Sponsored by:

Cab owner to be has a top problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 10:08 PM
danit
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cab owner to be has a top problem

I currently have the 2003 Cab with 8500 miles on it to take to Ruf tomorrow for a PPI. So far I really like the car, but I opened the top and now it won't close. The latch tongue repeatedly latches and relatches not allowing the warning light to go out and leaving the rear windows open. I read that someone else had the same exact problem saying the hydraulic fluid could be low.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/362409-top-doesn-t-close-all-the-way-help.html

I checked the level and it barely indicates on the stick when hot. I'm only guessing that there is only one hydraulic tank that would operate the top too and it is the one in the engine bay. Unfortunately I have no CHF11 and CHF 7.1 does not mix, so I don't no if this will take care of the problem. Is there a way to close the back windows before I can take it to Ruf more comfortably? The top looks as closed as it can get.

So far not so good on this car, but the problem could be simple.

Thanks,

Dan
Old 01-03-2008, 04:06 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Well... if the car thinks that the top is not "up" then it won't let you operate the window switches for the rear windows. If the latch is not perfectly latching, I'm not sure I'd want to be driving the car, at least not forward.

I guess worse case you could have the car towed to Ruf and they can add some fluid, if that's the problem. Hey, if nothing else, it's a negotiating point for a discount!

Best of luck,

Michael

('02 cab)
Old 01-03-2008, 07:08 PM
Troy R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had a top issue last year on my 2000 C4. It would only go up partially. Thinking it was the hydraulic fluid, I took it to the shop. Turns out 4 weeks later and $2,800 it was some switches or transistors - I forget, but it was definatley a pain in the ***. Also, I had the remote top mod's installed and the shops (both an Indie and Sunset) stated that was likely the cause - which I doubt because I would think other people would have had similar problems and posted them on here. In any event, what I thought was a simple and minor fix turned into a huge headache. Good luck and post back when you find what the problem is.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:15 AM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Put your index finger inside the hole where the cab top latches to the windshield - there is a little switch in there and if you activate the switch (effectively tricking the car into thinking the top is up) you can put the rear windows up.

As for why the top isn't working? Got me. Good luck
Old 01-04-2008, 10:19 AM
danit
Advanced

Thanks for the suggestions. Besides the top problems turns out the car had been wrecked before and had a replacement hood, left light, etc. Oh well I'll keep looking.

Thanks,

Dan
Old 01-06-2008, 08:49 AM
Idocdes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Troy R
I had a top issue last year on my 2000 C4. It would only go up partially. Thinking it was the hydraulic fluid, I took it to the shop. Turns out 4 weeks later and $2,800 it was some switches or transistors - I forget, but it was definatley a pain in the ***. Also, I had the remote top mod's installed and the shops (both an Indie and Sunset) stated that was likely the cause - which I doubt because I would think other people would have had similar problems and posted them on here. In any event, what I thought was a simple and minor fix turned into a huge headache. Good luck and post back when you find what the problem is.
I had a major problem with Smart/Remote top. Never worked as seamlessly as I expected and then one month ago, kapow, all the warning lights were going off, couldn't raise the roof, and the best is the car wouldn't turn off. I could take the key out and the car would still run. After playing around I figured out that if I depressed the brake the car would turn off. Dealership had the car for a couple of days before they diagnosed the cause;Smart Top. I think that bypassing the Porsche installed safeties is ultimately a mistake.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:17 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Idocdes
I had a major problem with Smart/Remote top. Never worked as seamlessly as I expected and then one month ago, kapow, all the warning lights were going off, couldn't raise the roof, and the best is the car wouldn't turn off. I could take the key out and the car would still run. After playing around I figured out that if I depressed the brake the car would turn off. Dealership had the car for a couple of days before they diagnosed the cause;Smart Top. I think that bypassing the Porsche installed safeties is ultimately a mistake.
i had the same problem with remote roof:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/272943-help-can-t-shut-off-engine.html
Old 01-07-2008, 02:41 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem with my top.....and a little later a right side cable snapped. The repair cost me about 300 bucks....the shop told me the top needed alignment and that was the reason the cab didn't close.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:39 AM
apterr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the Hydraulic fluid for the cab top is not the system found in the engine compartment. Search previous threads and you will find that it is behind the rear seats. A couple of hour diy project but saves a lot of $ from taking it in to the dealer. Good luck.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:25 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Also.... if this isn't resolved by now, read the manual. Apparently you can totally raise or lower the top with just some allen keys and such for when there's a major system failure.

Michael

Quick Reply: Cab owner to be has a top problem