Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   Oil Wars, Revisited!!! (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/410691-oil-wars-revisited.html)

Wellardmac 02-23-2008 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera (Post 5138284)
I can't help but feel responsible for this skirmish after reading your posts Wayne.

My intention was not to resurrect the BS which has been flying around this board for quite some time, but rather point out the possibility that the original poster (referenced in my link) could be on to something. The OP is a respected Rennlist member IMHO, and if his story is true I want to be the first to know about it. I do the oil changes on my car personally, as do many here, and I would like to know if Porsche changes their "recommendation" (“approved” or whatever you want to call it) to another oil viscosity. BTW, if Porsche uses 0w-40 as their factory fill, then that IS their recommendation.

I simply found the post interesting and thought I would give the other 996 owners a heads-up.

As I stated earlier, I use Mobil 1 0w-40 and will continue to do so until Porsche either recommends otherwise or changes to another viscosity oil in the cars leaving their factory.

Carry on Gentleman.

You're not responsible for the actions of others, although the end result was kinda predictable - it happens every time this subject is raised. I swear that at some point it's going to cause a war. :icon501:

It's good to be passionate about stuff, but sometimes you know that we're getting carried away when the name calling starts.

Ray S 02-23-2008 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Wellardmac (Post 5138475)
I swear that at some point it's going to cause a war. :icon501:

Oil war '08.......I doubt it will come to that. People here are passionate but pretty levelheaded.

http://emoticons4u.com/violent/sterb184.gifhttp://emoticons4u.com/violent/sterb260.gif

DreamCarrera 02-23-2008 01:26 PM

Oil causing a war? Never!!! HAHA

BTW, for the record I am not a proponent of the above theory.

Wellardmac 02-23-2008 01:54 PM

yeah, but nerves get frayed, the name calling starts, then people get upset. It's nice that things have calmed down again. :)

DreamCarrera 02-23-2008 02:26 PM

My reference was to the Iraq war.

Wellardmac 02-23-2008 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera (Post 5139433)
My reference was to the Iraq war.

Yeah, we were thinking the same thing. ;)

dresler 02-23-2008 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Wellardmac (Post 5139326)
yeah, but nerves get frayed, the name calling starts, then people get upset. It's nice that things have calmed down again. :)

Someone got upset? who got upset? Lemme at'em!
:)

grantq 02-24-2008 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911 (Post 5134408)
I interprete that statement as stating it is a "compromise" oil. :)

dictionary.com defines "unsurpassed" as "not capable of being improved on". If you you interpret that word as "compromise" then we have a huge language barrier between us.

I don't do remedial. You can choose to accept the marketting description or you can take the initiative and educate yourself on what the specs of each oil mean.
Blackness & I, as oil ignoramuses with open minds, are simply asking you to explain how you've come to the conclusion that "The approved oil companies state that the 5W50 is better at higher temps and loads."

I only quoted the "marketting description" because you give me the links ostensibly to support your theory.

If you are going to justify using one oil over the other by highlighting a few words from the description, why not these words?
No one's trying to justify anything. All I wanted was to understand your thinking.

Now that I know that explanations are beneath you, i'll let the subject drop and listen to others. Thank you.

1999Porsche911 02-24-2008 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by grantq (Post 5143445)
dictionary.com defines "unsurpassed" as "not capable of being improved on". If you you interpret that word as "compromise" then we have a huge language barrier between us.

Blackness & I, as oil ignoramuses with open minds, are simply asking you to explain how you've come to the conclusion that "The approved oil companies state that the 5W50 is better at higher temps and loads."

I only quoted the "marketting description" because you give me the links ostensibly to support your theory.

No one's trying to justify anything. All I wanted was to understand your thinking.

Now that I know that explanations are beneath you, i'll let the subject drop and listen to others. Thank you.

"Unsurpassed" in what? It is NOT unsurpassed in protection. It is NOT unsurpassed in fuel savings. It is unsurpassed in protection AND fuel savings. Therefore, it is a compromise.

If, in fact it WAS how you interpreted it to be, there would be absolutely no reason for Exxon/Mobil to manufacture any other type of oil.

VGM911 02-24-2008 09:38 PM

So...who else considers 159 posts to be sufficient on this matter?

Wellardmac 02-24-2008 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by VGM911 (Post 5143560)
So...who else considers 159 posts to be sufficient on this matter?

yup, some people just love to see their own posts. :to_order:

1999Porsche911 02-24-2008 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Wellardmac (Post 5143654)
yup, some people just love to see their own posts. :to_order:

Yup, much like yourself who has NEVER contributed anything worthwhile to this forum. Why not address the technical issues I raised with something other than "your wrong" or Porsche knows best"? Or, if your have no knowledge of the subject as it appears, go back to responding to the social topics you like so much and stop wastiing bandwidth here. :banghead:

Wellardmac 02-24-2008 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911 (Post 5143745)
Yup, much like yourself who has NEVER contributed anything worthwhile to this forum. Why not address the technical issues I raised with something other than "your wrong" or Porsche knows best"? Or, if your have no knowledge of the subject as it appears, go back to responding to the social topics you like so much and stop wastiing bandwidth here. :banghead:

...and you wonder why people call you names?

1999Porsche911 02-24-2008 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Wellardmac (Post 5143771)
...and you wonder why people call you names?

No. Actually I have never wondered that. Your kind are very predictable and it provides for entertainment. It's always the one's who have the least knowledge and feel threatened by those whose opinions do not match their own. Reminds be of the playground that most of us moved on from when we became adults.

It's always predictable which ones won't be able to keep from responding too. Please prove me wrong. :jumper:

cdodkin 02-25-2008 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911 (Post 5143840)
No. Actually I have never wondered that. Your kind are very predictable and it provides for entertainment. It's always the one's who have the least knowledge and feel threatened by those whose opinions do not match their own. Reminds be of the playground that most of us moved on from when we became adults.

It's always predictable which ones won't be able to keep from responding too. Please prove me wrong. :jumper:

I see you're still avoiding the difficult questions, failing to provide any evidence to back you statements on oil weights, and working hard to try and deflect attention from those 'challenging' issues for which you appear to have no answers.

Where is the evidence to back your stance on the unsuitability of Mobil1 0W40 for the M96 engine?