996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Driving in the snow w/ summer tires?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 11:15 AM
thorin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving in the snow w/ summer tires?

So I clearly waited too long to order my winter tires. Getting them today and now I have to drive the 15km's to get these suckers installed... this may be a stupid question, but is it safe to drive that distance w/ the summers on? or should i be removing the tires in my garage and get the winters mounted seperately?
Old 12-17-2007, 11:22 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Depends on the conditions and the outside tempature. If you drive to the tore shop, how are you going to get the summer tires back home?
Old 12-17-2007, 11:24 AM
ML
Instructor

Given the dump of snow we just got (I see you live in Markham), I would wait a couple of days until things clear out.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:38 PM
MikeZ
Instructor

Driving on snow with summer tires is just asking for trouble. Been there, done that.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:41 PM
carpundit
Three Wheelin'

Good practice in catching a spin, though.

Or not.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:45 PM
Jake Ok
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't do it....not in the weather condition we had over the weekend. I couldn't even get mine out of the drive way to have my snow tires put on. I have had them im my garage for 2 weeks now. waiting for the snow and salt to clear out before taking the P car out.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:46 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Due winter tires really make that much difference? I only drove in snow once in Denver in the mountains, I felt very planted. It was same to me as driving on wet roads.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:48 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If the roads are clear of snow and the temps are anywhere close to 40 degrees I don't think you'll have any issues. I say that because I've driven twice recently with summer tires in Maine and the coldest was 36 degrees and I had no issues and drove 40 plus miles each time.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:01 PM
MikeZ
Instructor

Winter tires make snow driving fun. Summer tires make snow driving extremely hazardous.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:21 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Barn996
If the roads are clear of snow and the temps are anywhere close to 40 degrees I don't think you'll have any issues. I say that because I've driven twice recently with summer tires in Maine and the coldest was 36 degrees and I had no issues and drove 40 plus miles each time.
+1
just make sure teh road is dry and take it easy onm the corners...

can u fit 4 tires in your 996?
Old 12-17-2007, 01:43 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts

Three words based on experience: Don't do it.

Summer rubber isn't nearly as good when it gets cold, and no comparison if the roads are snow-covered. I've gone off the road twice in an Audi quattro because I thought my summer rubber could do it. Sure, it felt absolutely great until she broke free...just not worth it. How much front suspension damage would you have to pay for if you kissed a curb at 10mph?
Old 12-17-2007, 01:53 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

He's going 15km. With dry roads and an extra sense of caution he should be fine, especially since he's doing this to install snow tires.(and yes, snows actually make it fun and safer)
Old 12-17-2007, 01:54 PM
gregorycarl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tippy
Due winter tires really make that much difference? I only drove in snow once in Denver in the mountains, I felt very planted. It was same to me as driving on wet roads.
???
I can drive 80 miles an hour in rain with summer tires, if you tried that with an inch of snow with summers, you'd find the gaurd rail with-in a mile.

Winter tires make a huge difference. You can't drive anywhere in Minnesota in winter without all-seasons or winters - on any vehicle. A guy in a vette was stuck at the light last week spinning his rears like crazy. Danger to himself and anyone around him.

Safety first.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:20 PM
DanJK
Racer

Don't do it if there is any trace or temps are dipping below 40. I did it two weeks ago and ended up having to dump the car into a large pile of leaves on the slope of a small hill to avoid plowing into the UPS man. Without the leaves I would have done a number of my car banging the curbs on the way down.

I was shocked (I don't know why I was frankly) by how slippery summer performance tires are in cold weather. It caught me way off guard.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:24 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

My 996 C4 stays in the garage most of the winter but my '01 AWD RX300 daily driver runs on nice and quite and comfortably riding summer tires, Bridgestone Turanzas, all year around. I keep a set of quick and easy install tire chains on board for times of need.

IMMHO winter driving, SAFE driving, is more about the driver that anything else.

Heavily siped winter tires offer an advantage ONLY if the surface conditions are "loose" enough for the tread to sink in. Once the snow is packed down or the surface is icy, summer tires, with more contact surface area, will always offer more traction.

IMMHO TC, Traction Control (except to provide LSD functionality on RWD vehicles) is only, primarily, for those drivers with no experience or not enough common dense to "feather" the throttle just barely up to the point of loss of traction on the driven wheels. A secondary purpose, granted, is to provide a warning of slippery roadbed conditions that might not otherwsie be obvious to the driver.

Quick Reply: Driving in the snow w/ summer tires?