Sponsored by:

Clanking noise..need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 10:44 AM
sal4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clanking noise..need help

Went to turn on the car this moring when upon its start up the engine started making a raddling noise with some vibration. It sounded like an old catalytic gone bad. Funny thing the car has 25k and is never really driven hard at all.

Do you think there is any chance of this being a minor issue? also dose anyone know of any good Porsche mechanics in Miami?

Thanks in advance
Old 01-12-2008, 10:52 AM
bronston
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default I had a terrible clanking noise.....

I had a terrible noise last week. See this thread. https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/402656-what-happened-to-my-porsche.html

Some one else described the noise of the intermendiate shaft failure as being like a bunch of metal parts in a clothes dryer. That's what mine sounded like. I hope your problem is less severe. Do look under the car for oil, thought.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:00 PM
sal4
Intermediate

I looked underneath and did not see any type of fluids. The check engine light did come. I was told this is good for the sake of diagnosis.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:07 PM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

I honestly hope this turns out to be an easy fix my 996 brother.

Last edited by ppashley; 01-12-2008 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:25 PM
sal4
Intermediate

Thanks for the support. I will keep you posted.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:30 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

i had this same clacking on my old '98 boxster. turned out to be an intermediate shaft bearing failure. i was "good willed" a new engine. good luck and i hope it's nothing serious.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:19 AM
Rick3452
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Mine did same thing. thrust bearing on crank = new motor
Old 01-13-2008, 10:59 AM
sal4
Intermediate

Alright now this is strange, after speaking with the mechanic who ran me through a stretch of senerios which had me nervous. We arrange to have the car towed to the shop next week. Here is were it gets strange, In my curiosity I decide to start the motor (I know this is not the most intelligent thing to do given the situation). So I muster up the courage and start it. Instantly the check engine light turns off and the motor sounds normal. I go and run it around with no other symptoms.

I simply do not understand. Need less to say I am still planning on taking the car in to have the computer read.

Any ideas why this would happen??
Old 01-13-2008, 08:19 PM
bronston
Advanced

Default My experience

I'll elaborate on my experience above. I had been idling at the dealer's carwash waiting my turn. The engine started making the terrible noise and then stalled. I restarted and the noise resumed. Shut it off and did a visual, finding nothing. I then drove about a half mile to the service department. During the drive the noise stopped. Arriving in the service bay the engine seemed to be just purring along. We all continued inspection with flashlights, again finding nothing. The noise never resumed They shut the engine off to be able to close the outside door. I believe that it was after the engine was shut down for the last time, the oil began to flow. The point is; if you have the same problem it might not be finished the failing process.

I hope you get the best answer from the shop. It might turn out to be something trivial.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:20 PM
bronston
Advanced

Default My recent experience

I'll elaborate on my experience above. I had been idling at the dealer's carwash waiting my turn. The engine started making the terrible noise and then stalled. I restarted and the noise resumed. Shut it off and did a visual, finding nothing. I then drove about a half mile to the service department. During the drive the noise stopped. Arriving in the service bay the engine seemed to be just purring along. We all continued inspection with flashlights, again finding nothing. The noise never resumed They shut the engine off to be able to close the outside door. I believe that it was after the engine was shut down for the last time, the oil began to flow. The point is; if you have the same problem it might not be finished the failing process.

I hope you get the best answer from the shop. It might turn out to be something trivial.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:49 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

So what happened ??
Old 01-15-2008, 12:31 AM
bronston
Advanced

Default So what happened

This is the thread I started on this episode. http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...d.php?t=402656

The engine is out of the car and when I left they had not yet split the case. The intermendiate shaft bearing failed. There was some loose material in the cam chaincase. If there is no further damage internally, they will rebuild the engine. I will report as this episode progresses.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:38 AM
Nat
Instructor

Originally Posted by bronston
This is the thread I started on this episode. http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...d.php?t=402656

The engine is out of the car and when I left they had not yet split the case. The intermendiate shaft bearing failed. There was some loose material in the cam chaincase. If there is no further damage internally, they will rebuild the engine. I will report as this episode progresses.
Ouch, another engine kaput.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:02 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Who is going to rebuild it?? Porsche dealer or independent garage?
Old 01-15-2008, 09:13 PM
bronston
Advanced

The dealer is going to do the job. I know most here would prefer a factory rebuild believing it to be better. Maybe, on the other hand mine only has 15,000 miles on it, a reman core could have a lot more.
I have almost two and a half years CPO after the warranty expires in June. I will do an engine oil analysis on the couple of oil changes. I wish it had never happened but there it is.

Quick Reply: Clanking noise..need help