Sponsored by:

996 engine date code location

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 10:22 AM
6ocyclehum
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 engine date code location

Just picked up a '99 C2, and can't find the history from 0-45K miles (has 65K now). I assume it's the original engine, but would like to know for sure. Searched the archives, but could not find anything on engine stamp/date codes. Surely there is one somewhere and you can tell the year of manufacture. Anyone know?
Old 01-10-2008, 10:44 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a SN on the bottom driver side stamped to the right of the 1st header tube (furthest one back away from the bumper). Don't know how to decipher it or what it will tell you. There is no VIN on the engine itself. If the car you are buying has a replacement engine; many would see that as a positive thing not a negative one.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:15 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Here is some info from the PET. Maybe this will help. So your engine number would begin with 66X followed by a 5 digit serial number.

It is my understanding that if the engine has been replaced with a remanufactured engine, there will be a 'AT' at the end of the serial number.

Edited: I had originally had 'X' as the remanufactured engine designation, but it is in fact 'AT'
Attached Images  
Old 01-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 6ocyclehum
Just picked up a '99 C2, and can't find the history from 0-45K miles (has 65K now). I assume it's the original engine, but would like to know for sure. Searched the archives, but could not find anything on engine stamp/date codes. Surely there is one somewhere and you can tell the year of manufacture. Anyone know?
You'd be better off with a remanufactured engine

But I'm not sure the X tells all because my engine was replaced by the Porsche dealer under warranty at 13K miles, but I don't believe I saw any special number/letter designations, but then I don't fully recall and likely will be too lazy to check anytime soon.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:20 PM
Todd Holyoak
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I believe Porsche has replaced the 'X' designation with 'AT', for instance the 2005 built reman engine sitting in my garage has the following serial number M96/03AT66565160.

Do a search over at Renntech, you will find more information on this as well as several pictures of where to look for the serial number.

Todd
Old 01-10-2008, 08:00 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Todd, you are correct. I had forgotten about he AT designation.

I guess my gray matter is failing me!
Old 01-10-2008, 08:36 PM
6ocyclehum
Instructor

Thanks, guys- great info! I will also head over to Renntech and see what I can find. Be nice if the engine turned out to be newer than I thought!
Old 01-10-2008, 10:47 PM
6ocyclehum
Instructor

No "X" or "AT", it's a "W" code...1998 vintage. Well, it's made it this long......but can't help but feel I've got a ticking time bomb back there! Sure is magnificent, though!
Thanks again- solved!
Old 01-11-2008, 01:42 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Tim, do you notice anything missing in this thread.

Hold on, here is a clue:
Just picked up a '99 C2
Clue #2: the missing part has to do with this response:
Originally Posted by gota911
Here is some info from the PET. Maybe this will help. So your engine number would begin with 66X followed by a 5 digit serial number.
Clue #3: a missing #@%$#!

Clue #4: I wonder what a '99 C2 looks like

-td
Old 01-11-2008, 02:37 AM
6ocyclehum
Instructor

Hint: Looks just like the rear pic of yours, but the rear spoiler appears to have come from "south of the border".......

It's squeezed in the garage right now, would make an ugly !@#$#@!

Gotta go to Chicago tomorrow for the weekend, but will get the !@#!$! up next week!

I LOVE it! (it's my first P)

And as Big Gay Al would say : "Thanks for asking!"
Old 01-11-2008, 03:12 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by td873
Tim, do you notice anything missing in this thread.

Hold on, here is a clue:

Clue #2: the missing part has to do with this response:

Clue #3: a missing #@%$#!

Clue #4: I wonder what a '99 C2 looks like

-td
Hint: Looks just like the rear pic of yours, but the rear spoiler appears to have come from "south of the border".......

It's squeezed in the garage right now, would make an ugly !@#$#@!

Gotta go to Chicago tomorrow for the weekend, but will get the !@#!$! up next week!

I LOVE it! (it's my first P)

And as Big Gay Al would say : "Thanks for asking!"
TD, actually he already sounded a little nervous about having a '99 engine in his car that might grenade any minute, so I didn't want to scare him away. By the sound of it, he must have been been lurking for a while, 'cuz he said he would post teh !@#$%^&* pics next week!

This same thing came up in another thread today and another Rennlister wanted to know if I was 1) sick, or 2) on drugs, or 3) had just gotten laid (you can rule out #3, at least until my wife goes out of town ) because I was too easy on a "newbie." Man, I am trying to be a "kinder, gentler" Rennlister and you guys won't let me.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:20 PM
call911s
Rennlist Member

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I am curious as I just found out that my car has a new engine in it. The serial is m96/0318AT66568904. Its an 03 C4S w/41k on it. The documentation from the previous owner didn't have any info on the new engine. From above, I understand it was the most recent "revision" of the 996 motor for 2005, but does the end of the serial number offer any insight as to when it might have been installed?
Old 07-30-2010, 09:32 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,381 Likes on 509 Posts

Nice..Lucky you!!!
Old 07-30-2010, 09:34 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,381 Likes on 509 Posts

You should be ok, the motor has made it past the danger zone....most 99s grenaded during low miles.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:08 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by call911s
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I am curious as I just found out that my car has a new engine in it. The serial is m96/0318AT66568904. Its an 03 C4S w/41k on it. The documentation from the previous owner didn't have any info on the new engine. From above, I understand it was the most recent "revision" of the 996 motor for 2005, but does the end of the serial number offer any insight as to when it might have been installed?
No. The serial number only tells you a bit about the engine, and the year it was built. Earlier posts cover this so I won't repeat the info here.

My info is the serial number is a sequential number applied when the engine built not when it was installed in a car.

If you want to know when the engine was installed if you know the dealer where the work was done a call to the dealer with the VIN of the car should have this info in your hands.

My experience is if you approach a dealership with the right frame of mind it will share with you when the car was serviced. You should avoid asking for any details about the owner. All you want to know about is the car.

If you don't know the dealership but know the area the car spent time in -- based on perhaps a CarFax report -- you can just start calling Porsche dealers in the area until you hit the one that serviced the car.

If the engine installed by an indy...well, I have no experience tracking down any servicing done by indy shops.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: 996 engine date code location