Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Ever had the dead battery/locked trunk problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008 | 11:31 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by chsu74
I just replaced my BMW with the 49-DL yesterday. It cost $95 with core trade in and they are big batteries... How much was 48-DL?
At the Autozone near my house both Duralast batteries (48-DL & 49-DL) were $74.95. With core trade and tax it was right at $80.
Old 01-03-2008 | 11:38 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tippy
If my memory serves, the latch can not be physically pulled with the door closed. What I am confused is you are saying with the engine running or the battery has zero charge, the lever will not open the trunk? So, there is a mechanism that disables the lever? Because I dont remember seeing anything around the latch itself when I pulled the front bumper off?
Correct, and yes. (The manual actually explicitly deals with how to get the trunk open when the battery is dead.)
Old 01-03-2008 | 11:41 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Huh, never knew that. Learn something everyday.
Old 01-03-2008 | 11:48 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MikeZ
Advice please...

My battery is 4 years old and never a problem. Is it a good idea to replace it BEFORE I have to (and while I can drive the car)? From what I've been reading, 4 years is about it for these batteries.
Mike, that may not be a bad idea, because winters are hard on batteries. However, if you are not noticing any change in battery performance, you may not need to replace it.

I have had 4 or 5 batteries crap out on me over the years and here are some first hand observations about the difference between "maintenance free" (sealed) and "non-maintenance free" (you can/should add water to the cells). These observations are based upon cars being driven almost every day, so these observations may be different from "garage queen" cars (and we ALL know who I am specifically referring to here, don't we!).

The good thing about non "maintenance free" batteries is that they usually have given me a warning (slow or sluggish cranking power) that they were near the end of the life cycle. This happened to my battery about a week ago.

However, "maintenance free" batteries are not that way. They just die suddenly with no warning. I have had two "maintenance free" batteries do this, which I thought was quite rude!

Last edited by gota911; 01-03-2008 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-03-2008 | 11:59 AM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

I also just replaced my battery with a Duralast 48-DL from Autozone.
Great battery at a great price.
875 cranking amps @32f, 700 CCA, RC=110 min. 37lbs. $74.94
These are the same specs as the Sears 48, except the Sears weighs 41lbs and retails for $129.99.
The only downside to the 48-DL is that it has only 24 month Full Replacement Warranty. The Sears and Advance Auto 48's have 36month Full Replacement.
Old 01-03-2008 | 01:14 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

1999-2000 has mechanical levers in the door sills. When the door is closed you cannot raise the levers.

When you set the alarm a metal cam operated by a solenoid rotates into position under the levers, so you cannot raise the levers. If the car battery dies while the alarm is set the cam is still in the lock position, so you cannot raise the levers.
Old 01-03-2008 | 01:48 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gota911
At the Autozone near my house both Duralast batteries (48-DL & 49-DL) were $74.95. With core trade and tax it was right at $80.
Interesting Tim.. Autozone does not have uniform pricing. I may have to call several stores for pricing next time. IIRC, 48-DL was cheaper than 49-DL in my store by about $10 and still more expensive than your prices.
Old 01-03-2008 | 08:09 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by chsu74
Interesting Tim.. Autozone does not have uniform pricing. I may have to call several stores for pricing next time. IIRC, 48-DL was cheaper than 49-DL in my store by about $10 and still more expensive than your prices.
Most national chains have regional pricing strategies. This allows them to adjust their prices based upon regional pay scales, distribution costs, real estate costs, and pricing structures of their competition.

In general, all of the aforementioned costs would be higher on the east and west coast than in the central US, so east and west coast pricing will reflect the higher operating costs. While the gross margin (markup) percent would be higher than in the central US, the net profit probably would be comparable across the entire country.
Old 01-04-2008 | 09:23 PM
hdtwncam88
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tool Pants
1999-2000 has mechanical levers in the door sills. When the door is closed you cannot raise the levers.

When you set the alarm a metal cam operated by a solenoid rotates into position under the levers, so you cannot raise the levers. If the car battery dies while the alarm is set the cam is still in the lock position, so you cannot raise the levers.
im having this problem now...HOW DO I GET IN !! Owners manual is in truck and both levers are locked tight ....
Old 01-04-2008 | 09:32 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hdtwncam88
im having this problem now...HOW DO I GET IN !! Owners manual is in truck and both levers are locked tight ....

Gotta check the manual to make sure, but there is some sort of latch mechanism located toward the front of the front-left fender well. There is some sort of access hole that you can get to it, but you have to peel back the protective covering. Someone who knows can tell you for sure.
Old 01-04-2008 | 09:34 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by hdtwncam88
Both levers are locked tight? With mine, once I unlocked the car with the key, just the trunk lever was locked.

Hmmm. Well, there's an emergency release cable behind the right front wheel well. It would open the trunk for you, and you could attach jumper cables to the battery, allowing you to disarm the alarm and get everything else opened up. Try a search for details. I'd do it for you, but wifey is waiting in the driveway...
Old 01-06-2008 | 11:07 AM
heelix
Instructor

Just had to do this a couple days ago. (go ahead and snicker) Parked it in reverse, and had a couple weeks where I was out of town. That, and it was -4F at the time.

The key manually unlocked the door. I popped open the panel by my left foot and attached the battery charger. I figured it would charge up in a few hours... and I was wrong. It had just enough juice to pop the trunk and was not allowing the 6A charger bring it back.

Once I popped the hood, I had access to the battery. Jumped the car, pulled it into my garage, and charged up the battery.
Old 01-06-2008 | 11:46 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by heelix
Once I popped the hood, I had access to the battery. Jumped the car, pulled it into my garage, and charged up the battery.
Just a word to the wise... if you can get to the engine compartment, that is by far the better way to jump the car. There's a post for the negative clamp to the right of the strike plate for the hood latch. The post for the positive clamp is behind a little black plastic door a bit north of there. Attaching cables back there will get everything working. It's all in the manual.
Old 01-06-2008 | 11:54 AM
hdtwncam88
Instructor

OK HERE'S THE DEAL !! On my 99 the levers are mechanical not electric, BUT when you lock the car with the remote a locking pin locks the release levers. I unlocked the door with the key (not remote) cause battery was dead, open panel on fuse cover, used a phillips head screw driver and removed the 4 screws holding the fuse panel in and WALLLA !! There lies the cable for the hood latch...quick tug on the cable, popped the hood, removed battery dust cover installed charger and problem solved !!
Old 01-06-2008 | 10:24 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gota911
Most national chains have regional pricing strategies. This allows them to adjust their prices based upon regional pay scales, distribution costs, real estate costs, and pricing structures of their competition.

In general, all of the aforementioned costs would be higher on the east and west coast than in the central US, so east and west coast pricing will reflect the higher operating costs. While the gross margin (markup) percent would be higher than in the central US, the net profit probably would be comparable across the entire country.

it is colder in CT then NC: my guess is they just charge more in regions that "need" batteries more often?

Quick Reply: Ever had the dead battery/locked trunk problem?