Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

So I think I may have lost my only Key....

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 11:49 AM
eddiero
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nazhat
get a key with a TAG, no TAG, its useless, go to dealer, no other place, its not worth the headache and also, you will pay $$$ out the butt. Key, cut, program, etc... should be around $300 at US dealer. Good luck!
Funny thing you mentioned going through the dealer. The parts guy at my local Porsche dealer is CLUELESS! He has no idea on how to go about getting a key ordered from Porsche NA. He told me to call back at the end of next week when his parts manager gets back from vacation ..
Old 02-21-2008, 02:36 PM
porshaw
Advanced

Originally Posted by eddiero
Funny thing you mentioned going through the dealer. The parts guy at my local Porsche dealer is CLUELESS! He has no idea on how to go about getting a key ordered from Porsche NA. He told me to call back at the end of next week when his parts manager gets back from vacation ..
Thats why it was recommended twice in this thread that you give Sunset Porsche a call as they do this for Porsche owners all the time. I believe a number was even posted for you. Also, I'm not sure if its possible to save money by just using the key portion without a remote head. IIRC, there is a transponder "pill" in the remote head that communicates with the car to start the car. Without the transponder, the key can only be used to lock and unlock the car, it wont turn over. Hence, the need for the dealer to program the car to match the codes in the remote. I understand the notion of saving a few bucks here and there, especially when it seems quite rediculous to $300 for a key. However, you might be out of luck in this case due to the way keys are set up .... but I hope it works out for you.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:50 PM
eddiero
Intermediate

Originally Posted by newbie78
Thats why it was recommended twice in this thread that you give Sunset Porsche a call as they do this for Porsche owners all the time. I believe a number was even posted for you. Also, I'm not sure if its possible to save money by just using the key portion without a remote head. IIRC, there is a transponder "pill" in the remote head that communicates with the car to start the car. Without the transponder, the key can only be used to lock and unlock the car, it wont turn over. Hence, the need for the dealer to program the car to match the codes in the remote. I understand the notion of saving a few bucks here and there, especially when it seems quite rediculous to $300 for a key. However, you might be out of luck in this case due to the way keys are set up .... but I hope it works out for you.
I realize I will have to shell out some $$$ and thats cool with me. I was just thinking maybe I could get it done sooner by sticking with the local stealer. Guess not... Lesson learned.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:58 PM
porshaw
Advanced

I ordered my remote head from sunset on a wednesday morning and received it on Friday (OR to CA). They are pretty efficient. I suspect the key may take a little longer though. GL
Old 02-22-2008, 05:39 PM
eddiero
Intermediate

Originally Posted by newbie78
I ordered my remote head from sunset on a wednesday morning and received it on Friday (OR to CA). They are pretty efficient. I suspect the key may take a little longer though. GL

Suncoast will not cut me a key because it is a "sensitive" item but the parts guy was very helpfull. After several phone calls I finally got the local stealer to put in the order.

Quick Reply: So I think I may have lost my only Key....