Sponsored by:

DPS Motorsports: ripped me on ebay transaction

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 05:43 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10
Not sure if you're serious about it only being 12 screws, but I'll bet they charge that much for the same reason that Best Buy asks 10-15% of the price of a 42" LCD just for a cable to hook it up.
Sheet metal screws that are required to install and cost a couple bucks compared to an OPTIONAL cable for your tv doesn't make sense.

You can spend anywhere from a couple dollars on "that" cable to several hundred dollars. I have built a few home theaters in my days so trust me when I say I know what I am talking about wrt cabling.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:52 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

the hardware pack is literally a bag of screws and spacers - not much to it.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:18 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Sheet metal screws that are required to install and cost a couple bucks compared to an OPTIONAL cable for your tv doesn't make sense.
C'mon, if it truly is just 12 sheetmetal screws, it sounds at least as optional as an HDMI cable, and chances are, if everyone agrees that it's overpriced at $99, you'll be able to find it cheaper someplace else.

I liken it to expensive shipping rates from online stores; as long as I'm getting the best overall value, I don't necessarily care about the price of each part.

You can spend anywhere from a couple dollars on "that" cable to several hundred dollars. I have built a few home theaters in my days so trust me when I say I know what I am talking about wrt cabling.
That makes two of us, then, and while you CAN spend a couple hundred dollars on an HDMI cable, you got ripped off if your display isn't over a hundred feet from its source.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:18 PM
SC996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered some tail lights from Dayton. He told me five days shipping. It took twelve. When they arrived I had two passenger lights??? He wouldn't half the two day shipping with me, I paid it anyway, yesterday was day four.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:08 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tooloud10
C'mon, if it truly is just 12 sheetmetal screws, it sounds at least as optional as an HDMI cable, and chances are, if everyone agrees that it's overpriced at $99, you'll be able to find it cheaper someplace else.

I liken it to expensive shipping rates from online stores; as long as I'm getting the best overall value, I don't necessarily care about the price of each part.

That makes two of us, then, and while you CAN spend a couple hundred dollars on an HDMI cable, you got ripped off if your display isn't over a hundred feet from its source.

Seriously, it's a bunch of screws and spacers. At least get a price from your dealer.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:42 PM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok, here's what I'm thinking. They have the Alumi-Look Central Air Vent (204.38) , I need to remove the air vent to install the antenna, I also bought an 02+ horseshoe when I first got the car not realizing that the 99 has a different airvent system, so I can update the whole area. I will offer to buy the piece if he takes the off the difference I feel I should not have been charged. If not we play hardball and I return for full refund and buy it elsewhere.

I saw several months ago that a fellow 'lister did a DIY updating the vents and surround. Maybe this all happened for the best.

http://www.dps-motorsports.com/after...aspx?prod=8599
Old 01-13-2008, 01:35 AM
FLY996
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered a simple silver hood badge from them and it took weeks of emails/phone calls before I received it....these guys suck at shipping things...
Old 01-13-2008, 08:44 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I remember all the headaches from the aero purchases and now hearing all of this I must ask......WHY CONTINUE TO BUY FROM THESE PEOPLE???
Old 01-13-2008, 08:48 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

I remember all the headaches from the aero purchases and now hearing all of this I must ask......WHY CONTINUE TO BUY FROM THESE PEOPLE???
... the price is good and you do eventually get your stuff. It's just a pity that you have to work with them to get it done.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:52 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

When looking for stuff for the cars I ALWAYS check around for the best price amongst the RELIABLE AND REPUTABLE vendors/dealers. I'll pay a few bucks more to know that I will have an item when promised and customer service that is top notch. I don't have time to deal with blow hards like these guys.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:10 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

When looking for stuff for the cars I ALWAYS check around for the best price amongst the RELIABLE AND REPUTABLE vendors/dealers. I'll pay a few bucks more to know that I will have an item when promised and customer service that is top notch. I don't have time to deal with blow hards like these guys.
Oh I know - I'm the same. I'll readily admit that these guys were not the easiest to deal with. At the time I dealt with them I did find them to be honest and they did follow through on their word. The problem was that they took a long time to do it.

I'd have to have a pretty compelling price to go back to them again. Sadly, they do have the best aero kit price going.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:50 AM
vove
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mfletch
I just (2 days ago) bought a set of OEM MK1 sideskirts from them. The price was almost 1/2 of anywhere else. The sideskirts were $350 plus $99 for the hardware. I have not received them yet. So far, I'm pretty impressed. I searched on this site and they came highly recommended for the aero parts.
I didn't know two strips of 3m tape and a few screws could cost 99 bucks.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:22 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Oh I know - I'm the same. I'll readily admit that these guys were not the easiest to deal with. At the time I dealt with them I did find them to be honest and they did follow through on their word. The problem was that they took a long time to do it.

I'd have to have a pretty compelling price to go back to them again. Sadly, they do have the best aero kit price going.
Hey Wayne, in this vein, can you recommend a place where I can buy some used Sport Design wheels?
Old 01-13-2008, 11:03 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gota911
Hey Wayne, in this vein, can you recommend a place where I can buy some used Sport Design wheels?
Yeah, I know, I have all the luck when it comes to buying things for my Porsche.

... the only place that has been hassle free has been Sunset Porsche.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:12 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wellardmac

... the only place that has been hassle free has been Sunset Porsche.
+1 for Sunset. Everything I have purchased was quick and painless, and every time I called with questions they were equally helpful.

Quick Reply: DPS Motorsports: ripped me on ebay transaction