Sponsored by:

Pics of my (new to me) 40th Anniversary

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 03:55 PM
bronston
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Pics of my (new to me) 40th Anniversary

I have had the car six months. Had 10,000 miles on it when purchased to which I added another 5,000. Gorgeous car. (intermediate shaft lunched at idle) I know I should have posted pics of my new car but I have been busy driving it. Now, not so much.
Attached Images        
Old 01-20-2008, 06:44 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

is it under warranty? What next? How many miles? Sorry about the mishap...
Old 01-20-2008, 07:13 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm no Porsche engineer but shouldn't all those parts be in the car?
Old 01-20-2008, 07:17 PM
bronston
Advanced

Still under warranty until June, 2 years CPO after that. One would have thought they would have resolved the Intermediate shaft issue before the end of the 996 series.
Thanks for the kind thought.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:25 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by bronston
Still under warranty until June, 2 years CPO after that. One would have thought they would have resolved the Intermediate shaft issue before the end of the 996 series.
Thanks for the kind thought.
the 997 has these issues as well, but not as much as the 996... i think it boils down to quality issues... it seems the breakdowns on these cars are very random
Old 01-20-2008, 07:26 PM
bronston
Advanced

Default All but one.

Originally Posted by riad
I'm no Porsche engineer but shouldn't all those parts be in the car?
All of those parts used to be in the car but apparently one did not like it there and yearned to be free.
I was once mildly flamed for suggesting the use of an automatic carwash. Maybe the warnings were correct and the intemediate shaft failed out of sheer terror of that VERY big wet flapping machine.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:30 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

I doubt it. My C4S suffers from 2nd Porsche syndrome. Where my 2001 was washed with a diaper the C4S gets the car wash... it's a friggen car not a Fabergé Egg.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:38 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Rob....I've been very hesitant on using a car wash that is automatic. So for winter....it's handwash place, which is a pain and takes a long time with lines...but i'm fine with it. Do you use touchless washes? Which ones? my main concern is clearance issues and wheel scuffs.

Jon
Old 01-20-2008, 07:45 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Jon,

The one I use is brushless and I tell the guys not to use the brushes except on the wheels. I don't have any issues with wheels.

I used to use Splash when we lived in Scarsdale, but there aren't any around here.

Rob
Old 01-20-2008, 08:13 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you sir....now back to our regularly scheduled program already in progress... (sorry for the hijack).
j
Old 01-21-2008, 12:27 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Bronston - those are good pics. It's too bad you had to have an engine failure to get them. Who is doing the replacement?
Old 01-21-2008, 01:13 AM
bronston
Advanced

Originally Posted by gota911
Bronston - those are good pics. It's too bad you had to have an engine failure to get them. Who is doing the replacement?
The engine is not being replaced just the intermediate shaft. It is being done by Barrier in Bellevue(Seattle) WA.
They are a little different from the usual "Here's pics of my new Porsche" post.

I hope to have the car back Wednesday. I'll have to have quite a few trouble-free miles to get over this early introduction to Porsche ownership.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:35 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I believe you are the first person I can recall those car had the intermediate shaft crap out and not take the engine with it. Good thing for warranties. When you get it back, drive it like you stole it!
Old 01-21-2008, 02:39 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's too bad they aren't just replacing the engine as a whole unit with a fresh reman one which are known to be better than the originals units since they are looked over with greater scrutiny per sources here and at porsche.

i'd drive it worry free so long as you're under the warranty. don't take it too hard on yourself or the 911 or the porsche brand as a whole. though i'm not one to make up excuses for porsche since i have no loyalties to the brand... it could be much worse.

pls do keep us posted
Old 01-21-2008, 10:43 AM
bronston
Advanced

I would have preferred a reman but that was not offered. A reman engine would have been done in an engine specific shop by a tech who only does engines. I don't doubt the skill of the people at Barrier. That said, I have seen no other posts on failed intermediate shafts on warranty that were not replaced with a reman. I was aware of the this problem when I decided to purchase a Porshe, but in all the cases a reman engine was provided, so I wasn't that worried about it. Silly me. Maybe being so close to the shop when it failed was not such a good thing. In retrospect I wish I had been able to follow the after-the-fact advice of one member, to drive the crap out of it until it really blew and make sure I'd get a reman. Drive it until it seizes or scatters.
If I'd gotten a reman it would have not had as much down-time and I would have been more confident in driving this car and Porsche in general.

Quick Reply: Pics of my (new to me) 40th Anniversary