in Dallas actually FROM Dallas, or Texas for that matter...not to imply anything wrong with "locals"...I married one of the few local Dallas girls I even know. Although she is an Aggie, so we are working through that!
Old 02-25-2008 | 07:05 PM
omnipresent
Racer

Originally Posted by 88911coupe
Not a whole of of people in Dallas actually FROM Dallas, or Texas for that matter...not to imply anything wrong with "locals"...I married one of the few local Dallas girls I even know. Although she is an Aggie, so we are working through that!
One good thing about being married to Aggy (sic) is they probably went through college without much attention from those sheep humpers down there! \m/ HOOK EM
Old 02-25-2008 | 07:17 PM
67FJ45
Pro

Cool

Welcome (back) to Texas. As we in Austin are fond of saying, "we've got room enough for just about everybody." Friendliest place I've lived. Heck, my wife even loves it, and she's a born-and-bred New Yorker.

As for barbeque...generalizing about Texas barbeque is, well, just too danged general. We choose a place to go based on what we want that meal because there are so many different places, styles, specialties, and so forth. I usually look for the Shiner Bock sign out front.

Old 02-25-2008 | 10:27 PM
gr8330
Burning Brakes

Hi Tim

Quick Reply: OK, I am now in Dallas!