996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Track doods: 2-piece rotors. Found some interesting info

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 07:20 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Chad...good point. I'm still on the edge on if I'm going to run a 2 piece rotor or not but I didn't realize that PFC didn't offer rears. I've seen AP's on a 996 but with AP calipers as well so I'm not sure if they offer a stock replacement parts or not.

Subscribed for more info...esp since I'm in need of at least front rotors before I hit the track again when it warms up.

Andy
Old 01-07-2008, 07:34 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Chad, I may be interested
Old 01-28-2008, 11:11 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Bumping to see if there are any updates on this product?

Andy
Old 01-28-2008, 11:39 AM
Big6Dad
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be interested....
Old 01-28-2008, 10:51 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check with HRP World, they can probably put together ones for you. IMO, if you are not having problems with the stock ones, I would spend the money somewhere else. I run Bremo GT3R 2 pc fronts and they work great, last 5x what stock was. I switched because I was only getting 5 days out of the stock cup front rotors
Old 01-30-2008, 10:51 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am gonna ask a loaded question here... I really don't see my brakes as a weak link in the car at all on the track... Already have the Cup air scoops, SRF Fluid and Pagid pads.. Brakes are solid and fade free lap after hot lap.

I haven't even so much as fiddled with my brakes in over 6 months with lots of back to back track weekends. (I do check them of course)...

The rotors are lasting a pretty long time for me and are just starting to show signs of needing to be replaced (15+ track days)... I don't see why I would spend 3x the price of stock rotors for a 2 piece unit when the replacement discs for the 2 piece still cost more than a whole new set of stock rotors? Anyone else thinking this way?

Are these rotors even 1.5x better than the stock units... just looking for some helpful data here.

We are talking about DE usage not trying to win a trophy right?
Old 01-30-2008, 11:10 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Paul 996
I am gonna ask a loaded question here... I really don't see my brakes as a weak link in the car at all on the track... Already have the Cup air scoops, SRF Fluid and Pagid pads.. Brakes are solid and fade free lap after hot lap.

I haven't even so much as fiddled with my brakes in over 6 months with lots of back to back track weekends. (I do check them of course)...

The rotors are lasting a pretty long time for me and are just starting to show signs of needing to be replaced (15+ track days)... I don't see why I would spend 3x the price of stock rotors for a 2 piece unit when the replacement discs for the 2 piece still cost more than a whole new set of stock rotors? Anyone else thinking this way?

Are these rotors even 1.5x better than the stock units... just looking for some helpful data here.

We are talking about DE usage not trying to win a trophy right?
Rotor wear is not the prominent point to 2-piece rotors. The point is much less weight and a reduction of heat transfer. Primarily to the wheel bearings.

C.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:12 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996
Rotor wear is not the prominent point to 2-piece rotors. The point is much less weight and a reduction of heat transfer. Primarily to the wheel bearings.

C.
+1
Old 01-30-2008, 11:32 AM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

C.
I'll disagree. The weight difference is minimal and the wheel bearings on the 996 MK II's, 997's and GT3 are not a real weak point. The real issue for those of us racing and really working the car is wear. As modifications go, this is one of the last ones I would recommend.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:49 PM
smankow
Pro

Chad, who told you that the pads don't clear the hats? OG Racing has told me that my current pads would fit the PF rotors without any fitment issues.

Dell, what's the difference between the PF97 and 01 pads? I track my 03 996.

Steve
Old 01-30-2008, 01:55 PM
smankow
Pro

as for wear, I've been replacing my front rotors after only a few DE's due to excessive cracking. I wait until the cracks get close to the edges or connect. The PF rotors are supposed to last much longer than the OEM, which is why the replacement disks are still more expensive than the OEM's.

Steve
Old 01-30-2008, 02:14 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by smankow
Chad, who told you that the pads don't clear the hats? OG Racing has told me that my current pads would fit the PF rotors without any fitment issues.

Dell, what's the difference between the PF97 and 01 pads? I track my 03 996.

Steve

My last car. PF proly got the combo down. Based on the photos of the most recent set for Porsche...this looks to be the case.

Glad they did...it was a PITA.

C.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:25 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ed Newman
I'll disagree. The weight difference is minimal and the wheel bearings on the 996 MK II's, 997's and GT3 are not a real weak point. The real issue for those of us racing and really working the car is wear. As modifications go, this is one of the last ones I would recommend.
With all due respect, I disagree...the percentages are around 12% lighter due to the materials used. Hats alone, made from quality aluminum alloys are perfect examples. Take all 4 corners into account...yes, it is a benefit. But, don't take my word for it.

http://www.racingbrake.com/v/main/tw...p?display=back

There are other information sites out there that state the same thing. In addition, most pure racing cars run 2-piece rotors...the benefits on heat transfer and cooling are by far the largest advantages along with better handling.

C.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:30 PM
BrandX
Instructor

With all due respect, I disagree...the percentages are around 12% lighter due to the materials used. Hats alone, made from quality aluminum alloys are perfect examples. Take all 4 corners into account...yes, it is a benefit. But, don't take my word for it.

http://www.racingbrake.com/v/main/tw...p?display=back

There are other information sites out there that state the same thing. In addition, most pure racing cars run 2-piece rotors...the benefits on heat transfer and cooling are by far the largest advantages along with better handling.

C.
Probably a foolish question, but isn't this what the "floating rotors" on any respecatble sport bike are?
Old 01-31-2008, 07:59 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Guys, this really isn't difficult once you do the PROPER research. The 2-piece design allows for better brakes, is lighter, reduction of hear transfer, etc, etc, etc..

With respect to the PFC setup I have.........The real plus comes from LONGEVITY. Sure, my initial investment was $500 each up front and then $300 a set of rotor replacements after that BUT they outlasting 3 times as long as a CUP rotor that I was paying $300 for. Doesn't take a math wizard to see the savings.

Quick Reply: Track doods: 2-piece rotors. Found some interesting info