996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Help! Can't unplug my maf (!@###!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 12:32 PM
fastbydrmike
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Can't unplug my maf (!@###!!!)

I am replacing my airbox with the evo intake and I can not unplug my Maf out of the tube. I did a search and tried everything but I still can't unplug it. I am about to take a hammer to the piece of @#$%!!!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 02-17-2008, 01:06 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You need a security torx screw driver or socket. It has a hole in the middle of each torx screw.

To "unplug" it, simply squeeze the two buttons on either side of the unit. While doing so, rock the socket gently while pulling slightly. It should pop loose.

C.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:22 PM
bgrpph
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my 02 996 sensor wire was also hard 1st time- the clip is on the bottom portion of connection- if you turn it over it's much easier to see and unclip.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:46 PM
caf
Rennlist Member

You may have already solved your problem, but just for future reference:

I think there are at least two designs for the plug, depending on when your car was built.
The plug on my '02, has a square button on the bottom of the plug where you can't see it. To release, push upward on the button from underneath, while giving the plug a push inward towards the MAF. You can also go ahead and remove the air filter housing without removing the plug. You can then carefully turn over the whole thing with the plug attached. That allows you to actually see the release tab.

You don't need a security torx unless you are removing the MAF, although I guess that would be an alternate way of getting the thing disconnected.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:58 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You guys never read. Look at his post a little closer. He is removing the MAF to place it into an EVO intake and cannot get it out of the tube.

C.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:38 AM
caf
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chads996
You guys never read. Look at his post a little closer. He is removing the MAF to place it into an EVO intake and cannot get it out of the tube.

C.
You're right, but anyone searching on the common issue of unplugging the MAF will undoubtedly check out a thread titled "Help! Can't unplug my maf".
Old 02-18-2008, 09:55 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

C.
I still dont understand. I pushed a tab in on the connector and it pulls right off. Done this many times before removing the airbox. The two scres that hold the MAF insert in, have little to no torque on them. I used a pair of pliers to take the screws out. The insert simply pulled out, it has a large o-ring that seals it off, I dont know what possibly could be so hard about this............
Old 02-19-2008, 04:43 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fastbydrmike
I am replacing my airbox with the evo intake and I can not unplug my Maf out of the tube. I did a search and tried everything but I still can't unplug it. I am about to take a hammer to the piece of @#$%!!!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
We can't tell if the problems is unplugging the cable from the connector or removing the MAF from the inlet tube.

If you are having a problem unplugging the connector, pull back the rubber protector around the cables. Push the connector in as far as it will go. Depress the thumb tab on the connector and pull it out. Sometimes the rubber insulation blocks the tab. There is also a catch that can also prevent depressing the tab if the connector if it is not in all the way.

To remove the MAF from the air tube, use the wrench that came with the intake to remove the 2 screws. Gently rotate the MAF from side to side as you pull it out of the tube. Be careful not to hit the wires on the end. A lot of the MAF failures are caused by people damaging the wires as they pull the MAF out.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:05 PM
Patrick E
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Not to hijack this thread, but I've got a stupid question. How come when a MAF-related CEL code is triggered, everyone just replaces the MAF sensor? I mean, the sensor presumably is there to "sense" something. If a related code is triggered, why don't we assume the sensor is functioning correctly and it is indicating a problem somewhere else rather than being the problem itself?
Old 02-19-2008, 06:07 PM
pl
Drifting

C.
i was reading it as "Help can't unplug "myself"
Old 02-19-2008, 06:58 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick E
Not to hijack this thread, but I've got a stupid question. How come when a MAF-related CEL code is triggered, everyone just replaces the MAF sensor? I mean, the sensor presumably is there to "sense" something. If a related code is triggered, why don't we assume the sensor is functioning correctly and it is indicating a problem somewhere else rather than being the problem itself?

Because they don't understand the system. Just like many replace the O2 sensors when they get a related code. Even the Porsche Techs simply replace sensors rather than assuming the sensor is reporting what it should be and not that the sensor is bad.

I wonder if any replace the gas tank when the low fuel light comes on?

Anyway, it's good for the ecomony.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:41 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Regardless of how some folks read his request about unplugging the electrical wire or taking out the MaF....I learned something today. I couldn't get mine disconnected from the wiring on my 02TT to clean it, so I just used the torx to unscrew it, take it out and turned it upside down and cleaned it that way....I had a hell of a time trying to get the wire connector off....but because of the instructions given by 02 Carrera, I now know.....so do a few other folks I imagine. I was used to the disconnect on the 99 996 which came off easily...not so with the 02TT. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Help! Can't unplug my maf (!@###!!!)