Sponsored by:

Where to go from here? Lots of issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 04:41 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
I think the poster was congratulating you for your patience, saying you'd be too hard on yourself to call yourself **** about it.
Actually he was making fun of the 996's potential to lose an engine. It was more of a wise crack.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:46 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I can add is they're are plenty of us reading this thread, feeling for you, and wishing you the best! The only difference between UFO and many of us is luck, IMHO. The best PPO in the world can miss a major failure "about" to happen. I think I speak for almost all of us wishing you only the very best.
Keep us posted...I'm hoping there's something that will come up I can help you with!
Old 01-09-2008, 07:43 PM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

Keep your head up, brother - Once she's sorted out, you'll love her!
Old 01-12-2008, 04:25 PM
UFO007
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, so I disconnected the sway bar. Not that. Got the car on the ramps and it's the bushing at the pointy end of the A arm (nice description, huh?). I sprayed the crap out of it with Wurth's, again, and it didn't make a squeak. Got it off the ramps and sat on the fender: nothing. Pulled it out of the garage and squeak, squeak, squeal.... Bummer.

Did manage to adjust the lights after I read the manual and found the right hole. It's still light so I can't report back if it made a difference.

Got some touch up paint from some online place for the few scratches that are bugging me and it's too dark . I'm considering having the car repainted. Hell, I've thrown so much money at it already, what's a few thousand more?

Discovered my fenders have been rolled. It's not a perfect job but they didn't botch it by any means. Had to take a baseball bat to a few places. Starting to think this car has seen more track time than street time. Oh well, it's not like I don't beat on it too .

So, it's probably going to sit again for a few weeks until I get the A-arm and install it. I just don't like driving a squeaky car. However, I'm also thinking of swapping out the suspension too, so might just wait to do it all in one foul swoop. I still have the Lancer for now so it's not a huge inconvenience to have the car down for such a long period of time. Really do need to sell the Lancer though to help pay some bills.

There's light at the end of the tunnel. It's pretty dim, but it's there.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:26 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Amazing what the manual tells you RE: headlights. I'm sure the manual says other stuff about the car too eh? I wonder.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:29 PM
UFO007
Instructor

Originally Posted by ArneeA
Amazing what the manual tells you RE: headlights. I'm sure the manual says other stuff about the car too eh? I wonder.
Oh, I've already learned my lesson there after arguing that the 996 doesn't have rear fog lights.... I tried looking for 'squeak' in the index but it isn't listed .
Old 01-12-2008, 04:58 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I can say is that I hope this works out for you. Best of luck. Find a trustworthy Indy to give it a close look.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:09 PM
apterr
Racer

UFO,
Good luck man. Hope you get it back into the shape you bought it. Keep updating us. Best wishes.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:24 PM
UFO007
Instructor

Originally Posted by apterr
UFO,
Good luck man. Hope you get it back into the shape you bought it. Keep updating us. Best wishes.
Haha, this is the shape I bought it .
Old 01-13-2008, 07:30 AM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 9 Posts

UFO, pretty amazing stuff. You are very persevering and honestly you have been really practical about the whole thing. Congrats on the fantastic attitude bud, you my friend, are a true enthusiast (and a sucker for punishment) But seriously, a couple of your posts made me laugh- yo have been very, very pragmatic and a little tongue in cheek sometimes- your comment about repainting even made me chuckle... seriously hope you get it all sorted.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:45 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you should take out a loan....and get all your problems fixed at once!!! Find a good independent and get it done.....the way you are working you are going to HATE your car and will never enjoy it at all.

it sucks to have to pay, but you already put in 12.5 put in some more and start enjoying...I know it is easy for me to say... I spend about 10k in changing things I didn't like visually.....you got to just bite the bullet.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:44 PM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

I feel for you too - after I put the motor in my car, my buddy stopped by his indie and met a guy with a 99 996 who had almost 200K on the clock and had never done any work but brakes, oil, and alternator. He LOVES putting that in my face. My theory is that guy is lucky - damn lucky. His theory is that mine was the exception.

good luck getting it all straightened out. Give it one bird for me in the morning to start your day out right!
Old 01-13-2008, 07:05 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Somebody may have mentioned this book already, "The Gold Plated Porsche". It's a fun read. Here's a quote from the preface:

"I took to explaining that I was simply spending two years and $70,000 to make a brand-new 1983 Porsche that would never in my lifetime be worth more than twenty grand, tops. It was like the MasterCard commercials: "Car, $10,500. Parts, $59,900. Experience, priceless." A few people got it, most didn't. This book is for the people who Get It. "
Old 01-13-2008, 07:22 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

UFO,

I really feel you about this car. The more I read about your follies, the more I am apt to stand by my first thought. As a result, let this be a fine lesson to those thinking about buying a used Porsche.

When buying a used Porsche, always, ALWAYS have the car checked by a qualified technician. Get the PPI. Pay the $200-300. It will save you a hassle like this one.

Terribly sorry for you UFO. Truly. I learned my hard lesson too. My 1st Porsche looked fantastic. And I bought it without getting it checked. After buying, I learned the car was stored for 5 years in a heated garage. Upon simply doing an oil change, I learned what I bought was not a good as I first thought and had to spend around $4000 to fix it. Engine seals, connecting rod bearings, CV boots, etc. It was a hard lesson learned.

While our friend UFO has had to learn the hard one, let's hope this lesson can reach out to others.

Good luck...
C.

Quick Reply: Where to go from here? Lots of issues