Sponsored by:

Swayed to the dark side

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 03:00 AM
jbdmd
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Huskerbill
I am not sure if I should take offense to your comments of "your old Ferraris" that "many of you could swing including me" and it being an "old stripper that you really don't want to see dancing". I am finding it hard not to....

I was asked if I was interested in being a Regional President for the Ferrari Club of America 2 years ago. So, I think I know these cars pretty well (others apparently seem to think so too).

Just to give you a little education....the "old cars I rolled in" are not any less reliable. In fact the 328 is known as the "Accord of Ferrari's" and has been called "bulletproof" for being so reliable. Way more reliable than a 360.

The 348 is about the same regarding reliability vs. a 360.

The 360 is NOT as reliable as the water-cooled Carerras. Not even close. They are more modern than "what I rolled in", of course. But no more reliable. The electronics alone (esp with F1) can be a mess. One modulator in the car can run $18k if it goes out. And there is NO rebuild. No aftermarket. You get the replacement in a little yellow box with Cavalino's on it. And none of this takes into account the 3 year/$6000 major service that is recommended by FoNA.

Ferrari ownership isn't about price. It is about getting what you like. Just like it is with any car. I grew up liking Magnum PI and always wanted a 308. So I got the better version of it. I could buy a 360 if I wanted to. Could pay cash. A 360 at $100k and dropping like a rock isn't in the cards for me. They just don't do it for me. Now, a Boxer 512BBi is another story. But you probably haven't heard of that car. It isn't on Forza Motorsports or Project Gotham Racing....

So, here's a crazy idea, maybe you should man-up and actually buy a Ferrari so you can get a little first hand experience of what it is like to own one instead of trying to talk down to guys that actually have owned one (or more). Maybe then you would have better perspective than "Dude, my friend has a......".

Yawn.

Please do not take this as an attack on you credentials but from my research the 360 has been the most reliable Ferrari made...save the 430. It is no 996/997 but it was a giant step forward for Ferrari. I mean engine in belt service...radical! Vast improvements in service intervals and parts were made with the 360 and improved further with the 430 (ie timing chain instead of timing belt). The future is bright for F!

My sources include the FML, Forza Mag and exhaustive searching through many areas of ferrarichat.

I guess we will need to agree to disagree.

Best

PS I will likely "be back" perhaps b/c the F drains my wallet but more likely b/c I am a car guy and Porsche, Lambo, Mas, Ferrrai, Bugatti all have something that tickle my fancy...and will likely continue to.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:54 AM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey, Jason - Congratulations again, and all the Ferrari info. has been very enlightening from you and the other Rennlisters who own or owned one.

Ben, I've enjoyed your posts for a while now. That being said, I'm pissed that you'd use this thread to make the ugly comments you did. I understand how the discussion to that point warranted a personal attack on another members lifestyle - that was ugly. I pay for the privilege of using this discussion forum for information and camaraderie. I'm not interested in a fude.

One last thing - If any of us is going to get offended by size of house or the quality/number of expensive cars someone else owns on Rennlist, then I'd suggest you find another forum. We have all been blessed with more than the avg. person has (by a long shot). So, I'm not about to cast stones at the guy who has more toys than me (although I will be filled with envy).
Old 01-26-2008, 03:55 AM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Crap - I meant to say "I don't understand how the discussion to that point...."
Old 01-26-2008, 09:39 AM
jbdmd
Pro

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
Well... I think the $2-3k price for the belt change was from Eugenio's web site. I will take care of all the small stuff, like fluids, brakes, etc. Probably clutch too when come time. But the timing belts for some reason just scares the crap out of me on a freaking Ferrari engine LOL! I know I know, it is all in the head, maybe couple years from now.... I barely even drive the darn car, just looking at it makes me happy.

Belts were just done on my 3 weeks ago. My plan is to let Ferrari do everything. Probably not absolutely necessary as there are a couple of very well regarded shops in the area but I will sleep easier. My current plan is to roll out of the 360 in about 2 years so the belt will have another year b4 F recommends serivce.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:49 AM
jbdmd
Pro

Originally Posted by Huskerbill
I am not sure we are disagreeing on anything. My post above was to Ben. I think your car is gorgeous and they are truly a work of art. Ferrari took a giant leap both in design and technology with the 360 and it has paid off well. They have sold a lot of them and rightly so.

Sounds like you made a pretty informed decision before you bought it and were fact-finding in all the right places. Enjoy your rossa car in great health!!

Bill
...never took it as a dis on my "New To Me" Ride

Two Thoughts:

1)Bill your collection is sick!!!! and your CURRENNT home looks amazing.

2)Don't mess with Ben it looks like he could crack a coconut with those guns!

Ay Ben: Any more tickets to the gun show???....need any mice to feed those pythons??? ...sorry could not resist

FWIW I have already been humbled twice in the two days I have owned the F

1) Driving through Tempe a guy yelled to me, "Is that a rental?" Ouch!

2)Sitting at a bar a young women said "Oh you got a Ferrari!...is it a 430???...oh a 360....those are FINE too" LOL!!!

Gotta love the occasional god smack!! Guess my Shizza DOES stink!
Old 01-26-2008, 12:57 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Jason,

Finally the weather cleared up here in S. CA, but supposely we are getting hit hard again tonight.

