Sponsored by:

DPS Motorsports: ripped me on ebay transaction

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 12:34 PM
gregorycarl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by galeriehughie
Yes dell exactly my point and to respond to other poster that i'm jumping the gun; if the guy was not rude to me when I called to ask about shipping then I wouldn't have posted in the first place. Also its a car forum not court...
Market capitalization...you have a computer, you should have done a full search before you paid 95 bucks. Most large retail stores have loss leaders. Say you go into Home Depot and buy a sink (cheapest price in town) and then you look at the faucets and hoses which have mark-ups 2 to 3 times the other large box store down the road. Pick and choose, and research and you will always save money!

People are rude when they are confronted in most situations, if ya kill-em with kindness, they usually will be more willing to help you. Or you can rip people over the internet, and they won't be able to defend themselves. Post likes this are kinda revenge tactics because you didn't get the best at the cheapest price, you should have "found" the cheaper prices before you hit buy, who's fault is that?...
Old 01-13-2008, 01:20 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by gregorycarl
Market capitalization...you have a computer, you should have done a full search before you paid 95 bucks. Most large retail stores have loss leaders. Say you go into Home Depot and buy a sink (cheapest price in town) and then you look at the faucets and hoses which have mark-ups 2 to 3 times the other large box store down the road. Pick and choose, and research and you will always save money!
Gotta agree with you on that one... the burden is on the purchaser to find the cheapest price.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:30 PM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Pick and choose, and research and you will always save money!" -agreed, but what you call "loss leaders" I call sneaky. You and I are both entitled to our opinions and we are both free to express them.

"Or you can rip people over the internet, and they won't be able to defend themselves" Again, I really don't get what huge power you guys think this website has over businesses and people... It's a car website, and most Porsche owners don't know and could care less that it exists. I am relaying my experience to fellow rennlisters so that they do not fall into same trap I fell into. If Wellardmac had posted he paid $99 for the screws that, when you buy item from the dealer, come with the sideskirts. I would have not bought the peripherals. So now hopefully anyone considering buying something from them, that we all agree are at a great price for object we are purchasing, will have the benefit of our shared experiences. Such as dead eye contemplating aerokit items from them will now know not to buy the screws for $99.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:40 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Gotta agree with you on that one... the burden is on the purchaser to find the cheapest price.
That's been precisely my point the entire time. As gregorycarl said, kill 'em with kindness and they'll probably respond with same. OTOH, heading to the largest online Porsche community to start bashing them on a day when they might not even be open might lead to a less-than-ideal solution for everyone.

They may not have the best shipping policies or customer service, but that's not why anybody buys from them, is it? People buy from them because of the price, just like Wal-Mart, 'cept the difference is that nobody complains about the poor customer service at Wal-Mart because, uh, I think we all know how this works.

As for the "overcharging" on the screws and GPS antenna, well, caveat emptor applies here as well as anywhere.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:33 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know....When I bought my GT3 skirts from Brandywine, I didnt ask if hardware came with it...I ASSUMED that it would just as I would have from them....They sound like the ripoff camera places that sell you a camera at a SUPER low price, but charge you for the strap, manual, battery, lens cap, charger, and then you realize its an imported camera with no warranty and you paid MORE for it than you would if you bought it at your local camera store...Yet these places are in business for years and years....
Old 01-14-2008, 02:57 AM
blinkwatt
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mfletch
I just (2 days ago) bought a set of OEM MK1 sideskirts from them. The price was almost 1/2 of anywhere else. The sideskirts were $350 plus $99 for the hardware. I have not received them yet. So far, I'm pretty impressed. I searched on this site and they came highly recommended for the aero parts.
Only $450 for BOTH passenger and driver side skirts?
Old 01-15-2008, 09:37 PM
SC996
Instructor

Well just talk to Eric today, after Dayton promised me the lights last Friday, still have not seen them yet and found out they do not even have them in stock??? I think at this point it's not worth the extra savings to order from them again.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:17 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have purchased from Dayton more then a few times, I agree the shipping is not the fastest but I have to say I have had a few issues and he cleared them up. I think he is a stand up guy, lets be honest **** happens but I feel that how one handles the issue is more important then the problem. I will buy from him again no problem.I think you should try and get it worked out with him.I also think you should have tried to work it out with him first before you posted, don't get me wrong I appreciate members looking out for us, but it would have been the best way to clear it up with him first.I hope it works out for you.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:42 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

I received the sideskirts that I purchased from DPS. They arrived in good condition and it only took 5 or 6 days for the shipping. The final bill was $350 for the OEM MK1 sideskirts plus $83 for the hardware (they charged me $16 less than they told me on the phone). It appears that some of the hardware is missing. Could someone please advise me what I'm missing?
The part numbers for the sideskirts are 986 559 981 01/02 and 986 559 980 01/02....are these correct for a 99 996? Thanks.
It looks like I have a little bit of hassle ahead of me, but their price was still almost half of the best that I could find. If they resolve the hardware issue, I would buy from them again.
Attached Images  
Old 01-16-2008, 01:44 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Mark, that looks exactly like the hardware set I got when I ordered mine from DPS back in '06. If I recall correctly, there should be 18 mounting clips total (9 for each body side), with the same number or sheetmetal screws. Your set contains only half the required screws, and is missing 4 clips. The other stuff are spacers to help with the mounting location of the sideskirts, which you really wouldn't need (I did the entire install myself). The remaining two metal parts are retaining clips which secure the sideskirts to the front wheel well.

FWIW, I didn't have to pay extra for the hardwares when I bought from DPS, but I suspect the price probably already included them.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:29 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Interesting - my set included the clips and screws, but not the large black plastic things. I've never seen those before... I guess they got dropped from my order. gotta love it.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:56 PM
JC3D
Pro

I think this whole thread got started because of lack of research before buying a part. I have bought many things from dayton, see him and the other dps guys at the track all of the time and they are great people. A simple phone call and more research may have solved the problem.

Not sure on their shipping because I always go pick it up from them.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:41 AM
951sickness
Instructor

Sorry to hear of your troubles with DPS but I just received my Traffic pro which I won on eBay Saturday. Extremely fast turn around, at least in my case.

Originally Posted by galeriehughie
Ok a deal sounds too good to be true, I guess they mostly are....

I bought the traffic-pro from them for a very good price, nuff said, BUT when I asked if I would have it by the end of the week on the previous Sunday, they say no problem I will have it by Thursday. They don't even send it until Friday and when I call to ask where it is on Friday, I get the old run around. Ok its ebay nuff said again.

But then I need the antenna, for the gps and they say its $95, well here's where I am a little pissed: they charge 33.41 for it on their damn website!

http://www.dps-motorsports.com/after...aspx?prod=8407

Why try to rip people off on accessories? If they wanted 60 more dollars for the radio then ask for it!!!
Old 01-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Charlie, thanks for the info. I will give them a call and get the missing hardware. Still, hard to beat at $433. for OEM sideskirts.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:56 PM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

update: the much debated $95 antenna was not even sent!!!!!
unfortunately I am away till tomorrow and will not get to call until tomorrow afternoon.
I guess you can at least depend on the fact that you cannot depend on them to get a full shipment.

Quick Reply: DPS Motorsports: ripped me on ebay transaction