996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Nav Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008 | 03:40 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Default Aftermarket Nav Question

I've decided to add an aftermarket navigation system to my car. I want to get a double-DIN unit and after some research decided on the Kenwood DNX7100 (which offers the best bang-for-the-buck in my opinion). My only concern is that the DNX7100 (and other nav units from Pioneer, et. al.) only have 2 volts pre-out. My current Alpine head unit has 4 volts pre-out. Am I going to notice the difference in terms of sound quality/noise? I know I can turn the gain up on my Audison amp but will it still sound worse than my current setup?

Thanks.

-Gary
Old 01-25-2008 | 01:55 AM
akif
Advanced

Originally Posted by programmatore
I've decided to add an aftermarket navigation system to my car. I want to get a double-DIN unit and after some research decided on the Kenwood DNX7100 (which offers the best bang-for-the-buck in my opinion). My only concern is that the DNX7100 (and other nav units from Pioneer, et. al.) only have 2 volts pre-out. My current Alpine head unit has 4 volts pre-out. Am I going to notice the difference in terms of sound quality/noise? I know I can turn the gain up on my Audison amp but will it still sound worse than my current setup?

Thanks.

-Gary
A few years ago, I went from an Alpine 2 volt setup to an Alpine 4 volt setup (in my Bimmer). Everything else stayed the same, just changed the head unit. I thought the 4 volt setup gave a noticeable punch to the music - music seemed much cleaner.

Of course, you do get used to whatever you have

Personally, any time in the future I upgrade my system (in any car), I'll stick with external amps, and 4+ volts preamp outputs.
Old 01-27-2008 | 03:18 PM
smsarchitects
Rennlist Member

I have a Pioneer NAV unit (with Siirius module) for sale that I bought from another rennlister for my '02 996. I have now decided not to install as the car will be a dedicated track car (I know, " are you nuts tracking a cab?"). Anyway, f you are interested send me a PM. NO hi-jacking intended

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Nav Question