Sponsored by:

Bose vs no Bose

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 11:27 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by triode
It's always amazed me when guys spend big bucks on car audio...between 70+ dB of wind, tire and engine noise, a car just isn't a hospitable environment for true high-quality sound.
... which is why people spend money on it. I guess it depends on how you feel about music and what you like to listen to. I just upgraded mine because, when I choose to listen, I want to be able to hear it and enjoy it. My modest upgrade put some detail back into the music that could hold its own against the engine and ambient sound. You have to remember that the minimum audible difference in volume most ears can detect is something like +3dB, I think, and an amplifier has to more or less double its output to achieve +3dB. If you want loud, or even if you just want detail (like I did... I'm a jazz fan), the modification dominoes start to fall pretty quick and, before you know it, it's not hard to justify replacing the whole system.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:59 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
... which is why people spend money on it. I guess it depends on how you feel about music and what you like to listen to. I just upgraded mine because, when I choose to listen, I want to be able to hear it and enjoy it. My modest upgrade put some detail back into the music that could hold its own against the engine and ambient sound. You have to remember that the minimum audible difference in volume most ears can detect is something like +3dB, I think, and an amplifier has to more or less double its output to achieve +3dB. If you want loud, or even if you just want detail (like I did... I'm a jazz fan), the modification dominoes start to fall pretty quick and, before you know it, it's not hard to justify replacing the whole system.
...especially since you can improve the stock system dramatically for less than, say, the price of a new set of rims.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:48 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 337 Likes on 233 Posts

Knowing what I know about the stereo system now (after my install), I think it can be dramatically improved for about 1.5-2K. I went larger than I would have otherwise because I ended up trading one of my SpeedTech Exhaust systems to a stereo guy in exchange for components and it worked out really well for me. If I were to do it with cost more in mind, I would go with the smaller Audison amp, keep the factory head unit and replace the speakers all around with something less expensive than Morel, but good quality such as Focal or similar. The install would still be very similar to what I did, with the exception of the head unit swap and the wiring harness adapter related to it.

I had a similar system in my 993tt and loved it -my car is a daily driver and I get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Sure there are times when I turn it off and listen to the motor and there are other times when I like to crank Led Zeppelin and have it sound like they are in the car, live...What I am saying is having an upgraded stereo is a nice option, which I personally derive a lot of pleasure from.
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook
Old 01-15-2008, 01:32 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John D II
......If I were to do it with cost more in mind, I would go with the smaller Audison amp, keep the factory head unit and replace the speakers all around with something less expensive than Morel, but good quality such as Focal or similar.....
Exactly what I did.

I spent a little over $1500, did the install myself and it made a HUGE improvement.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:34 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so if i want a lil more oomph, what would you guys recommend? I want more bass, but a tight bass, not a huge 12" sub kinda bass that rattles people's windows.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:57 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Ben - the 3.6l have a little diffesent set-up I believe, but here's what I did w/my 3.4l sub wise.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...stereo+install
Old 01-15-2008, 04:23 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

The guys who did mine showed me a tidy 4" sub in a tube that mounted in that valley behind the back seats. Looked pretty slick. I don't recall the brand but, for you, I'd phone him and find out.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:16 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
so if i want a lil more oomph, what would you guys recommend? I want more bass, but a tight bass, not a huge 12" sub kinda bass that rattles people's windows.
Get wider wheels!
Old 01-19-2008, 10:10 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckla
Has anyone done an AB or otherwise compared a 996 with the Bose option against a 996 without the Bose option? Is there a significant sound difference? Can the Bose option be added on after the car is built and delivered?
It depends on which Porsche you are talking about. For a Cayman, the Bose isn't worth the extra money. I can't find a difference listening to the Sound Plus stereo versus the Bose in the Cayman. For that car, there is an issue in speaker placement which more power and better quality speakers can't compensate.

In a 996 Coupe it is a different story. Surprisingly, this is one of the best sounding and most balanced systems out there from the factory. It isn't as good as the Mark Levison in the new LS600, but it is pretty darn good compared to what else it out there. It is a huge step up from anything you can get in an M3 and years ahead of the Bose in a Corvette. It has mutliple amps with 12 speakers: a tweeter and mid-range in each side of the dash, woofers in the doors, a tweater and midrange on each side of the back seat and 2 subs in a vented enclosure behind the back seat. For cabs, you get one instead of 2 subs and it is placed on the floor between the driver and passengers feet. With a lot of Bose stereos they have a lot of highs and lows with nothing in the middle. With the 996 Bose 4 different ranges of speakers are used so it has balanced sound for the entire audible range.

When one of my friends was ordering his 997, I told him to get the Bose at least for the resale. It is much harder to sell a non-Bose car. He ordered it, but didn't like it at first. The problem was he never adjusted the sound settings. I went through the book and started adjusted the low, mid, high and positioning settings, having him listen to it each time. He now loves it, better than listening to his home stereo.

You can do anything you want to on the aftermarket side. I have yet to see a complete aftermarket stereo done right on these cars. People do pretty hideous things to these cars to improve the stereos. They box up the floor behind the front seats, so you can't move the seats back. They make big tacky boxes that require the rear seats to be folded all the time. They place large amps on the floor of the trunk to completely eliminating the trunk's useability. None of these make the car look more attractive to buyers when times comes to sell it.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:53 PM
ls911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
It depends on which Porsche you are talking about. For a Cayman, the Bose isn't worth the extra money. I can't find a difference listening to the Sound Plus stereo versus the Bose in the Cayman. For that car, there is an issue in speaker placement which more power and better quality speakers can't compensate.

In a 996 Coupe it is a different story. Surprisingly, this is one of the best sounding and most balanced systems out there from the factory. It isn't as good as the Mark Levison in the new LS600, but it is pretty darn good compared to what else it out there. It is a huge step up from anything you can get in an M3 and years ahead of the Bose in a Corvette. It has mutliple amps with 12 speakers: a tweeter and mid-range in each side of the dash, woofers in the doors, a tweater and midrange on each side of the back seat and 2 subs in a vented enclosure behind the back seat. For cabs, you get one instead of 2 subs and it is placed on the floor between the driver and passengers feet. With a lot of Bose stereos they have a lot of highs and lows with nothing in the middle. With the 996 Bose 4 different ranges of speakers are used so it has balanced sound for the entire audible range.

When one of my friends was ordering his 997, I told him to get the Bose at least for the resale. It is much harder to sell a non-Bose car. He ordered it, but didn't like it at first. The problem was he never adjusted the sound settings. I went through the book and started adjusted the low, mid, high and positioning settings, having him listen to it each time. He now loves it, better than listening to his home stereo.

You can do anything you want to on the aftermarket side. I have yet to see a complete aftermarket stereo done right on these cars. People do pretty hideous things to these cars to improve the stereos. They box up the floor behind the front seats, so you can't move the seats back. They make big tacky boxes that require the rear seats to be folded all the time. They place large amps on the floor of the trunk to completely eliminating the trunk's useability. None of these make the car look more attractive to buyers when times comes to sell it.
I got company!

Welcome to the victims of the marketing machine A non profit organization affiliated with the potheads from best buy that have the good stuff
Old 01-20-2008, 05:02 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

With 911 prices spanning from $70k to $190k, I'm not sure I believe that the lack of a specific option makes the car difficult to sell.

People make stupid modifications to all kinds of cars; don't condemn them all because some people don't know what they're doing.

Quick Reply: Bose vs no Bose