996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Airbag light

Old 01-23-2008, 06:09 PM
WCE
User

Received 176 Likes on 85 Posts
Thumbs down Airbag light

I've done my searches and still can't believe everyone's "acceptance" of this chronic problem and Porsche's very expensive repair of what is clearly a design fault.
No wiring guru's here ever figure out what makes the module "happy" and keeps the damn light off besides replacing all the wiring and components?
Old 01-24-2008, 01:06 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Take the bulb out......easier than re-wiring. Just kidding, what is it that ails you? What is wrong?
Old 01-24-2008, 01:21 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a Porsche TSB (service bulletin) that describes the procedure to fix the bad grounds (under the drivers seat) and to replace buckles (that have faulted) with new gold contact buckles.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:30 PM
UFO007
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Loren
There is a Porsche TSB (service bulletin) that describes the procedure to fix the bad grounds (under the drivers seat) and to replace buckles (that have faulted) with new gold contact buckles.
Yeah, but for those of us out of warranty the stealership wants lots of money to perform this. The OP is complaining that an inherent fault caused by crappy design by Porsche leads to an expensive repair where we have to foot the bill. There's things like this, the RMS, and the intermediate shaft bolt that we are just supposed to accept while bending over and spreading, and put it down to being part of the 'exclusive' 996 owner's club.

To be honest: next time the gauge cluster comes out, I really am going to remove the bulb.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:01 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL totally man i feel your pain. stupid airbag light came on and thru this great site found out it has something to do with the seat belt buckles. go porsche!

dealer quoted me $1K to replace both buckles (must be that gold plating but back at the time, gold was not selling as high as it is today). they helped me to figure out it's the driver side buckle with the problem which was very cool of them.

i took it to my indy shop, ordered the new buckle thru sunset imports, and at the end of the day, spent about $300 total to replace one buckle and get that nasty airbag light to go away.

it's like porsche r u kidding me? you can't get the belt buckle right?
Old 05-06-2008, 10:27 PM
WCE
User

Received 176 Likes on 85 Posts
Lightbulb

Reviving my own old post with info that might be helpful.
Dealer told me my light was being caused by the passanger's seat buckle. Cleaned the contacts, light still tripped a few drives later. Checked the resistance of the buckle - 400 ohms unlatched, 100 ohms latched. Dealer let me check a new replacement buckle he was asking 80 bucks for, SAME resistance. I figured if my circuit was tripping the light (for whatever reason) unlatched, I'd splice in a 100 ohm resistor under the seat to mimic the latched condition and see if that keeps it happy.
Two months later, no light, 1000 bucks still in my pocket!
Old 05-06-2008, 10:53 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wce, i hope it works out for ya but i know when i was looking into this it eventually creeps back. no one's handled it the way you have, though.

don't spend that $1k just yet
Old 05-07-2008, 01:12 AM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

I have something wrong with my seatbelt light, too. BUT, I LIKE IT! Light is on only if the buckle is only partially in. Belt out, no light. Slide the belt slightly in, light comes on with a bell sound. Latch the belt buckle, light goes out. If I don't want to, I don't have to use the seat belt at all. If I use the 6 point harness, I don't have to add the 3 point to make it a silly 9 point system.

BWAAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAaaaaa!
Old 11-22-2009, 09:53 PM
Surfer161
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fault hasnt stopped.

my 2002 C4S has tripped the same problem. dealer turned the light off 6 weeks ago, but came back yesterday.

he quoted 481 labor plus parts, 250.

crappy part we pay for. luv this stuff

surfer161

PCA since 1975

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Airbag light