What is an overev?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 11:34 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by hwk72
Or even worse from "3" to "R" while moving forward.
OUCH! That would be nasty!!!!
Old 03-07-2008, 08:16 AM
manzski
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm buying an 03 turbo with a report of 114 ignitions in level 2 over rev. The pre-buy inspection from a qualified Porsche dealer was fine other than this report. Should I be overly concerned?
Old 03-07-2008, 03:48 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

That may only have been 1 missed shift.

As far as I am concerned when purchasing a used car, 1 level 2 is enough. Even if the engine shows no ill effects, it is a possible symptom for other abuses, lack of care, or of the car being badly driven. I'd walk away from it.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:40 AM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

My previous 993 and current 996 both cut out at around the redline, I am wondering how it is possible to get to these high revs?
Old 03-12-2008, 01:54 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

What exactly are the two(2) over-rev ranges for the 996? I have seen the 6 ranges for the 997, with their corresponding RPM ranges, posted many times. However, I do not recall seeing a post which listed the 2 ranges for the 996/986 engines.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:41 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
However, I do not recall seeing a post which listed the 2 ranges for the 996/986 engines.
They exist and it is real... level 1 is ok, level 2 will likely disqualify your warrenty
Old 03-12-2008, 04:11 AM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by redridge
They exist and it is real... level 1 is ok, level 2 will likely disqualify your warrenty
+1. Type 1 is a bump against the rev limiter and measure "ignitions". Purely harmless, but does indicate to the mechanic just how "hard" the car has been driven around redline. A Type 2 indicates that the rev limiter (or throttle cut-off of the gasoline) could not contain/limit a high-RPM experience... By high RPM, I mean several thousand RPMs above redline. This is usually caused by so-called "money shifts" - 5th gear to 2nd gear (missing 4th). Personally, I would avoid ANY car with a Type 2 overrev. The car might still be running, but the engine did suffer abuse and is more likely to have problems over time. (Plenty of threads on this if you search)

For those looking to buy 996s or 997s, I would recommend buying the $250 USB Durametrics ECU reader. Plugging into the OBDII connector in the driver's footwell with this "dongle" connected to your laptop will give you plenty of information on the car. It is fun to go plug it into cars on the showroom floor... I call it a cheap Pre-PPI...

Oh - and for those interested in 997s. Porsche got "smart" and decided to add a level of subjectivity to help void warranties for abuse. The 6 ranges tracked on the 997 start well below red-line. This lets them see how hard you run the car BELOW the rev limiter so that they can cite patterns of abuse.

Big brother is watching... I guess the only upside is for those looking to buy a used 997. At least we can transparently see how hard the car was driven based on the tracked data....

-Blake
Old 03-12-2008, 03:08 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

Originally Posted by Bijan
My previous 993 and current 996 both cut out at around the redline, I am wondering how it is possible to get to these high revs?
The higher revs come from "mechanical" over revs. The wheels are spinning and drive the transmission through a low gear to cause the motor to spin over it's rev limit. These over revs are not caused by fuel and ignition but rather by mechanical drive from the wheels. Make sense?
Old 03-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Speedster
Big brother is watching... I guess the only upside is for those looking to buy a used 997. At least we can transparently see how hard the car was driven based on the tracked data....

-Blake
Wow. Did not know this. What's constituted as abuse? For all this scientific data gathered, it seems the conclusions are highly subjective. Let's say I redline my car every time I drive the thing... is this abuse?

Let's say I rarely redline the car... is this "abuse"? fun stuff to think thru.

btw, i always slightly pause in neutral and use the proper shifting hand position to minimize margin for error. it would suck to type 2 over rev!
Old 03-12-2008, 05:23 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Originally Posted by redridge
I never questioned the fact that there are indeed over-rev ranges for the 996.

I am aware of the fact that they exist, I believe most of us here are aware that there are over-rev ranges. My question was: What are the numerical values of the 2 over-rev ranges for the 996?

I have seen the ranges posted many times for the 997 but I cannot recall seeing the ranges listed for the 996. Does anyone know what they are?
Old 03-12-2008, 05:36 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Originally Posted by 94Speedster
+1. Type 1 is a bump against the rev limiter and measure "ignitions". Purely harmless, but does indicate to the mechanic just how "hard" the car has been driven around redline. A Type 2 indicates that the rev limiter (or throttle cut-off of the gasoline) could not contain/limit a high-RPM experience... By high RPM, I mean several thousand RPMs above redline. This is usually caused by so-called "money shifts" - 5th gear to 2nd gear (missing 4th). Personally, I would avoid ANY car with a Type 2 overrev. The car might still be running, but the engine did suffer abuse and is more likely to have problems over time. (Plenty of threads on this if you search)

For those looking to buy 996s or 997s, I would recommend buying the $250 USB Durametrics ECU reader. Plugging into the OBDII connector in the driver's footwell with this "dongle" connected to your laptop will give you plenty of information on the car. It is fun to go plug it into cars on the showroom floor... I call it a cheap Pre-PPI...

Oh - and for those interested in 997s. Porsche got "smart" and decided to add a level of subjectivity to help void warranties for abuse. The 6 ranges tracked on the 997 start well below red-line. This lets them see how hard you run the car BELOW the rev limiter so that they can cite patterns of abuse.

-Blake
So you are saying that a type 2 over-rev does not occur until you have exceeded the redline by several thousand RPM? I find this hard to believe.

That is very interesting info. about the 997s data acquisition. Thanks.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:06 PM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

Thank you UCrazyKid got it.
So is there demerit points when going up in gears and we hit the "ignition" type cut out only?
Old 03-12-2008, 08:25 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

The 996 (unlike the 997) records types of over rev, not ranges. That is why you haven't seen ranges reported.

With the 996 the over rev types (1 and 2) refer to HOW the over rev occurred:
1 - throttle incurred over rev
2 - mechanical over rev. (as defined above)

type 1 will not cause damage, that is why the fuel cut off exists prior to the point where damage will occur.
type 2 can go from no damage (unlikely) to mild (float the valves) to severe damage (break a rod)

I do not believe that the 996 keeps such detailed tattle info on the type 1 over rev as the 997. (i.e. no demerits) It just counts how many times it has occurred (not sure if it counts how many ignitions occurred during, i.e. how long)
Old 03-13-2008, 12:09 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Check out this link

Over Revs
Old 03-13-2008, 01:55 AM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
I do not believe that the 996 keeps such detailed tattle info on the type 1 over rev as the 997. (i.e. no demerits) It just counts how many times it has occurred (not sure if it counts how many ignitions occurred during, i.e. how long)
Correct. It counts ignitions over how ever long the rev limiter is being touched. One can read this number with the Durametric Tool or the Porsche Diagnostic tool (can't remeber acronym). The Porsche Diasnostic Tool can reset the data to zero from memory, but the Durametric Tool can not...

-Blake

Quick Reply: What is an overev?