Sponsored by:

Noob console switch questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 12:42 AM
danit
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob console switch questions

I found a 2003 Cab for sale with 8.3K miles on it. Besides the top switch being pushed into the horseshoe there is also no PSM switch. Wouldn't a 2003 have a PSM switch? The console switches don't seem like they would be a problem do they just pop back in? It looks a little dusty possibly parked with the top down for awhile. Other than that it looks like a beautiful car.

Thanks,

Dan

2002 M Roadster - looking...

Name:  2434972_19.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  54.7 KB
Name:  2434972_26.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  49.2 KB
Name:  2434972_36.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  49.2 KB
Old 12-31-2007, 05:02 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

thats wierd, maybe you should look at the option sticker under the hood... it should of been standard. PSM is usually the first button top left of the horsehoe!
Old 12-31-2007, 07:14 AM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

PSM is an option, not standard equipment.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:30 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by danit
I found a 2003 Cab for sale with 8.3K miles on it. Besides the top switch being pushed into the horseshoe there is also no PSM switch. Wouldn't a 2003 have a PSM switch? The console switches don't seem like they would be a problem do they just pop back in? It looks a little dusty possibly parked with the top down for awhile. Other than that it looks like a beautiful car.

Thanks,

Dan

2002 M Roadster - looking...

Attachment 242923
Attachment 242924
Attachment 242927
Danit, first of all, Welcome to Rennlist! That is a nice looking car you are considering.

As Gaspasser19 said, PSM was an option on n/a 996's. It was not standard until the 997's were introduced. My 2004 C2 does not have PSM.

I don't have a Cab, but I think the missing switch could be the switch to raise/lower the Cab Top. You are correct, the switches are easily popped in/out from the upper center console (a.k.a. horseshoe). You can slide a plastic spatula (to minimize scratching) behind the lower end of the horseshoe and pop the plastic clips loose. Then work you way around the horseshoe until it is completely off. I am just guessing here but it could be that the switch came loose and fell behind the horseshoe. If the switch is broken and will not snap back into the horseshoe securely, you can get a replacement switch from a Porsche dealer for about $30 to $35.

How much are they asking for the car? I am guessing that this car is not at a Porsche dealer, because I can't imagine them showing this car with a missing switch. Is this a private sale or used car lot? If you are seriously considering this car, get a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) completed on the car. It will cost you $250 - $300, but could save you big $$$$ if there is something wrong with it.

Give us a little more information about the car and we can help you determine if it is a decent asking price. If you supply us with the option codes from the sticker under the hood, we can also tell you what options the car has on it.

Again, welcome to Rennlist.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:04 AM
danit
Advanced

Thanks for the info Tim. I'm going to go look at the car today. You are correct that this is not at a Porsche dealer, but within an auto group that does have a large dealer in Dallas. That kind of makes me question why they didn't send it there and get it certified. The PPI will solve that question. They have it listed for 53,900 which is the high end. Take a look at it here.

http://park-place-auto-group.ebizaut...px?iid=2434972

Thanks,

Dan
Old 12-31-2007, 10:11 AM
MikeZ
Instructor

I wouldn't considerr a Pcar without PSM. Not worth the risk if you have little experience with this car.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:13 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That is super-low mileage, but I was at an indy retailer/repair place this w/e picking up an oil filter and saw a 2002 black cab with 35K miles and an asking price of 44,000. Owning a 2002 cab myself I was a little discouraged to see that kind of price. But it is winter, and cabs don't get a premium this time of year.

Michael
Old 12-31-2007, 10:14 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeZ
I wouldn't considerr a Pcar without PSM. Not worth the risk if you have little experience with this car.
Pfffffffffft. He's not (or shouldn't be) tracking a cab, so as long as you act like a reponsible mature adult, you don't need PSM.

Michael
Old 12-31-2007, 10:42 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeZ
C'mon, its a 996 not an Aircooled 911, who needs PSM the thing drives like a Honda
Old 12-31-2007, 11:01 AM
danit
Advanced

Wow, interesting point about PSM. I do fall into the little experience with a rear engine handling cars or more like none. After reading about how the system works that would have been an easy check box on the order sheet. Oh well. The DSC on the M Roadster doesn't seem to kick in too much. This is what makes finding a car half the fun.

Dan
Old 12-31-2007, 11:12 AM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, interesting point about PSM. I do fall into the little experience with a rear engine handling cars or more like none. After reading about how the system works that would have been an easy check box on the order sheet. Oh well. The DSC on the M Roadster doesn't seem to kick in too much. This is what makes finding a car half the fun.
Good grief, it's heavy in the *** but it isn't like it wants to swap ends with every touch of the brake or turn of the wheel! PSM really isn't needed, or even desirable as long as you pay a modicum of attention to what is going on around you.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:50 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Dan
Dan, my 2004 C2 does not have PSM and this is my first Porsche, so I had not had experience driving a rear engine car since I owned a VW Beetle (the original one) years ago. No problems with control. Would it be nice to have? Yes. Is it truly necessary? IMO, no.

It is a nice looking and seeming well appointed car, but $53,900 is very high!
Old 12-31-2007, 12:14 PM
jsmirand
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What makes no sense to me is why the dealer wouldn't have replaced the obviously missing switch. and the dealers add states: "nd is in pristine condition inside and out". WTF is pristine about having the cab top switch punched into the dashboard?

I'd certainly get a thorough inspection, and have them address the switch before purchasing. If you are paying ~$50k for a car from a dealer, all basic functions should be operational.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:47 PM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a cab too and that broken switch is indeed for controlling the top. Looks like it's working though since the pics show both top up and down. Eventhough it's very easy to replace, you should definitely ask Park-Place to replace it for you, should not be a problem. You should be able to ask them for full maintenance records, Carmax, PPI and fix any small things are not working if you are serious about buying this car. Good luck...
Old 12-31-2007, 01:50 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't worry about the switch. Boxster owners also sometimes push the top switch too hard and it pops out and behind the trim. The switch is still hooked up to the electrical connector. Just remove the trim and snap the switch back in.

Owners also hit the spoiler switch with their foot and it falls behind the fuse box, but that is another story.

Quick Reply: Noob console switch questions