Sponsored by:

reasonable shop to program key

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 09:53 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right, definitely a "procount"! lol!

I'd call all the local dealerships. None of my local dealers charge the same price for anything.

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
Wow! That must be an reverse discount. I have to replace one of my keys as the transmitter went bad. The key was less than $200 and it was only half an hour of labor to program it. Granted I did get a discount, but even at full pop It would not have been over $350.

Additional info:

It was actually cheaper than I stated earlier. The key head was $112.71 (it is $132.60 retail) and it was $64 for the 1/2 hour labor. My total was $191.29 with tax. If I were Achillies, I would be having a serious discussion with that service department.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:51 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by apterr
I had the opportunity to visit a lock smith recently regarding my front door Yale lock. During some conversation I asked him about programing car key fobs. Mentioned that dealers are charging an arm and a leg, especially high end foreign car dealers. I mentioned that it might be a source of revenue for him to look into it and charge a more reasonable rate. He said his son had actually done the research (on the web), bought a replacement fob (on the web) and was able to re-program the new fob with the information he got off the web! His son wasn't there to talk with directly. My point is: He said this information was available on the web. We should get on this one as the dealers are charging WAY too much.
I think your locksmith (or his son) was shooting you a line. The factory PST2 (or newer) computer is required to mate a key to a car, and some indy mechanics (including mine) have one. However, at a point in the process, it requires the input of a VIN specific code that only a dealer can get from PCNA.

In Atlanta, I paid $80 on ebay for the key head (didn't need a new shaft), and Hennessy charged $47 to mate 2 keys to my car.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:17 AM
apterr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kim,
$80 for the head and $47 to mate 2 keys is the most reasonable price I have heard of. Is Hennessy a P dealer? ...to mate 2 keys ...does this mean the fobs are programmed? Thanks for the info.
Originally Posted by Kims996Cab
I think your locksmith (or his son) was shooting you a line. The factory PST2 (or newer) computer is required to mate a key to a car, and some indy mechanics (including mine) have one. However, at a point in the process, it requires the input of a VIN specific code that only a dealer can get from PCNA.

In Atlanta, I paid $80 on ebay for the key head (didn't need a new shaft), and Hennessy charged $47 to mate 2 keys to my car.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:03 AM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by apterr
Kim,
$80 for the head and $47 to mate 2 keys is the most reasonable price I have heard of. Is Hennessy a P dealer? ...to mate 2 keys ...does this mean the fobs are programmed? Thanks for the info.
It was a great deal. They gave me a cup of coffee, and were through with my regular key and a valet key head before I finished it. You have to be careful on ebay that a key head includes the bar code tag, necessary for programming.

Yes, Hennessy is a Porsche dealer in the north Atlanta suburbs. Despite occasional posts to the contrary, I believe that only a dealer can perform this job. To complete the process, the service man must obtain a code from PCNA. Indy mechanics, even those with the PST2, cannot obtain the code for the car.

No. It is the car's CPU that is programmed to recognize the keys .... both for start enable and for remote operation of doors/alarm .... up to 5 for my MY00 car. The keys themselves are not affected by the process.

Quick Reply: reasonable shop to program key