Sponsored by:

GT3 vs Audi R8 - Merry Christmas Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 09:13 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i don't know what the hype is all about regrading the R8. aluminum chassis yet it is a freaking pig of a "sports car". 8 cylinders, 4.16L and only 420HP. the gt3 is 3k lbs, 6 cylinders w/ 3.6L and 415HP. the r8's performance specs are quite underwhelming. if you only consider looks then it's all about preference. the r8 has only ONE good view... front 3/4. HATE the side burns. the r8 is an above average car but it is NOT an awesome car.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:16 PM
TAILWAG
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by riad
There maybe some truth here, but alas the GT3 is a rock star and the R8 is on its knees like a good groupie.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:31 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by karlooz
i HATE the side burns.
Me too -- well said!
Old 12-25-2007, 09:23 AM
nosub
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jake Ok
It seems like you never like to take a positive spin on this forum...LOL
I'm sure some other members here will agree.
There has been is alot of hype about the R8 being a new and the first supercar that Audi has put on the streets. I thought us P car guys will get a kick out of this video clip.
Take a chill pill and MERRY Christmas to you.
2nd that... would say more but it is Christmas...
Old 12-25-2007, 11:14 AM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

I like the R8 and for daily driving would gladly take it but as you can see if the track is your game then go with the GT3. What I am waiting for is the test on the new Corvette, I am guessing it will smoke the GT3 - but time will tell! Anyway will stick with my C4 Cab as there is nothing that can touch it for the money in my book.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:21 AM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 209 Posts

As usual, Riad cuts to the core of the matter, accurately describing the R8 as a kneepad-wearing groupie to the rock star GT3.

I enjoy Jeremy Clarkson's videos, but I don't understand his virulent antipathy (yeah, I got a dictionary for Xmas) towards all things Porsche. Maybe a german chick once schtuped him.

One of my favorite Clarkson moments was when he had a guy with a .50 caliber Browning open up a Prius like a can of discount cat food.
Old 12-25-2007, 03:02 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
they both have a unique value to offer, i dont' understand why some of you always make this an either/or battle since it's likely you aren't on porsche's payroll or a family member.

i love the R8, and i love the gt3. audi should be applauded for their accomplishment.
Wow, didn't know I needed to be on the payroll to have an opinion. Maybe you're right. We should love all cars and appreciate their significant value to our esteemed society. In fact, who's up for a campfire and a round of kumbaya?

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 12-26-2007, 01:24 PM
charlesml3
Instructor

What I am waiting for is the test on the new Corvette, I am guessing it will smoke the GT3
Man, how many times have we heard that on this forum?

-Charles
Old 12-26-2007, 01:35 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by porschedog
I enjoy Jeremy Clarkson's videos, but I don't understand his virulent antipathy (yeah, I got a dictionary for Xmas) towards all things Porsche. Maybe a german chick once schtuped him.
I've never thought that JC was biased against Porsches at all. Indeed, he raved about the club coupe sport against the M6 and the Aston a while back.

As for the Audi, I like the shape, the interior, and the smoothness, but those "sideburns" are appropriately awful. I think that you can get them painted the color of the car, but I've not seen one dressed as so.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:09 PM
gregorycarl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

they both have a unique value to offer, i dont' understand why some of you always make this an either/or battle since it's likely you aren't on porsche's payroll or a family member.

i love the R8, and i love the gt3. audi should be applauded for their accomplishment.
I am on the payroll my man. It's called stock. Go Porsche!
http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2005/0704/062.html
Old 12-26-2007, 05:53 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It seemed to me the Stig was pretty much allowing the R8 to keep it close. I think if he wanted he could have totally dusted that thing. I still love the R8, but it appears if they both went all out the GT3 at least on the track would be way ahead if both were going all out. Maybe I am wrong and he wasn't allowing it to be close, but it certainly appeared that way.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:10 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with the observation/opinion voiced by Ben. Both cars are desirable and comparable in concept as high performance sports cars. I have a 911, but see the R8 as a car I'd like to own, too.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:44 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nycebo
I've never thought that JC was biased against Porsches at all. Indeed, he raved about the club coupe sport against the M6 and the Aston a while back.

As for the Audi, I like the shape, the interior, and the smoothness, but those "sideburns" are appropriately awful. I think that you can get them painted the color of the car, but I've not seen one dressed as so.

I'm with nycebo here...the contrasting blades/sideburns are not to my liking and if I were to order an R8, I'd have them painted to match the color of the car.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:47 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by VGM911
I'm with nycebo here...the contrasting blades/sideburns are not to my liking and if I were to order an R8, I'd have them painted to match the color of the car.
+1 I have said the same thing all along when I first saw the car, pictures and in person. Will see it again at the Auto Show in San Jose next month.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:08 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The R8 needs to be compared to the 997 C4S not to the GT3. Even in this comparison (see below link), the tester's conclusion is: "the disenchanting of the Legend is once more postponed".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK9eZNC95Ww

Quick Reply: GT3 vs Audi R8 - Merry Christmas Porsche