Took the f-car out for a little warm up ride (once a week), parked the car on the driveway after I got home. A total stranger (I think he is one of my neighbors) drove by asked me if he could look at the f-car. I said yes, he stood there looked at the f-car for like 10 minutes, I stood nervously next to him wondering what his next move would be... In the end he said "Very nice car I have a whole collection of them at home...." Match box he later added, I smiled.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:56 PM
jbdmd
Pro

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
Jason,

Finally the weather cleared up here in S. CA, but supposely we are getting hit hard again tonight.

Took the f-car out for a little warm up ride (once a week), parked the car on the driveway after I got home. A total stranger (I think he is one of my neighbors) drove by asked me if he could look at the f-car. I said yes, he stood there looked at the f-car for like 10 minutes, I stood nervously next to him wondering what his next move would be... In the end he said "Very nice car I have a whole collection of them at home...." Match box he later added, I smiled.
Robin

We got your rain yesterday and the spider went undriven!!!

Looking good today gonna have to let her "air out"

Best
Old 01-29-2008, 05:17 PM
Alphahunter
Instructor

Jason, The 360 is amazing! Good taste in cars! Now sell me your Hard Top! LOL!!! I'm ready when you are.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:22 PM
Alphahunter
Instructor

Default God Unleashing his Wrath on the road!

This is a great combo for the 360 from Fabspeed and Tubi!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGjspTKh5LQ
Old 01-30-2008, 01:21 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ls911
No darkeness about that! I think I'm a bit jealous
Congratulations on a beautiful 360. When able to please give more details about it, more pics would also be nice
Little jealous????? HOW ABOUT A LOT!!!!! WOWWW your a lucky man! Keep the images coming even though you are a traitor!!
Old 01-30-2008, 02:00 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Please post as much info as you can cram onto Rennlist about your Ferrari experiences. Like a few Rennlisters, my dream car is a 360 Modena Spyder. I have already turned my garage into a "showroom" for my 964 Speedster and would love to put a 360 in its place. That car is pure sex on wheels. However, I have been apprehensive to do so because of the "carrying costs". My Speedster has yet to depreciate over my 8 years of ownership, and I can't say that about too many cars. And on the maintencen front, my Speedster's expenses have been next to nothing...

Enjoy those beautiful F-cars guys. And if your experience meets your expectations, then I might be forced to join the club!

-Blake
Old 01-30-2008, 02:54 AM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Hey Robin, you don't look Italian.

Great cars, but don't you guys find it a bit difficult to fully enjoy them though?

I guess that's the trade-off. I'd love to have a historic old Ferrari parked in my garage and drive only occassionally.

But to me, it wouldn't be worth the money and effort to keep a new(er) car sitting in the garage, worry about every mile on the odo, or to be afraid to hit a puddle, run over a leaf, etc, ha.

The guys keep saying "enjoy in good health..."
-- Yeah, don't let it give you a heart attack, loosen up, get out and drive it, screw the odo.

-Dave
Old 01-30-2008, 03:07 AM
jbdmd
Pro

Originally Posted by Meister Fahrer

Great cars, but don't you guys find it a bit difficult to fully enjoy them though?

I guess that's the trade-off. I'd love to have a historic old Ferrari parked in my garage and drive only occassionally.

But to me, it wouldn't be worth the money and effort to keep a new(er) car sitting in the garage, worry about every mile on the odo, or to be afraid to hit a puddle, run over a leaf, etc, ha.

-- Yeah, don't let it give you a heart attack, loosen up, get out and drive it, screw the odo.

-Dave
400 miles in 5 days!!! I am going to drive the **** out of it!
Old 01-30-2008, 10:35 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Meister Fahrer

-Dave
I don't look German either... LOL!

I drive the **** out of my 996 everyday, in matter of fact I have so much fun with my 996 I ended up just parking the 993 only drive it once every couple weeks. So I thought wouldn't it be great to replace the 993 with a Ferrari, since you are not suppose to drive them anyways!

So for daily driving enjoyment there is nothing else but a Porsche. But for the most amazing driving experience once a week at a time.... A Ferrari!

Porsche are a step up from "regular" automobile as far as driver skill and technique requirement (More so for the older gen 911s), the Ferrari I would have to say is another step up from Porsche. Not that it is hard to drive, but very hard to drive it perfectly as one with the car. As the car is super reactive to every input, but very precise and very sharp. No "bubblly feeling or margin anywhere".
Old 01-30-2008, 03:42 PM
Alphahunter
Instructor

Another good 360 Exhaust.
The exhaust is from Prototech in Ft. Lauderdale. It features stainlees steel pipes with resonators and an X-pipe and full V-band couplings. Normally flames will not appear downshifting due to the Ferrari ECU utilizing a fuel cut. If you open the throttle slightly upon down shifting it produces flames. This allows fuel to enter the exhaust due to the timing retard and then burns in the pipes. Typically it is more difficult when there are cats and mufflers as the fuel burns upon entering them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_FANnHYBkA

Protech:
http://www.prototechonline.com/

Good deal on Remus
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FERRA...spagenameZWDVW

Video:Remus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV_I_XDGlTs

Last edited by Alphahunter; 01-30-2008 at 05:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Swayed to the dark side