Old 01-30-2008, 04:34 AM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default List of Damage to P-car, when garaged for a long time

I am just wondering what is the complete list of damage to a P car,
when it is stored and not driven for a long time, say several months,
in an unheated garage.
Maybe you guys can help me completing and/or correcting the list?

1. Flat spots on tires.
2. Hard spots on engine belts.
3. Hard spots in shocks.
4. Hard spots in rubber seals in doors and trunk.
5. Condensation and contamination in engine oil, break oil and Gas (full tank)
6. _Not sure about pistons and other moving parts in the engine,
sitting in the exact same spot (create a line in cylinder wall?)
7. Battery must be in trickle charger, or it will discharge, sulfate and die.
8. Rust in the body (would this accelerate when stored under normal
conditions, unheated garage?)
Old 01-30-2008, 05:59 AM
johnathan1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 924 was stored in a garage, under a cover by it's previous owner for close to 10 years...the rear main seal is dry-rotted and is leaking, and the cooling system was full of rust particles, and the radiator was almost completely clogged. Paint had oxidized a bit, but shined up with some buffing...the aluminum wheels had badly oxidized, and took a bit of polishing to get them back to being shiny again...the shocks were all bad (far too stiff, and would get stuck in place) and the torsion bar bushings had become crushed on both sides. Also, as far as engine problems...the water pump bearing failed immediately after the car put back to driving duties (probably due to all of the rust in the system) and valves and motors tend to get stuck/seized like the heater valve, AAV, wiper motor, washer motor, corroded fuse and relay contacts, etc...

If you are going to store a car...make sure moisture is kept out, the car is covered, place the car on blocks/jackstands to take the weight off of the suspension, leave the doors closed, but not latched...and keep the garage heated/cooled. That's all that's coming to me at the moment lol.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:16 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Never store a car with suspension hanging for a extended period of time unless you want to destroy your shocks. If you must store a car this way, at least grease the hell out of the shock pistons to prevent rust. If your going to store it for longer than 4 - 6 months, I would fill the engine with conventional oil (15W50 or heavier) and run it til completely warm before putting it away. Change it out after storage. If you are not going to periodically start the engine, I would remove the battery and store it in a warm place.

If you must cover your car in an unheated space, only use a fully breathable cover or rust will be rampid. Plastic or plastic coated covers are a no-no. Placing dry wood pieces in the engine compartment will help reduce moisture damage. Car should be parked on plastic sheets or similar non porous material.

Depending on how damp the area is where the car will be stored, I would use a fogging oil on the engine, brakes and suspension componants. Also, add a fuel stabiilizer to the tank and run it through the engine for 15 minutes.

Last edited by 1999Porsche911; 01-30-2008 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:14 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSStudios
I am just wondering what is the complete list of damage to a P car,
when it is stored and not driven for a long time, say several months,
in an unheated garage.
Maybe you guys can help me completing and/or correcting the list?

1. Flat spots on tires.
2. Hard spots on engine belts.
3. Hard spots in shocks.
4. Hard spots in rubber seals in doors and trunk.
5. Condensation and contamination in engine oil, break oil and Gas (full tank)
6. _Not sure about pistons and other moving parts in the engine,
sitting in the exact same spot (create a line in cylinder wall?)
7. Battery must be in trickle charger, or it will discharge, sulfate and die.
8. Rust in the body (would this accelerate when stored under normal
conditions, unheated garage?)
Missed a big one - condensation in the exhaust. Metal oxidation from inside out.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:33 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Storing a car is a decision to trade one kind of damage or decay for another. You have to make that trade consciously, and not think that you're somehow defeating entropy.

1999Porsche911's last bit of advice is extremely important. After the car sits for long enough, any residual oil on pistons and valve gear drains back into the oil pan. Without fogging the cylinders, the first startup will have those pistons scraping rust off the cylinder walls... mmm-mmmm good.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:48 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with all feedback. Regardless of what some say, Porsches are machines. And...machines are designed to run, not sit.

C.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:11 AM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not sure that it would happen within a couple of months, but storage sometimes weakens valve springs that remain compressed for a long period of time. Especially in higher reving engines, it can produce valve float at a lower rpm.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:35 AM
pszikla
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

OK what's the point in trying to scare those of us that hibernate the cars for the winter.
I for one will not expose the car to the salt, gravel and sand dumped by the ton onto our roads here in the winter.
My Acura is caked with salt for almost 4 months solid regardless of the drive thru car washes and this residue seeps in everywhere.
I wish that I lived where a lot of you live and could drive with the top down almost all year.....but I don't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 01-30-2008, 10:46 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by pszikla
OK what's the point in trying to scare those of us that hibernate the cars for the winter.
I for one will not expose the car to the salt, gravel and sand dumped by the ton onto our roads here in the winter.
My Acura is caked with salt for almost 4 months solid regardless of the drive thru car washes and this residue seeps in everywhere.
I wish that I lived where a lot of you live and could drive with the top down almost all year.....but I don't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
I don't think anybody's trying to scare anybody. But I think it's fair to say that storing your car for the winter is a choice between two sets of problems, not a way to escape them.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:53 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

To eliminate storage problems yet keep it off the road, start the engine every 2 -3 weeks and run it for at least 15 minutes longer than it takes the coolant temperature to reach 190F. Move the car back or forward so the tires rotate 180 degrees.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:03 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

What about the negative effect to the driver....not being able to enjoy your Porsche for such an extended period? That's clearly depravation that cannot be measured.(I just drove 45 miles in the rain and some crud, because it hit 40 degrees this am and I needed to enjoy my ride).
Old 01-30-2008, 11:20 AM
ls911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
To eliminate storage problems yet keep it off the road, start the engine every 2 -3 weeks and run it for at least 15 minutes longer than it takes the coolant temperature to reach 190F. Move the car back or forward so the tires rotate 180 degrees.
This was touched on a few threads ago. Obviously the best and most rewarding thing to do is drive it when ever you can. Unfortunately not all are able or whiling to do this for multiple reasons. The practice, though, of starting it JUST to warm it up is NOT good for the car (thanks to Rennlist members for advice on this). This is also clearly stated in the manual. So if you are starting it you should drive it for a while keeping the RPM's down until it is warmed up properly. Otherwise leave it alone
In my case this winter has been awful and I have not had the chance to drive it since December
As far as storage for just few month at a time per year, this IMO is not a big deal or destructive. Keep the tank full, battery tender and maybe some fresh oil in spring if not driven much.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:21 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've heard exactly the opposite - if you store it, don't start it unless you plan to drive it to operating temperature, since the method you suggest could create more condensation and problems than just leaving it quietly stored. Anyone have a definitive recommendation on this?
Old 01-30-2008, 11:28 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Phil G.
I've heard exactly the opposite - if you store it, don't start it unless you plan to drive it to operating temperature, since the method you suggest could create more condensation and problems than just leaving it quietly stored. Anyone have a definitive recommendation on this?
I did not say anything that condradicted what you heard......did I?
Old 01-30-2008, 11:56 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Never store a car with suspension hanging for a extended period of time unless you want to destroy your shocks.
BUT!!! Doc did it to the Delorean and after over 50 years it was fine... Marty drove it back to the Past and then Back to the Future...

Quick Reply: List of Damage to P-car, when garaged for a long time