996 at New Country Porsche of Greenwich

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 10:01 AM
andreas7
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 at New Country Porsche of Greenwich

I am looking on this car http://new-country.porschedealer.com...ntoryid=375053

What should I do, I have now chance to look at the car because I live in Norway!

Is this a safe buy? Do I need a pre purchase inspection? And will that help me when I live in Norway? Any advice?

And the last question is how is the price?
Old 02-06-2008, 12:53 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

andreas, Welcome to Rennlist.!

You should have a PPI completed on the car. It won't help you in Norway, but it could reveal some problems that would enable you to 1) get the dealer to fix, or 2) let you walk away from the car if there are too many issues or some costly issues.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:56 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

I agree with Tim on the PPI. As for the price, I think it's about $5k too high. Negotiating it down would probably depend entirely on how difficult the shipping process is. Good luck!
Old 02-06-2008, 01:42 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

too expensive, I would buy Tim's car instead!
Old 02-06-2008, 02:24 PM
andreas7
Advanced

thanks guys.
I am looking for a carrra 4, it is a lot of snow where I live!

How does the ppi work? Does the car company take it or another company?
I sell used cars(BMW) in Norway, but we have another system!
Old 02-06-2008, 03:50 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Get the dealer that is selling the car to have a Porsche dealer or an independent do the PPI and that may also give you some negotiating room with the price.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:07 PM
rmillnj
Racer

Lets be realistic, most Porsche dealers selling a used Porsche off of their lot are going to tell you they have already checked the car out and there is no need for a PPI. I agree it would be nice to get an independent evaluation, but I bet if Andreas calls from Norway and asks them to take it elsewhere to have the car checked out, they will laugh at him, especially if they find out he is calling from Norway.

It does not look like this car is certified, probably because 2001's are no longer elgible. If it is elgible and they have not certified it, I would not touch it. I am sure someone here can tell us how far back they can legally certify now. I am pretty sure 2001 is too old now.

What Andreas needs is for someone to help him out and go look at the car and talk to the dealership about it. Normally they will tell you the history and what ever work they have done on the car. What you hope for is that they originally sold the car and took it back in trade and have the full maintenance history. In that case, as long as the dealership is reputable (and most Porsche dealerships are, but most likely someone here can vouch for them one way or the other), I would not worry too much about what you are getting.

I agree the price is maybe high, but then what would you expect from Greenwich, CT? That is a high rent area. Most likely even if it is not certified they are probably offering a 30 day warranty on it on their own. Since that does Andreas no good, he should be able to bargain them down.

Kelly Blue Book says the car is worth between $28,000 and $33,000 on a trade. They put the retail value with that mileage at $42,000. That sounds nice, but KBB is always high. The real test is what they would give you on a trade and that number is probably lower. Most likely they took the car in on trade and most likely it is a good one or they would have wholesaled it off. Still in the end if they can't move it, it will be headed to the auction so in the end that is really the rock bottom price. I can't imagine any dealership in the Northeast in the winter buying any normal Porsche for much over wholesale auction pricing. Does anyone on here know what equivalent cars are going for at auction now? If Andreas is armed with that information he knows where to start his bargaining. A really open dealership might even tell you what they paid for the car. The trick is to know your numbers.

The CARFAX report looks clean, but you still need to ask them if it has ever been hit or repainted, to the best of their knowledge. I would ask them to run the paint meter over the whole car. Most dealerships will do that when a car comes in for trade, so they should be happy to do it for you when you are looking.

Last edited by rmillnj; 02-06-2008 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:56 PM
andreas7
Advanced

Thanks!!

The dealer told me: "If you purchase the car we will run the car through our service
department and do the inspection regardless no cost, and will notify you
if the car needs anything. "

I have allready talked(email) to the dealer and they seems good. I will call them tomorrow.
If you have anything els to say, just do it! Need advice...
Old 02-06-2008, 06:54 PM
rmillnj
Racer

The key is really how you feel about the dealer and the price. Did they give you a history of the car though? I always ask how they got the car. Most good Porsche dealers will only sell an older Porsche if they are confident it is a good car. Anything questionable goes immediately to a wholeseller.

You should still try and find a fellow rennlister to take a look at the car for you. There must be someone near by that could take a look before you finalize your deal.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:32 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Have them ship the car for free as part of the deal.

Greenwich is a VERY expensive place to live, the prices of their cars reflect that as well.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:21 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a car from new country's mercedes-benz dealership a few years ago. good guys, good service, but if the car isn't certified you should still get a PPI IMHO.

RE: price, aside from he favorable exchange rate, you can probably knock a few grand of what they are asking, as I think you'll have to take into account any nationalization requirements and duties on the norway side.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:22 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, ask them for the full service history on the vehicle
Old 02-06-2008, 09:54 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by rmillnj
Kelly Blue Book says the car is worth between $28,000 and $33,000 on a trade. They put the retail value with that mileage at $42,000. That sounds nice, but KBB is always high. The real test is what they would give you on a trade and that number is probably lower. Most likely they took the car in on trade and most likely it is a good one or they would have wholesaled it off. Still in the end if they can't move it, it will be headed to the auction so in the end that is really the rock bottom price. I can't imagine any dealership in the Northeast in the winter buying any normal Porsche for much over wholesale auction pricing. Does anyone on here know what equivalent cars are going for at auction now? If Andreas is armed with that information he knows where to start his bargaining. A really open dealership might even tell you what they paid for the car. The trick is to know your numbers.
Call me nuts, but the only number I ever use from KBB or Edmunds or NADA is trade-in value. YMMV.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:03 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

are you dealing with Patrizio at that dealership? Funny...he emailed me yesterday with that same car! Small world. I work with one of the owners of that dealership....please pm me if you need any help. A very reputable dealer.

j
Old 02-07-2008, 05:54 AM
andreas7
Advanced

Yes I am dealing with Patrizio! Seems like a good salesman. I will Pm you when I know how to do it!!
Are you considering to buy the car? Do you know something about it?

Quick Reply: 996 at New Country Porsche of Greenwich