Sponsored by:

Creaking in steering column

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 01:09 AM
Kolshak
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Creaking in steering column

I get a nasty creaking sound from my steering column when turning the wheel at slow speeds. It sounds like plastic binding together and it’s definitely coming from steering column and not the suspension. It only happens in cold weather and it’s very annoying .
Seems like a fairly common problem because a search turned up several threads asking about this exact problem. The most likely culprit I found was a “faulty spring in the steering assembly”. Does anyone know the name of the offending spring and if it’s a DIY for the mechanically challenged?
Thanks Rennlist
Old 12-20-2007, 03:38 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same problem, it happened when my shop changed the 4-spoke into a 3-spoke...it happens only once in a while and doesn't bother me enough to do something about it.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:28 AM
DanDotDan
Pro

There's a similar question in the tech section of the latest Porsche Panorama. The tech person strongly recommended against a DIY fix because of the explosives located in the air bag.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:01 AM
Kolshak
Racer

Originally Posted by DanDotDan
The tech person strongly recommended against a DIY fix because of the explosives located in the air bag.

Enough said about the possibility of a DIY - no need to risk life & limb... did they mention the name of the spring or specify the cause of the problem?
Old 12-20-2007, 11:27 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

The issue is the clock spring under the column cover. The noise is the spring rubbing the cover. The normal fix is to take loose the screws that hold the cover on and shift the cover so it is no longer rubbing. If it does it for a long period of time, it can stretch the spring. Once the spring is stretched, it has to be replaced. Unfortunately, they don't replace just the spring. It is part of the switch cluster that includes the turn signal, computer and wiper switches. I found out the details when mine was replaced about 2 years ago under warranty.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:12 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

the steering wheel in my m3 creaked lightly but didn't impact driveability so i ignored it (and i could've had it covered by the factory warranty)

good luck
Old 12-20-2007, 08:52 PM
red996
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 65 Posts

Are you 100% sure it's coming from the steering column? I had a similar creaking noise when I would turn the wheel at low speed. I traced the problem to my upper strut mounts. They are rubber. Maybe explore this option. Pop your trunk, turn on your car but don't start it. You can then have someone turn the wheel while you listen in the trunk. I ended up lubing the strut mounts after jacking up the car so you can get the lube sprayed in there. Check it out!!
Old 12-21-2007, 01:18 AM
Kolshak
Racer

Thanks for the info guys. I'm 99% certain it's in the column but I'll stick my ear in the trunk for a minute. Boy, that's a real pisser if the entire cluster has to be replaced.

Quick Reply: Creaking in steering column