Sponsored by:

List of Damage to P-car, when garaged for a long time

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 09:15 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Holy crap Macster,

that was a hell of a write-up on one topic, the piston/bore relationship during different expansion rates.

What you are saying is probably more true with Aviation engines than car engines? Recip. engines have a design feature built-in where the top of the bore is tighter than the bottom so once at operating temperature, the bore is relatively true.

I was just talking about all the "other" components.

Bruce and Jim, carry on....................
Old 01-31-2008, 09:27 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
But you don't follow the manual.

All people have to do is look at you posts and it clearing shows that YOU DO NOT follow all of Porche recommendations. When you calm down, I think you'll realize that.

Are you off your medications?

BTW, if you are going to try to impress me with a foreign frase, you should at least get the spelling correct.

I'm no going to bother with you til you sober up.
Absolutely hilarious post. 'foreign frase'. Classic. 'Porche'. Gold. '... look at you posts and it clearing shows.' (Even you may want to edit that one).

And, as usual, entirely devoid of proof or cases in point.

Sorry about misspelling 'erat'. If only your English was as good as your Latin.

Man, I could bait you like this all night if I was the mean sort. But I'm not, and I have to hit the road anyway. Peace out, brother.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:35 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
Absolutely hilarious post. 'foreign frase'. Classic. 'Porche'. Gold. '... look at you posts and it clearing shows.' (Even you may want to edit that one).

And, as usual, entirely devoid of proof or cases in point.

Sorry about misspelling 'erat'. If only your English was as good as your Latin.

Man, I could bait you like this all night if I was the mean sort. But I'm not, and I have to hit the road anyway. Peace out, brother.
Who just took the bait? Thank you. Easiest catch I ever made.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:10 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster

Primarily, what one wants to avoid is quickly heating up the pistons, especially the piston crown (which is of course the portion of the piston that receives the heat from the combustion) too fast to avoid the possibility the piston will seize in the cylinder.
Especially true in 2-cycle engines.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:17 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts
Default What I was talking about was seizing arising from sudden influx of ...

Originally Posted by Tippy
Especially true in 2-cycle engines.
cold coolant.

I've seized a two-stroke engine when running wot with a high compression head installed. Engine didn't seize up solid, but slowed down a bit and when I closed throttle some engine cooled enough to free right up.

Anyhow, with other cars I've seen a pretty drastic temperature drop when the thermostat opens and allows a slug of cold coolant into engine.

These other cars has cast iron blocks though.

However, I have checked my Boxster's engine and its real time reaction to when the thermostat opens after starting engine from cold (below 32 degs. F. and sometimes even in the 20s or teens) and so far the thermostat opens very gradually.

My concern is that maybe with harder driving the opening might be more sudden and thus the temperature drop more sudden/severe and excessive engine wear could result.

Thus, I do, as I touched upon above, do allow engine to gain some heat and then when I drive away keep engine speeds/loads down until engine fully up to temperature.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:24 AM
cdncanoer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This post needs a poll... who is winning Bruce or Jim?
Old 02-05-2008, 07:36 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
I'm just saying to this guy, if you're getting conflicting advice, default to the manual. It's good advice, even just based on probabilities. The manual is bound to be right more than half the time; bickering strangers on the internet, well...

As for the rest of your post, I have to say that sometimes you make me think you must have been fired by Porsche at some point. I'm not going to get into a quality argument with you here; nobody is disputing that these cars exact a price in mechanical quirkiness for the pleasure they provide. If you don't think it's worth it, don't drive the car. As for them "admitting" their mistakes, well, it might surprise you to learn that all car companies are constantly updating their products, mid-series, even mid-year. This, alone, proves nothing about Porsche's supposed malicious incompetence.

I repeat my question: Why do you drive one? The bashing is just a buzzkill and, as I say, makes me think you have an axe to grind.
I agree it's always best to abide by the manual. It's also a stretch to suggest that the manual is questionable because engineering recommendations therein were made by Engineers who made errors. If that were the standard we might as well discard all car manuals because every car that I have owned over the last 40 years has had their share of "design flaws" which are typically corrected on later releases of the same model. I think we all know by now that it's risky to buy a new model of any car, regardless of the manufacturer.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:34 AM
jury_ca
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cdncanoer
This post needs a poll... who is winning Bruce or Jim?
Bruce is annihilating Jim. The fact Jim doesn't seem to notice, pretty much speaks for itself.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:54 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

holy **** a thread blowing up without me involved? WTF is going on here?

Old 02-06-2008, 12:58 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
holy **** a thread blowing up without me involved? WTF is going on here?

Good one, Ben!

Quick Reply: List of Damage to P-car, when garaged for a long time